• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

am_dragon

I saw on Reddit that people were getting copies of Imperial Assault Twin Shadows, and Cool Stuff Inc was shipping pre-orders.

My sons and I have really been enjoying Imperial Assault Skirmishes and we are trying to figure out a good time for everyone to start the campaign. My 12 year old son quickly learned that no matter how cool they look two strong characters, AT-ST and Darth Vader, can't hold up to a team of 8+ Rebels. My only complaint so far is using the cardboard tokens for the rebel troopers and Rebel Saboteurs, I mean come on how much would it have cost them to include those figures in the box. I want the figures so bad but at $10 a piece it's so hard to spend that money. I mean I could buy Star Wars Action figures for less. Star Wars tax is real.

Experien

I saw on Reddit that people were getting copies of Imperial Assault Twin Shadows, and Cool Stuff Inc was shipping pre-orders.

My sons and I have really been enjoying Imperial Assault Skirmishes and we are trying to figure out a good time for everyone to start the campaign. My 12 year old son quickly learned that no matter how cool they look two strong characters, AT-ST and Darth Vader, can't hold up to a team of 8+ Rebels. My only complaint so far is using the cardboard tokens for the rebel troopers and Rebel Saboteurs, I mean come on how much would it have cost them to include those figures in the box. I want the figures so bad but at $10 a piece it's so hard to spend that money. I mean I could buy Star Wars Action figures for less. Star Wars tax is real.

It isn't $10 a piece; the sets of not named people (ie: not Han, Chewie, Royal Guard) are multiples in the package. So you can get the Rebel Troopers expansion at Miniature Market for $11ish and you get 3 minis, cards, and new skirmish mission. Rebel Saboteurs are $9ish for 2 minis, cards, and new skirmish mission.

Someone on here recommended Monopoly deal about a week ago for a quick two player game with my wife.

THANK YOU

we love it, I also picked up Sushi GO both of those games are pretty perfect for the couch while watching TV and hanging out.

ultron87

My copy of Mage Knight arrives today. I'm excited, but scared. Definitely playing a few solo games before involving anyone else.

Karkador

Banned
Is Monopoly Deal more of a "draw cards and play random shit to screw your opponent over" type of game, or does it actually have a sense of economics to it? Is there trading or negotiating at all?

am_dragon

It isn't $10 a piece; the sets of not named people (ie: not Han, Chewie, Royal Guard) are multiples in the package. So you can get the Rebel Troopers expansion at Miniature Market for $11ish and you get 3 minis, cards, and new skirmish mission. Rebel Saboteurs are $9ish for 2 minis, cards, and new skirmish mission.

I realize you get all three troopers in one box, it just seems like they could have included them. I have the cards, so I would be paying for 3 plastic army men. I also understand they are only used in skirmish, which was a nice add-on that was included in the box. They could have made skirmish separate from the campaign box and sold everything individually like X-Wing.

I'm just not use to "boardgames DLC" as my boys call it. I guess I should also be greatful they at not blind boxes or some other even uglier money grab.

cross posting from elsewhere because I couldn't get a solid answer:

Ran into an issue I'm hoping someone can help with before I try to pitch the game to my friends.

Playing solo but with 4 characters (to get a feel for each one). I ran into an issue where the Indian Scout (I5) revealed a new room (with 3 other possible connections), and so an Exploration token.

At I4, the Lawman rolled high enough movement to make it to a jigsaw piece on this new room tile, and thus could "peer through the door" to find another room. The problem is that I had no way to know if the jigsaw he was at was even an actual door. After all, the Exploration token hadn't been revealed so I had no idea how many doors there were (and if the connection he was standing on was even an actual door).

Is there something I'm missing? I mean, in the "A Fistful of Darkstone" mission, when you find the last Clue room it always has 0 exists. But again, those tokens aren't revealed until AFTER all models have activated.

Palmer_v1

Ran into an issue I'm hoping someone can help with before I try to pitch the game to my friends.

