• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

CzarTim

How is the cleric in this game? I've been dying to play another MMO and healer is my favourite class.
Seriously a blast. One of the best healing classes I've ever played. Solo leveling it slower though (obviously.)

So if you pay $60 does that mean open beta starts tomorrow or is the early start only for when the game goes LIVE? Have they said when that'll be?
The game is already live for those who spent $200. Us $60ers should get in at midnight.

I'm really tired of playing mmos with large zones where I spend more time running from objective A to objective B. If this is closer to say Monster Hunter, queue up for adventure, have fun, come back home, I'm game.
Honestly, this is not that game. There is a group finder for certain instanced dungeons, but most of the game is solo going through quest areas and instanced dungeons (unless you have friends or make friends to group with).

Does it have controller support?

Looks like "no."

Recommended System Requirements:
OS: Windows® XP SP3, Windows Vista SP 2, Windows® 7 or Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz CPU equivalent or better
Memory: 2GB RAM or more
Video: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900GT performance or better, 512MB+ video ram
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers
Broadband Internet Connection Required

My crappy ass laptop actually meets the recommended system requirements for this game lol. Those are some really low recommended system requirements even for a MMO, especially in the age of i5/i7 and 560 GTX/AMD 6800 series recommended system requirements,

I might actually give it a shot!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Enjoyed the Close Beta and looking forward to jumping in, tempted to pay the $60 but not sure if it's worth the money.

No problem.. :) if you want to get a head start, log in and it should start the patching process. But go to Options and Disable On-Demand Patching, otherwise you'll be downloading each new area as you come to it. If you disable it, just restart the client and it'll download everything for you right off the bat.

Ricker

No problem.. :) if you want to get a head start, log in and it should start the patching process. But go to Options and Disable On-Demand Patching, otherwise you'll be downloading each new area as you come to it. If you disable it, just restart the client and it'll download everything for you right off the bat.

Good tip,just did that and it downloaded an additional 2.5 gig...

Qvoth

Seriously a blast. One of the best healing classes I've ever played. Solo leveling it slower though (obviously.)

i asked on one of the steam chats and they said clerics level faster though because of no down time and great aoe?
was surprised by their answer also
my hype went down after seeing one of the streams, but it's f2p anyway so i guess i'll still try it out

Abandond

Played a bit of it. I don't even think you can say it has any type of aiming since you can mouse over a target, move your mouse half way across the screen and you'll still be 'targeting' the initial person. I also felt that there were far too many skills to use, the quests were nothing special and the VA actually got annoying pretty quickly for me.

And I'm still bitter that they put the most popular D&D race behind a $200 pay wall, no thanks.

CzarTim

i asked on one of the steam chats and they said clerics level faster though because of no down time and great aoe?
was surprised by their answer also
my hype went down after seeing one of the streams, but it's f2p anyway so i guess i'll still try it out

This game is fairly easy and generous with health potions. There isn't a lot of downtime with any class.

BLunted

Banned
I was excited when I first heard about this game, then found out it's a PWE(Perfect World Entertainment) game.

Once released, the entire game will be focused around lockboxes/lottery/gambling microtransactions.

CzarTim

Do we know how many servers this is launching with?

I've been looking for this info since doing the OP and can't find it. All I've read is they plan on merging them into one once the launch dies down.

e: found it.

• Beholder
• Dragon
• Mindflayer

So three.

ZenVolta

During the beta im pretty sure I saw a locked class or race. Is there a list of classes? The website has a list of races but not the classes.

Wallach

Hey what's the server setup for Neverwinter? Are they using regional servers or a centralized server service (usually one of the Chicago outfits)?

CzarTim

Hey what's the server setup for Neverwinter? Are they using regional servers or a centralized server service (usually one of the Chicago outfits)?

There are only three, not sure where they are located. I do know they plan on merging them into one at some point.

Nymerio

The game is already live for those who spent $200. Us $60ers should get in at midnight.

