• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Genji Screens from Game Watch

olimario

Banned
not a jaggy mess

gen01.jpg

or is it?
gen02.jpg
gen03.jpg
gen04.jpg
gen05.jpg
gen06.jpg
gen07.jpg
gen08.jpg
gen09.jpg
gen10.jpg

gen11.jpg
gen12.jpg
gen13.jpg
gen14.jpg
gen15.jpg
gen16.jpg
gen17.jpg
gen18.jpg
gen19.jpg
gen20.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The showfloor presentation video made this game look very very nice, these screens don't seem to do it justice.

Elios83

In this video it looks better than Onimusha 3 IMO.

mms://stream.playstation.jp/scej/tgs2004/mv_stg_genji.wmv

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Genji doesn't look bad at all in that video, quite an improvement over what I've seen in Blood Will Tell lately(neat little game as it is).

How was Bujingai? The middling reviews kept me at bay, but sword-based action games usually go over well with me, and my curiosity still remains strong.

Meier

I hope it's just the result of bad captures because the artstyle for this game is arguably the best in any game I've ever seen. It's utterly gorgeous... but I just cant play a game with massive amounts of jaggies any more. They're unacceptable in 2004 (nearly 2005).

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
That looks like a very highly polished hack and slash. I want this very much indeed.

Genji = owning me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some of the pictures look really nice, some not so.

This one I like. When I saw it at first I thought it was a concept art for the game, and not an actual screenshot.

gen20.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marconelly said:
Some of the pictures look really nice, some not so.

This one I like. When I saw it at first I thought it was a concept art for the game, and not an actual screenshot.

gen20.jpg

That would be some mighty aliased concept art.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I like the zoomed out pics the best.
And it's funny how this game was revealed at the same time as Wanda, 'cause it's like the total opposite to Wanda when it comes to color palette. Wanda uses colors with low saturation, has a very grey and soft look to it. Genji has very high saturation, sharp colors. But both games partly rely on their color palettes to create distinctive graphical styles IMO.

belgurdo

Banned
Is there a good reason to be excited about this? I see these screens and just see an amalgamation of every guy-with-sword-chop-em-up brawler that's been coming out since 2001...

ferricide

belgurdo said:
Is there a good reason to be excited about this? I see these screens and just see an amalgamation of every guy-with-sword-chop-em-up brawler that's been coming out since 2001...
people are saying it's one of the better ones. i felt the same as you so i didn't bother playing it at TGS, but i've been hearing really positive stuff from those who did. wish i'd've given it a shot now.

aside from PSP and wanda, sony's booth was 'fuck off, unoriginal game" central. i walked right past arc the lad generations and wild arms 739273 without playing them because the last ones in the series were so unnecessary. wish i'd given genji more than a glance now.

nitewulf

PhatSaqs said:
This game looks like country oven fried shit compared to Wanda.

ahhh, but what doesn't?

this looks very generic to me, not bad, just generic. we've seen lots of these before. bald guy with the big weapon, fruity metrosexual with the sword. folklore/myth based locales and boss(es). but as an action game fan i'll say we cant have enough of these games.

nitewulf said:
ahhh, but what doesn't?

this looks very generic to me, not bad, just generic. we've seen lots of these before. bald guy with the big weapon, fruity metrosexual with the sword. folklore/myth based locales and boss(es). but as an action game fan i'll say we cant have enough of these games.

Truly Wanda is something special.

And I now the position your in. I think, I shouldn't be so attracted to this game, but I just am.

Anyway theory no.1 I saw a lot of these shots at the official site except they were much smaller, so I wonder if these are blown up captures?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That would be some mighty aliased concept art.
Well, that's the thing that gave it away, but other than that, it really does look like a concept art, especially if look from a few feet away so you can't see the individual pixels.

Matlock

Banned
I'd also like to mirror nitewulf's "generic" comments and add in "boring."

There's no life in this game. :-\

[edit] - in reference to the visual style

aku:jiki

Brandon F said:
How was Bujingai?
Painfully mediocre. And that's coming from a huge fan of the stylish 3rd person action dude-with-a-sword-and/or-gun-and-colorful-splashing-effects type of beat 'em up genre.

I will agree that the video looked much better, though. Looked pretty good indeed. And, despite the bad aliasing here, this still looks good. The colors are great, I especially like the vibrant yellow.

Top Bottom