Playing solo but with 4 characters (to get a feel for each one). I ran into an issue where the Indian Scout (I5) revealed a new room (with 3 other possible connections), and so an Exploration token.

At I4, the Lawman rolled high enough movement to make it to a jigsaw piece on this new room tile, and thus could "peer through the door" to find another room. The problem is that I had no way to know if the jigsaw he was at was even an actual door. After all, the Exploration token hadn't been revealed so I had no idea how many doors there were (and if the connection he was standing on was even an actual door).

Is there something I'm missing? I mean, in the "A Fistful of Darkstone" mission, when you find the last Clue room it always has 0 exists. But again, those tokens aren't revealed until AFTER all models have activated.

You didn't specify, but this sounds like Brimstone for anyone wondering. When you exposed the 3 way room, if you didn't trigger anything that specifically blocked one of the paths, i think it means all possible paths will be "doors". It's been a while since I played and I don't have the rules in front of me.

Edit: Oh you had an exploration token in the room that wasn't resolved yet. Why wouldn't you have resolved it yet? Really can't remember the rules.

I realize you get all three troopers in one box, it just seems like they could have included them. I have the cards, so I would be paying for 3 plastic army men. I also understand they are only used in skirmish, which was a nice add-on that was included in the box. They could have made skirmish separate from the campaign box and sold everything individually like X-Wing.

I'm just not use to "boardgames DLC" as my boys call it. I guess I should also be greatful they at not blind boxes or some other even uglier money grab.

They did make Skirmish separate pretty much, thats why all the needed components for the board game are included. You don't want to figures? Then you don't need them as you get all the tokens and cards to play the characters in the board game. Like the new expansion coming out has Boba Fett in it, cards for him and tokens to use him in your game. You want Skirmish stuff, you can buy him separate, but you don't need to buy the mini packs at all to play the board game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Game is Shadows of Brimstone for anyone wondering. :)

There is not explicit rule that addresses your situation. However, here is my understanding of the rules.

Turn order

1. Hold back the darkness
  2. Models activate in initiative order
  3. Room exploration
  4. End of turn
The Scout revealed a map tile and placed an exploration token. Room exploration cannot happen until all models have been activated. So while the Lawman may be able to reach the half spot between rooms, you haven't explored the room yet to know if there are doors, portals, or dead ends. Even if he still has movement left, he must stop short of the "puzzle spot" that connects the current map tile to whatever is revealed during the exploration phase.

As such, you may not reveal more than one map tile on a given turn because exploration does not happen until after heroes have all activated and moved.

Is Monopoly Deal more of a "draw cards and play random shit to screw your opponent over" type of game, or does it actually have a sense of economics to it? Is there trading or negotiating at all?

No trading/negotiating, just pure "screw over the other guy" mechanics. Makes for quick games, which helps the fun factor a ton.

You didn't specify, but this sounds like Brimstone for anyone wondering.
Fuck I'm an idiot, yes, it is. The post I copied was in a dedicated Shadows of Brimstone thread, so it didn't occur to me that I never actually said the game title.

Game is Shadows of Brimstone for anyone wondering. :)

There is not explicit rule that addresses your situation. However, here is my understanding of the rules.

Turn order

1. Hold back the darkness
  2. Models activate in initiative order
  3. Room exploration
  4. End of turn
The Scout revealed a map tile and placed an exploration token. Room exploration cannot happen until all models have been activated. So while the Lawman may be able to reach the half spot between rooms, you haven't explored the room yet to know if there are doors, portals, or dead ends. Even if he still has movement left, he must stop short of the "puzzle spot" that connects the current map tile to whatever is revealed during the exploration phase.

As such, you may not reveal more than one map tile on a given turn because exploration does not happen until after heroes have all activated and moved.
That makes sense and is how I played it in the end, I just was hoping to find a hard rule somewhere. Maybe I'll email Flying Frog and see what they say.

