• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Calvin and Hobbes book releasing with in-depth Watterson interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, cool.

Not sure how I'm going to buy it, I'm not sure I need yet another book of the strips on my bookshelf just for the sake of the interview, but on the other hand it looks like the different sections might be interesting and Kindle seems like a horrible way to read something like this.

Loxley

Awesome, will definitely be checking this out.

It's insane how much potential money Waterson has turned away, and I'm not even talking about the extravagant Disney/Jim Davis method of slapping your characters on everything imaginable. If they just made an officially licensed Hobbes plush toy like the one Calvin has in the comics and sold it for $25-$35 a piece - I feel that alone would make millions. I continue to have mad respect for the guy.

It's insane how much potential money Waterson has turned away, and I'm not even talking about the extravagant Disney/Jim Davis method of slapping your characters on everything imaginable. If they just made an officially licensed Hobbes plush toy like the one Calvin has in the comics and sold it for $25-$35 a piece - I feel that alone would make millions. I continue to have mad respect for the guy.

Yeah, same. It's amazing that even years later he never caves and cashes out on the license. I'm sure he's doing well for himself anyway, but I couldn't handle the power to make millions of dollars by signing a piece of paper. Huge respect for him.

I always felt like he saw things a bit in black and white on that issue. He clearly has strong feelings about mass merchandising 'cheapening' the work but he's been so hardline on it. There must have been some kind of licensing that would have been acceptable. However...
1)He would say (and says said) sometimes black and white is the way things are.
2)Without any licensing at all, he work is more fondly remembered and respected than so many others.

NEO0MJ

Very tempting. Calvin and Hobbes is just divine.

1TXVYP1.gif

What the fuck is this?

DJ_Lae

I'm actually a little torn on buying it, which is weird. I have pretty much every book and collection back at my parents' place and I own the big box set myself. I fucking love Calvin & Hobbes.

The peek inside the book makes it look like a lot of repetition from the Tenth Anniversary book as far as inspiration goes and strips I've already read countless times. Is the remainder worth $17CDN to me? I dunno.

I'm actually a little torn on buying it, which is weird. I have pretty much every book and collection back at my parents' place and I own the big box set myself. I fucking love Calvin & Hobbes.

The peek inside the book makes it look like a lot of repetition from the Tenth Anniversary book as far as inspiration goes and strips I've already read countless times. Is the remainder worth $17CDN to me? I dunno.
I would do just about anything to support Bill Watterson and the work he has done, as it was such a formative part of my childhood and onwards. Reading Calvin and Hobbes would always lift my spirits (and still does so!), no matter what, and I couldn't possibly thank the man enough for it.

I like the fact that Watterson has admitted that he'll never share the Noodle Incident because "nothing he could come up with would be as outrageous as what the readers thought happened."

It still amazes me that he reportedly flat out turned down even speaking to various show business people that contacted his publisher even when he was still doing the comic. Imagine being so sure of yourself and what you want out of your craft that you don't even return a call to Spielberg. After all these years I can't help but be happy that he did just that though. I don't think that there is anything that could have been gained from a C&H cartoon/movie/whatever else. I just hope that whoever gets the rights after he dies has the same conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom