• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Their is no reason Ubisoft shouldn't be able to put out Rockstar level games

ManaByte

Gold Member
21182115ee272a6bf8236fc3d5f018d4.gif

Rockstar puts out like one game every 6 or 7 years at this point, Ubi works on a much faster schedule. Not a lot of comparables there.

Zacfoldor

It’s like saying a high school football team could compete in the NFL because there are the same number of people on both teams.

Last edited:

Audiophile

They had chance after chance and now their entire market cap is about 2/3 the reported budget of Rockstar/Take Two's GTAVI.

How on earth you have Assassin's Creed, Tom Clancy, Prince Of Persia, Rayman, Far Cry, Anno/Settlers, Trackmania/Trials, Just Dance; licenses for Avatar, South Park, Star Wars and Uno & a slate of old IPs ripe for remasters, remakes and reboots, yet have a market cap of $1.4B, I can't even fathom. They peaked twice at $12.5B, they should easily be worth >$18B.

What an absolute shambles.

Last edited:

Nydius

It's release will radically change the gaming industry

This is some grade A hyperbole. GTA6 is going to be more of the same as GTA5, not some earth shattering, industry defining moment.

Then again, does it really make sense for them to "waste" time on smaller games, when the big ones sell like crazy? I don't know.

Probably not but my counter argument isn’t that their “big games” sell like crazy, it was 7 years of milking whales with GTAO and multiple rereleases of a single game. People around here bitch and moan about shady microtransactions and greedy remasters; Could there be anything more greed-oriented than the way GTA5/GTAO was run?

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I don’t think Rockstar is a benchmark to be emulated anymore. They’ve been coasting on GTA5/GTAO since 2013 and RDR2 since 2018. Long gone are the days when Rockstar gave us three quality GTA games in a single generation while also working on pet projects like Table Tennis, Bully, Midnight Club, and others.

We’re lucky if we get one to two Rockstar games every decade. That’s the opposite extreme to Ubisoft’s situation. Both need to find a middle ground.

Edit: “Coasting” was probably a poor choice of words given that we know GTA6 is coming. But my point is we shouldn’t have to wait twelve to thirteen years between sequels when the only other major project they did in that time was Red Dead Redemption 2.

Rockstar Studio is entirely dependent on a single game.
That's a very precarious position to be in.

Jakk

This is some grade A hyperbole. GTA6 is going to be more of the same as GTA5, not some earth shattering, industry defining moment.

Probably not but my counter argument isn’t that their “big games” sell like crazy, it was 7 years of milking whales with GTAO and multiple rereleases of a single game. People around here bitch and moan about shady microtransactions and greedy remasters; Could there be anything more greed-oriented than the way GTA5/GTAO was run?
Yeah I agree that re-releasing GTA V so many times is greedy, but it's not like they were doing nothing during those 7 years. RDR2 was an absolutely huge project and I think it still dwarfs a lot of games coming out today in a lot of aspects.

And while I think a lot of people have absolutely unreal expectations for GTA VI, the former R* dev you were quoting wasn't involved with GTA VI in any way... I think it's a bit too early to say it's going to be the same as GTA V. Of course the basic formula is still a GTA, but there's a lot of areas where VI can and hopefully will improve over V.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Patrick Desilet the creator of AC was against yearly spam franchise, they fired him for this, since then there gave never been an AC with the magic of the first 3 where he was involved. (Altho BF was awesome too but not Brotherhood level)
Poor dude had the worst luck. He decides to leave Ubisoft because they were trying to squeeze every ounce of energy out of him, moves to THQ. THQ eventually go bankrupt and they sell the studio where Desilets was... to Ubisoft.

Who quite literally throw him out.

Mobilemofo

Ubisoft has 20,000 employees. Rockstar has like 2000

their is no reason Ubisoft shouldn't be able to put out Rockstar level games quality wise and without it being a buggy mess

Unless you think Rockstar is just a more talented company, their is no excuse for Ubisoft
Quality Vs quantity. A literal case.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
GTA 5 was built on PS3/360 architecture. Online was an afterthought component that didn't become big until years after release. Rockstar, now is building GTA 6 to be a massive ongoing game for the next 10-15 years. Their budget is upwards of 2 billion dollars. If they just update their combat mechanics, with those graphics in the trailer, in a new city, it will be the biggest gaas game on the market(including fortnite). That's without even including all the more interactive things they'll add, just like they did with RDR2

Last month GTA 5 was the most sold game in Europe for Christ sakes

their is no reason Ubisoft shouldn't be able to put out Rockstar level games quality wise and without it being a buggy mess

Unless you think Rockstar is just a more talented company, their is no excuse for Ubisoft

Uuhhh know, completely different companies. Also notice that with Rockstar games, the edgy, anti political correctness based marketing basically writes itself; whereas with Ubisoft everything is mellowed to the most generic wash you have ever played.

RCX

Back when they started making assassins creed and PoP i wouldve agreed with you.

But they haven't made genuinely great games in years now. Big head count doesn't = ability.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Ubisoft is preaching to the wrong crowds, they’re doing too much, I don’t need DLC characters for rainbow six, assassins creed games do get better, going historical was gutsy in 2017, I think their abilities are there.

AmuroChan

Apples and oranges. Rockstar is a subsidiary of Take-Two who is given carte blanche and a blank check to make one GTA game every decade. Ubisoft is a publisher to dozens of different studios and they have to release games at a regular cadence in order to pay the bills.

bender

What time is it?
GTA Online is seemingly a never ended money spigot that affords Rockstar to have really long production schedules that most other studios, Ubisoft included, don't have the luxury of having. Raw headcount isn't an easy shortcut either.

tommib

Gold Member
Can we fix the thread typo? There’s barely a thread without a grammar or typo mistake. Come on, people.

They beat Rockstar to the punch with Driver, but they never invested enough in the IP to go head to head with GTA after 3.

Last edited:

SHA

What does a generation even mean to that bs from those companies ? If I spent $70 It has to be an investment, not an ordinary trip for 2 weeks, every time it has to feel different and special.

hussar16

Rockstar is alot more talented. Rockstar also clearly has great game directors that won't release a boring long game. Ubisoft has awful gane directors

Top Bottom