Sorry if this is a common question but the OP just sort of fades out when it gets to this part... How do I save a few bucks (or euros, I guess) on this hobby over here in Europe? I'm new to it and want to dive in with a few games but the local prices are completely absurd and I don't know what online shop has good prices and honest shipping costs.

Board Game Geek has a "Hot Deals" part of the Forum. Here is the Euro-centric section:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1177627/boardgamegeek/hot-deals-europe

This is a handy price comparison site:

http://boardgameprices.co.uk/

It was through them that I found:

http://www.chaoscards.co.uk/

who tend to get most of my orders as an order of £20+ gets me free postage. Your mileage may vary if you are elsewhere in Yurop, I couldn't say, sorry.

However, my recommendation would be to try and find a local board gaming group if you can rather than going in blind on a game. Even if you favour very highly regarded games here and on Board Game Geek tastes still do vary after all. Perhaps your local game store has a group or can refer you to one?

Hope that helps.

That makes sense and is how I played it in the end, I just was hoping to find a hard rule somewhere. Maybe I'll email Flying Frog and see what they say.
I agree with nicoga3000. The only instance where you'd have more than one map tile revealed on a single turn is if the party split up to reveal two new tiles off the current tile, but then you're risking multiple attacks and potential horror hits from some people being too far away from the lantern. Just as was discussed, you just can't search off a newly revealed tile because the doors have yet to be placed.

>Shadows of Brimstone stuff<

Maybe I'll email Flying Frog and see what they say.

So I did this and they got back to me super quick:

As for your Shadows of Brimstone Rules Question, the intent is that you are not allowed to Search (Scavenge or Look Through a Doorway) during a Fight or while there is an Exploration Token on your Map Tile.

This means that when you Look Through a Doorway and place a Room Map Tile that has an Exploration Token on it, other Heroes can continue to move into that Room, but they are not allowed to Search in that Room until after the Exploration Token has been revealed and any Fight there has been completed. This is mainly because you don't know which doors are 'real' until the Exploration Token has been revealed.

So basically you can't Search on a tile with an Exploration token at all, not even to Scavenge.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I did this and they got back to me super quick:

So basically you can't Search on a tile with an Exploration token at all, not even to Scavenge.

Correct. That's also outlined in the rules. Page 12 states that, "A Hero may not Scavenge a Map Tile with an unrevealed Exploration Token on it..."

Also, reading some of the travel events in the 2 Adventure books is pretty amazing. Mr. Scratch is a terrifying being, but it's thematically amazing.

I can't wait to finally PLAY this game, ha.

They're making a revised edition of Through the Ages.

You alright, Platy?

Maybe they'll get it right this time. :p

I saw that video, smart of them to use same asset for digital version and design with that in mind.

Looks miles better than before, I might it this time too!

Have you seen the recent price for action figures? They are not cheap and have the worst articulations and paint job. Many of the cheaper figures are just chunk of poorly panted plastic. I agree it would be cooler to actually have figures to move around but by doing it this way they reduce the initial cost of entry (which is already quite high, even with buying from discount place like Amazon or CSI). Also keep in mind the production run of Star Wars Imp. Assault is probably much smaller than the action-figures.

My son and I played the entire campaign few weeks ago before and we never find the use of the tokens to be all that bad. Yes it would be nice to have the models but considering how they position the game to be both campaign and sustained it with collectible nature of 2-players (soon to be 4) skirmish game this is probably the best thing that they did. I was initially annoy when I read that they are doing the same route with the miniatures as they did with Descent but after I played a few games of skirmish I find this is a perfect compromise. I do find Fantasy Flights model to be the least anti-consumers when it come to expansion and packs. They don't do blind pack like WizKids or Wizard of the Coast. You buy what you want and get exactly what you paid for.

Can you imagine if they were to use the same money grabbing model like WizKids with their Dice Masters and Clix game or WotC with Magic and what they used to do with Star Wars miniatures.

The constant talk of it being a great single player game has interested me recently.

