• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New F-Zero Climax (GBA)

According to http://www.gamefront.de Nintendo is working on a new F-Zero for
Game Boy Advance called F-Zero Climax.

First public presentation should take place at a New Nintendo Product Meeting (08/04 ~ 08/09).

Nintendo hasn't confirmed this yet and the game is not officially announced yet.

babelfish
23.07.04 - Nintendo is according to dealer data allegedly working on the game F-Zero Climax, which is to be revealed at product exhibitions" beginning at 04. August 2004 by Nintendo in Japan (events should running for five days).

Officially Nintendo did not announce F-Zero Climax yet, and also the development is not confirmed by Nintendo yet. Release: TBA (Japan).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
rawk said:
Much fun will be derived from the title of this game.

You read my mind. I'll start

I guess this game will finally satisfy my girlfriend...I certainly can't.

Acrylamid

Why should Nintendo release a third F-Zero for the GBA? IMO this is one of those series like Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Wave Race etc. that only need one game per hardware generation. Not counting the Satellaview and the DD version, the GBA is the first platform with two F-Zero games. A version for the DS would make much more sense.

jarrod

Banned
Only GX flopped (comparatively). Both Maximum Velocity and GP Legend have done pretty well.... still and 3rd GBA title is sorta overkill. I think Climax would be better served on DS.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
There's been a lot of F-Zero this gen. I wonder why they're pushing this series so much (well, apart from the F-Zero anime series being aired, although I don't know how successful that is), since they have better franchises to exploit IMO.

Soul4ger

Kiriku said:
There's been a lot of F-Zero this gen. I wonder why they're pushing this series so much (well, apart from the F-Zero anime series being aired, although I don't know how successful that is), since they have better franchises to exploit IMO.

To be perfectly honest, of their updates for this generation, I'd say F-Zero GX is the second best, behind Metroid Prime. The Mario and Zelda licenses might be better, but I think GX was a much better game. Just my opinion, though...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's going to be changed over F-Zero: GP Legend? Outside of difficulty, I've heard that game has just about everything you could want.

And damn, if this is true, I'm really pleased that Nintendo still has a lot of GBA content in the works, like Mother 3, F-Zero, Custom Robo, Pokemon Emerald, Fire Emblem 3, etc.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
To be perfectly honest, of their updates for this generation, I'd say F-Zero GX is the second best, behind Metroid Prime. The Mario and Zelda licenses might be better, but I think GX was a much better game. Just my opinion, though...
Actually, I'd say GX was an even better update than Prime. It did literally everything right... I actually don't think EAD themselves could've done a better job. Nintendo should really consider luring away Nagoshi and his team in the Sammy turmoil...

Jacobi

Banned
*readstheoriginaltext* I don't see a single clue for a GBA-version...maybe the pics of the list will get posted.
(BTW : Woohoo 4.8. DS info-blowout !!!)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Is there any proof that this is a GBA title and not a DS title?

Actually, since there is apparently some kind of embargo on DS info (until this very show, i'd imagine) I'd guess that it is a GBA title. I would also guess that it will have some DS features. Hell, I'd imagine that a good number of upcoming GBA titles will have DS features.

Acrylamid said:
Why should Nintendo release a third F-Zero for the GBA? IMO this is one of those series like Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Wave Race etc. that only need one game per hardware generation. Not counting the Satellaview and the DD version, the GBA is the first platform with two F-Zero games. A version for the DS would make much more sense.
Word. For a Nintendo series to have 3 similar entries on the same system within the span of 4 years is an exception to the rule (past 1990, anyway). Mario Party is the other exception that comes to mind; they might as well stick a year on that one.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I actually don't think EAD themselves could've done a better job. Nintendo should really consider luring away Nagoshi and his team in the Sammy turmoil...

The story mode was cool, but once you get past the cool FMV you realize the gameplay content took a big downgrade without the death race and random track generator. Not too mention the full-blown editor introduced in the DD expansion set.

I'd certainly agree with that. No matter how much I loved GX, I was still a bit let down because of the lack of editor. I was full sure, after the DD release, that we'd be given the chance to create our own masterpieces this generation. Just think of the reply value.

I'm after going back over my N64 collection recently and one thing that struck me about X, was how much better the physics are in the air. In GX, you either drop like a brick or float like a leaf, EAD got it just about perfect and it really adds to the game. Still both games are absolute gems that had me hooked for months on time trials alone. Really looking forward to the next outing, hopefully with a fully blown level editor.

We already have two quality f-zero's on the GBA for this gen. Nintendo should focus on getting me a DS version with track editor for launch.

oh well.

jarrod

Banned
Well you never know, Nagoshi said he'd like to do an upgrade disc... maybe we'll get F-Zero GXpansion with a track editor and LAN play next year? ;)

I'd like to see AV tackle WaveRace for Revolution if possible though.

cja

jarrod said:
Actually, I'd say GX was an even better update than Prime. It did literally everything right... I actually don't think EAD themselves could've done a better job.
GX a better update than Prime? I'm shocked by that comparison :p . Prime wasn't an update, it was a totally new engine and game based upon Nintendo Zelda/Metroid design lore and Metroid artistry and sound. AX/GX, now that was just a high poly, texturezilla version of F-Zero 64.

