• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New game from Wideload, Alex Seropian named, dated

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/28/news_6111800.html

Stubbs the Zombie being built on top of the Halo engine; Aspyr pegs summer '05 as day the bloody demon arrives. Exclusive screens, developer video inside.

The first title from Halo designer and Bungie co-founder Alex Seropian is finally coming into view. Tomorrow morning, game publisher Aspyr will reveal that the title Seropian's Wideload Games has been working on will carry the title Stubbs the Zombie in "Rebel without a Pulse". The game is destined for the Xbox, PC, and Mac sometime during the summer months of next year.

Working on the game in Wideload's Chicago-based studio are eleven full-time staffers; they are being supplanted by 30-35 outside artists, programmers, and coders. Such is the unique business model and company structure created by Seropian to keep costs down and maintain an environment where creativity is encouraged and bureaucracy is kept at bay.

"The bulk of the talent comes together for a project rather than being employed by a studio," Seropian told GameSpot today in a visit. Saying he draws inspiration and techniques of project management "from the way movies are made," he is hopeful the upcoming game will appeal to action gamers who have a sense of humor and maintain appreciation for the game mechanics and AI popularized by his seminal run and gun classic, Halo.

Austin-based publisher Aspyr dropped hints today that it would put the full range of talent it controls--which includes film and music production divisions--behind the game, although it declined to elaborate, pointing instead to an update to the Stubbs story due sometime next month.

Going for laughs as well as action, the game's backgrounder describes a game where "players take on the role of the rebel himself--Stubbs, a wisecracking Zombie who takes on an ultra-modern city of the future using nothing but his own carcass and the weapons of his possessed enemies. The game’s tongue-in-cheek humor, innovative combat and strong storyline keep Stubbs the Zombie’s gameplay as bizarre and unpredictable as its namesake."

Seropian addresses the game and development process more fully in the accompanying GameSpot Live-produced Developer Diary. All but one of the screens of the game are exclusive to GameSpot readers.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot
POSTED: 10/28/04 06:00 PM PST

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
awesome. been waiting to hear what they've been working on.

playing as a zombie taking on a city could be interesting too... though i admit, it kinda sounds a little fruity at this point ;)

stubbs_screen001.jpg

stubbs_screen002.jpg

stubbs_screen003.jpg

stubbs_screen004.jpg

stubbs_screen005.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nice. past zombie games haven't featured enough brain-eating. stubbs seems to remedy that.

stubbs_screen003.jpg

Hannibal Lector approves this game. Looks very nice :) I just hope they optimize the engine for PC in this case, because I tried Halo on my PC and it ran horrible, but I'd rather play this game on PC.

LukeSmith

I was really looking forward to this game, considering the engine, Alex and the fact that I think several Bungie guys will leave Bungie soon to head over to Wideload -- but now that I know what it's about -- at this point, I'm not interested. I look forward to seeing it develop. Halo began as an RTS and looked like ass in the beginning. :(

Deku Tree

How are they using the Halo engine? Is this even a shooter? My excitement for this game dropped from 8.0/10 to 3.0/10 after reading all that.

LukeSmith

After watching Alex talk about it -- the concept may actually be interesting, but isn't geist coming out next year and offering similar possession-type skills? Bungie guys will go work on this game. Reuniting with Alex or taking the corporate Microsoft dollar, what's a dev to do.

ferricide

wow, didn't get the impression they'd go live with this online yet. neat.

i saw this today, and came away pleased. the sense of humor is actually funny, the game has some cool concepts, and looks solid all around. hope it turns out well.

Meier

The pics and text dont really do much to explain what is actually going on in them. Who in these images is Stubbs; Is the goal to kill guys, turn them into zombies and then overrun the town? etc. etc. Looks good but I'd like to know more about the title.

ferricide

Meier said:
Is the goal to kill guys, turn them into zombies and then overrun the town? etc. etc.
more or less. you kill dudes, they reanimate, they start killing other dudes, then get killed by the AIs, who you then kill... etc. keeps going ad infinitum, i guess.

it's oddly violent and .. well, you can tell it's the halo engine, which i didn't expect.

definitely worth keeping your eyes on, even if this initial impression left you confused or disinterested.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i dont think other bungie poeple will be leaving for wideload anytime soon, as wideload is already made up of quite a few ex-bungie peeps who left back when alex did...

and its due out summer 2005? thats not all that far off. cool :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
stubbs_screen001.jpg

'Cause This Is Thriller, Thriller Night
And No One's Gonna Save You From The Beast About To Strike
You Know It's Thriller, Thriller Night
You're Fighting For Your Life Inside A Killer, Thriller
Tonight

SyNapSe

ferricide said:
definitely worth keeping your eyes on, even if this initial impression left you confused or disinterested.

It sounds strange so far. I guess we'll hold out for more information

ManaByte

Gold Member
Deku Tree said:
How are they using the Halo engine? Is this even a shooter? My excitement for this game dropped from 8.0/10 to 3.0/10 after reading all that.

The same way Acclaim used the Turok engine for NFL Quarterback Club on the N64.

The same way the Unreal engine is being used for non-FPSs...

ManaByte said:
The same way Acclaim used the Turok engine for NFL Quarterback Club on the N64.

The same way the Unreal engine is being used for non-FPSs...
i think he meant how are they getting access to it, and not how are they using it for a non-fps game.

GhaleonEB

ImNotLikeThem said:
i think he meant how are they getting access to it, and not how are they using it for a non-fps game.

When Wideload was announced, it was also announced that Alex had licensed the Halo engine from Bungie. It's cool that Bungie is helping him out. He has permission to modify it, which he's done.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ImNotLikeThem said:

The head of the design studio used to work at Bungie and is still in their good books, thats how.

Top Bottom