It is a great little gem and it's really a fun game. We have been playing the game for several years now, it's our camping game. It's essentially a set collection game with element of "take that" card playing. You put down card, put down property or money and then try to build a set (monopoly) and at the same time protecting your property and try to take your opponent property (by wither down their bank account). The game also go really fast and can play up to 5 players. For $6.00 I think it's worth the money actually my wife just replaced out old set since they get pretty beat up from camping.

There is no trading or negotiation, it as you said it's a draw cards and play cards to mess with your opponents type of games. You get 3 actions, you can either lay down card or cards and/ or play action cards, the action cards are the "take that" but they are not all bad for your opponents, some let you draw more cards some let you build house or hotel and they also have dual function and work as money if you don't used their "action" and just put them in your bank. Your bank is like your shield, and help protect your property from being taken.

Action figures are mass produced in far larger quantities than board game figures. Each one of those figures has likely several million pieces made of, while a typical board game plastic piece is only a couple thousand, few reach even million seller levels. Each mini has a big cost associated with it that these smaller board game companies can't afford to compete with giants like Hasbro

Imperial Assault Expansion Codename Boba Fett is already being sold? Last week it was on the boat and now Miniature Market is saying they have them in stock.

The expansions are all available at my local store yesterday. I only bought Boba Fett, but I did find Xenoyshyft Kickstarter version on their used shelf. Xenoshyft looks like it was just open to look at and everything just get put back in the box. I bought Gears of War from them "used" last month also in the similar condition, game is practically brand new. Cards didn't look like it was play with. I was surprise at first but then thinking about it, I used to do that with video games where I would buy them and let them sit on the shelf un-played for months so I am sure the same would apply to board game as far as backlog.

You actually get cards for skirmish game that are not in the core box plus the scenario for both skirmish and campaign. As I said earlier that they could have included the figures that would drive up the cost even more. The core game come with 34 figures, not huge amount but decent enough consider you get a big AT-ST and they are licensed minis. Actually if you look at it closely, they are making the skirmish "separate" just like X-wing that's why all the extra figures are sold separately just like how you would buy extra ship in X-wing to add to your army. Only difference is there is no campaign mode in X-wing. My son also call the add-on board game DLC. I am with you in that I am grateful FFG do not go to CCG or blind box route like many other game company. I love their LCG model for card games.

Experien

The expansions are all available at my local store yesterday. I only bought Boba Fett, but I did find Xenoyshyft Kickstarter version on their used shelf. Xenoshyft looks like it was just open to look at and everything just get put back in the box. I bought Gears of War from them "used" last month also in the similar condition, game is practically brand new. Cards didn't look like it was play with. I was surprise at first but then thinking about it, I used to do that with video games where I would buy them and let them sit on the shelf un-played for months so I am sure the same would apply to board game as far as backlog.

Man, none of my local game stores have used games. Do most stores do that or you got a big one nearby?

Man, none of my local game stores have used games. Do most stores do that or you got a big one nearby?

I find that usually big stores are the one that can afford to have a used section. The big one near me is Guardian Games in Portland (Oregon), this store is fairly big and they have a good selection in their used area (they also have great selection on new stuffs but they are all at MSRP).

My brother in law also has a large store by his house in Tri-Cities area of Washington and they also have used section. That said, just like video games they give you very little money for the trade-in. But it's nice for me to find some of the harder to find stuffs or even discount on some of the newer stuffs that are barely used. I picked up an expansion for Descent for $24.00 and it was also brand new condition just missing the crappy FFG cardboard insert. That said I much prefer they just have crappy cardboard insert than a nice but totally useless one like the one that come with Xenoshyft or Legendary Marvel.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I preordered Kingdom Death: Monster after reading about it. I'm starting to worry about the kickstarter stuff, though. As someone who didn't know about it until the post here on GAF a few days ago...I'm worried that the kickstarter exclusive stuff is going to have a dramatic impact on the game.