F-Zero GX is the most conservative of all GC sequels for me. Same ai, same amount of opposition, virtually identical control scheme, hell even the same crash animations, the game looked great and the course design was top notch but it didn't do anything new. The story mode was a nice change but it didn't add to the formula or meat of the game. Now compare that to WR:BS which is considered by many the most conservative of all GC Nintendo sequels. Double the racers, four player mode, competitor ai overhauled, boost system cleverly integrated, more involved stunt system and challenges, turn up the environmental effects up a few notches that are far more cleverly used to change course conditions.... far more of a sequel than GX... :)

jarrod

Banned
Well, let's not forget Blue Storm's unforgiving controls, crap course design and (outside water effects) first generation Dreamcast visuals. At least Nagoshi's team actually managed to build on the funtamentals rather than fucking them up. ;)

Also lets not forget the added AX tracks/vehicles/parts, jaw dropping visuals (really the biggest area BS fell apart), tweaked handling on some vehicles (though for the most part they were the same), story mode, increased sense of speed (thanks to the visuals really), 1st person view... if you consider GX a remake (which I could agree with), then I'd have to say it's by a wide margin the best one we've seen this generation (sorry Capcom, GameFreak & Konami/SK). It craps all over Blue Storm.

Oh well at the least the media agrees with me...

-F-Zero GX (GameCube) 89.8%
-F-Zero X (Nintendo 64) 84.9%

-WaveRace: Blue Storm (GameCube) 82.2%
-WaveRace 64 (Nintendo 64) 89.1%

Also, given the quality of EAD's other N64 updates (Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Double Dash) I can without doubt say they're slipping and likely would've delivered something less than GX if given the chance. Just my opinion anyway, be happy they didn't let NdCube follow through with it...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well, let's not forget Blue Storm's unforgiving controls, crap course design and (outside water effects) first generation Dreamcast visuals. At least Nagoshi's team actually managed to build on the funtamentals rather than fucking them up.

First-gen dreamcast visuals? unforgiving controls? crap course design? Welcome to Generalization inc. : Mega Jarrod Lies !! Blue Storm was a great game it's too bad you negatively look at it. I doubt you even played it much, because someone who played the game wouldn't say some thing like "crap course design". Sounds like something you'd say if you played the novice circuit for 5 seconds.

GX was a good game, but I don't think I'm with you on this whole Nagoshi should do this, do that. Especially when I doubt they will ever do a Nintendo game again since this deal was a bust.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Pity about GX's music. What a let down.

Except for that track with the pale brown buildings in the background. That music was quite nice, if not very F-Zero-ey.

I still prefer F-Zero X myself. More courses, better designed in my view although that's completely subjective, better music, death race...guess I just had more fun.

Mix the best of X with GX though (speed, graphics, extras from GX) and you'd have an unbelievable game. Throw in a track editor and I might just die.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
F-Zero X was just one of Nintendo's best games ever. The music was better in X too!! GX had like 2-3 good tracks with a lot of generic techno, X was a nice change too with the hardrock - metal concept.

jarrod

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
First-gen dreamcast visuals? unforgiving controls? crap course design? Welcome to Generalization inc. : Mega Jarrod Lies !! Blue Storm was a great game it's too bad you negatively look at it. I doubt you even played it much, because someone who played the game wouldn't say some thing like "crap course design". Sounds like something you'd say if you played the novice circuit for 5 seconds.
I don't have to "look negatively" at the game, I played it. Extensively thanks, no need to go Olimario on me. Nice enough for a rushed launch game, I'd say a solid B- all around considering. Water effects were amazing and the weather added a significant vaiable but really I felt everything else was a step backwards from 64 in terms design and presentation. Like most of Nintendo's updates this generation truthfully, a few new elements might be ingenoius but the overall package just fails to make the same standard...

Shikamaru Ninja said:
GX was a good game, but I don't think I'm with you on this whole Nagoshi should do this, do that. Especially when I doubt they will ever do a Nintendo game again since this deal was a bust.
How was the deal a bust? Certainly not critically like Blue Storm... or NST's software in general. :p

Sales wise the game didn't really take off but it sold in line EAD's F-Zero X (slightly better actually). Compared to the massive difference in sales bewteen Wave Race 64 and Blue Storm, I'm not sure what you were expecting for GX. At least Nintendo/Sega likely more than recouped their investment, especially considering the dual Tri-Force release bringing in extra revenue.

Mama Smurf said:
Pity about GX's music. What a let down.
I agree with that, though blame there should be leveled at Wavemaster rather than Amusement Vision. ;)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You guys should like the music in the new F-Zero Falcon game, it has some F-Zero X tunes in there, as well as the original SNES music. Too bad the music is hindered by the crappy sound chip/quality of the GBA

Top Bottom