Honestly, this is not that game. There is a group finder for certain instanced dungeons, but most of the game is solo going through quest areas and instanced dungeons (unless you have friends or make friends to group with).

Looks like "no."

Cool. Cleric it is then. Do you happen to know what level the dungeons start and how many there are?

Wiktor

I enjoyed the betas. The combat is fun, and graphics, while nothing impressive, evoke some sort of old DnD nostalgia from me. The base game seems solid, but Neverwinter will succeed or fail solely on the strenght of it's adventure making community. If people start pumping out great content, maybe even port some old PnP adventures, then the game should be a blast. I could see this becoming the only MMO I regularly play then.

Nymerio

13 sounds reasonable for launch, and there will be user-created dungeons anyway, right? Can't wait to try this.

Ricker

this made me start the download for the open beta.
Always play Healer Class

edit: only 3.7gb for Open Beta Client? Thats small

If you login it will patch and if you do the tip posted above it will download an additional 2.5 gig...all in all,it's close to 7 gig.

syko de4d

download is ultra slow for me, atm i have 1-4KB/sec o_O
Since yesterday i downloaded 550mb...

Looks like i cant play the open beta :/

Chronoja

download is ultra slow for me, atm i have 1-4KB/sec o_O
Since yesterday i downloaded 550mb...

Looks like i cant play the open beta :/

I'd suggest you download it from one of their partner sites. I had the same issue trying to download through their official launcher and the torrent.

I downloaded it from Gamershell and it was the full ~3gig rar file from which you extract and proceed from there with the installation.

I got up to like level 30 in the beta weekends with the tank guy. It was... ok. Wasn't the most innovative gameplay or best graphics or anything, it was just sort of ok. The PvP was fun, but if you can buy gear with money... NOPE.gif

I'll play it again when it comes out, but I'm not quite expecting this to be the next WoW or anything.

On a positive note though, the Foundry stuff could be awesome. It could be worth playing the game just for the player-made stuff if a community gets behind it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well I was going to get the $60 pack but they want €56 for it, think I'll just wait.

smr00

Banned
Couple of us rolled on Dragon also.
That's where i rolled on.

Started the second the servers went up and just realized i was playing for almost 5 and a half hours straight. Can't believe how much fun i am having, i haven't had this much fun with a MMO since wow launched almost a decade ago. Glad i bought the $60 and got the diamonds, ending up paying for the 24 slot bag because i kept running out of space and that is really my only real complaint is that i seems like you either have to farm diamonds (if that's possible?) to pay inflated prices on the AH or spend real money for bag space but i could be wrong, i have been knee deep in some user created stuff and main/side stuff.

I seriously love this game. And the PVP? Super fun. I absolutely melt faces with this rogue.

SUPARSTARX

I have an MMO itch. Will this suffice?!

Interested in healing classes, does anybody know how the cleric is playing at whatever level cap they have in the beta?

MooseKing

Banned
Honestly, their content creation system is amazing, and it would be a mistake for MMO's in the future not to include it.

But yes, some of the animations and models are terrible. But isn't Neogaf the "LAWL GRFX DNT MATTER BRO" website?

smr00

Banned
Honestly, their content creation system is amazing, and it would be a mistake for MMO's in the future not to include it.

But yes, some of the animations and models are terrible. But isn't Neogaf the "LAWL GRFX DNT MATTER BRO" website?
I love the feature.

Honestly, this is the best MMO i have played since my return to PC gaming a few months back and so far i have tried Guild Wars 2, SWTOR (they need to fix their F2P, a lot of stuff tied to the subscription and cartel puts me off), Conan, LOTRO, WOW, Star Trek and a few other F2P and none of those games held my interest for more then a few hours. GW2/SWTOR i still play from time to time with friends but none grabbed me like NW, none grabbed me so hard 5 hours of my life went poof like a blink of an eye.

I wish i could dive back in right now. Yeah, it's got problems but i wub it.

Cryptic, eh
Fool me once, etc.

Is the content creation substantially better than the Foundry in Star Trek (or the old quest creator in City of Heroes)?

Top Bottom