Neverfade

qscwSAQ.jpg

2 more LCGs to the collection.

This might get expensive.

So I preordered Kingdom Death: Monster after reading about it. I'm starting to worry about the kickstarter stuff, though. As someone who didn't know about it until the post here on GAF a few days ago...I'm worried that the kickstarter exclusive stuff is going to have a dramatic impact on the game.

Watching videos on how it's played completely turned me away from the cool looking games. Such an awfully bloated combat system. So many steps for simple things like making a simple basic attack.

GiJoccin

Now that I watched a video on Mysterium I really want it

Trying to decide on a new coop game after I got hanabi and liked it. Have it down to mage knight, shadows over camelot, space alert, eldritch horror, and ghost stories, but so hard to pick between them...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They're so different, but having played all of them except Eldritch I'd strongly recommend Ghost Stories, especially if you often have 4 (not required though) unless you're looking for something super deep (Mage Knight) or rich in theme (Eldritch). Shadows over Camelot and Ghost Stories are fairly similar complexity-wise (mediumweight at most) but the rest are definitely a level or two up in terms of complexity and playtime.

Neverfade

Don't forget the other game companies LC... ECGs.

Fortunately for my wallet, none have interested me so far.

Now that I watched a video on Mysterium I really want it

Trying to decide on a new coop game after I got hanabi and liked it. Have it down to mage knight, shadows over camelot, space alert, eldritch horror, and ghost stories, but so hard to pick between them...

Eldritch is my favorite of those by a large margin. Boils down Arkham near perfectly. Elder Sign is also fantastic (particularly with the Gates of Arkham expansion) if you want something even quicker.

Blizzard

Banned
The theme, characters, design, and text of Elder Sign had a ton more appeal to me than Ghost Stories, but I've always had a soft spot for lovecraftian stuff.

I've never been to a games store that had used games.

I didn't know they have used section either until one day I was there for like 4 hours (waiting for my daughter and her friends doing Studio Ghibi marathon shows at the OMSI IMAX and I was able to go through all their shelves. (Usually when I go there I stop in on the way home from somewhere and with the rest of my family groaning as I looking at stuffs so it was always rushing for me to leave).

ff6LGV1l.jpg

60xYP7Tl.jpg

This is just one side of the room, the other side has even more shelf with all board games. The used section is tuck away way in the back at the end. The back of their store has about 10 tables for gaming, and they have a section for CCG stuffs in the back (Magic, YuGiOH which I didn't know is still a thing and some Pokémon). This two pictures were from when Age of Sigma came out.

Here are the pics I took yesterday telling my brother in law to get in on Imperial Assault since my son left home I have no one to play it with.

eYMPQVkl.jpg

Their front table is for all the new stuffs. I usually find some interesting games there I never knew exist. Like Princess Bride card games. There are three versions of the game!

M4izPLil.jpg

Watching videos on how it's played completely turned me away from the cool looking games. Such an awfully bloated combat system. So many steps for simple things like making a simple basic attack.
I'm curious to see what the game actually is because, like you, I wasn't really impressed with what gameplay they did show. I think that this game is going to disappoint a lot of people.

fenners

I'm curious to see what the game actually is because, like you, I wasn't really impressed with what gameplay they did show. I think that this game is going to disappoint a lot of people.

WIth Monster Kingdom Death, I think a lot of backers drank a lot of kool-aid. Regardless of game quality, because it's so over the top & they're so invested, it'll be the new Best Thing Ever.

Looks like parts of it (not the game cards...... wot?) are beginning to ship to folk?

Mr E.

Picked up Galaxy defenders today. My son wanted a copy after watching Rahdo's Demo. Not super complex but a Ravenloft killer in my book. Levelling up is a lot more interesting in a persistent campaign. Optional difficulty levels based on friendly fire, facing, engagement etc make this the better game. Helps that it's X-com in all but name.

Would have preferred Gears of war but prices are getting silly on that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
WIth Monster Kingdom Death, I think a lot of backers drank a lot of kool-aid. Regardless of game quality, because it's so over the top & they're so invested, it'll be the new Best Thing Ever.

Looks like parts of it (not the game cards...... wot?) are beginning to ship to folk?

I started looking at those rules and I couldn't think of many games I would less want to play. I mean even a hardcore wargame would be more appealing because at least the complexity there serves a real purpose.

What are some good 2 player co-op games? Obviously no hidden traitor stuff, but what kind of co-op games scale well for 2 players?

Already have:
- Pandemic
- Myth
- Flash Point
- Legendary Aliens (may sell)
- Yggdrasil
- Mage Knight (amazing with 2)
- Hanabi

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I started looking at those rules and I couldn't think of many games I would less want to play. I mean even a hardcore wargame would be more appealing because at least the complexity there serves a real purpose.

It has a strong Monster Hunter vibe, and I think that's why I'm excited. The entire system as a whole is clearly not for everyone, though.

Faiz

I started Christmas shopping earlier that ever before. Wife wanted Viticulture, and then I discovered the Tuscany expansion won't be reprinted as an all-in-one-box and stock is dwindling at retailers. Ordered both from CSI Tuesday and they arrived today. So there's a big box in the closet now with a big warning drawn on it to stay out, haha.

Chorazin

What are some good 2 player co-op games? Obviously no hidden traitor stuff, but what kind of co-op games scale well for 2 players?

Already have:
- Pandemic
- Myth
- Flash Point
- Yggdrasil
- Hanabi

Mice and Mystics maybe?

Ecto311

Finally painted some of the mice and mystics figures. Here are some before and after shots from about an hour ago. Looks decent enough for never have painted anything really.

2CV9E03l.jpg

D2RgFyOl.jpg

ZXFi37vl.jpg

Second pic has a real grasshopper leg in it. Thought it would give me some good ideas for color. Was just laying there since there are a billion of them in the back yard.

My wife asked about putting grass around the figure instead of the blotches of it. I don't know what would look best and don't wanna have to clean it all off if it sucks.

Mr E.

Already have:
- Pandemic
- Myth
- Flash Point
- Yggdrasil
- Hanabi

Robinson Crusoe for replayability. Add voyage of the beagle for even more options. Each scenario is its own game.
Can be brutal and heavier mechanics. As someone who plays Mage Knight that shouldn't be a problem though.

Gears of war the board game. As you own Mage knight the similarities are in the Card driven mechanic. Your cards are your life points. I don't own this but it's got good recommendations and I'm currently searching for a copy myself.
Cons include limited scenarios, once you've played the scenarios you will know what to expect, doesn't make this easier though. Expansion is hard to find for decent price.
FFG's license has expired so I expect prices only to go up.

Freedom the Underground Railroad. This one draws comparisons to pandemic for me. The theme to this one makes Pandemic dryer than an Arabs shoe.
Flavour text on cards draw you in and I've checked Wikipedia based on characters in this game. Similar to pandemic there are many choices to make during your turn.
Game is easy to adjust difficulty based on set ups so you can scale this game well. I actually care about the cubes in this game. Pandemic wth expansions would offer more replayability I feel however.

Galaxy Defenders. If you want Amertrash fun this seems like a good option. Actually I just grabbed this recently.
I see a lot of support for Mice and Mystics, Ashardalon, Ravenloft etc. this beats them all hands down in my opinion and i never see this game mentioned. Missions are varied, not just kill, kill kill. Developers have given easy to implement optional rules to scale difficulty and great components. (Well the did produce war of the ring).
This one is most comparable to a video game, X-com actually. That may be a blessing or curse to you.
Looking at your collection this is probably furthest from anything you own and may not be appropriate.

Edit. It's probably comparable to Myth on second thoughts from your list. How are the rules in that lately? I remember them being a bit of a mess first time out are they sorted ?

Happy gaming.

Top Bottom