• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gurren Lagann Blu Ray set announced for North America (Vol. 1 11/11, Vol. 2 12/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thats just Aniplex pricing. Most of it is reasonable.

To be fair their BDs have better than encoding than any of the regular US licensees. A lot of them have quality degradation put into them to put down the number of disks printed which introduces banding and other defects. (Funimation)

mdubs

Banned
Aniplex of America is basically the devil of anime. The fact we have to celebrate the entire series being released for around $250 is absurd.

I mean like damn, they couldn't even be bothered to release Silver Spoon on BD. Now excuse me while I go and hug all my reasonably priced Funimation BDs.

To be fair their BDs have better than encoding than any of the regular US licensees. A lot of them have quality degradation put into them to put down the number of disks printed which introduces banding and other defects. (Funimation)

Don't care. They're cheaper.

I've never seen this show before, but I've had it continuously recommended to me. In the early 2000s, I used to buy a lot of anime on VHS and DVD. They had the exact same number of episodes included per cassette or disc, but they certainly didn't cost $60 per volume. That's fucking absurd. I would pay like $30 to $40. That was still a lot of money to pay, and I always hated that they charged that much per volume.

IT's on Netflix and Crunchyroll if you have those. Go watch it.

ghostjoke

Banned
If this leads to me having to listen to another wave of people go on about how emotional ep 8 is I'm going to kill someone.

Ventara

Eh, I'll pass. A bit too rich for my blood. If they release a complete blu-ray collection at a more reasonable price, I'd bite.

And GL is a bit over-rated anyways. A solid 7/10 anime, but not as good as some make it out to be.

Dead

well not really...yet
The price is fair. If it's too much for you, just watch it on Netflix or whatever. Aniplex clearly caters to a collector/premium market, and that's fine because no one in the US is doing so.

Aniplex of America is basically the devil of anime. The fact we have to celebrate the entire series being released for around $250 is absurd.

I mean like damn, they couldn't even be bothered to release Silver Spoon on BD. Now excuse me while I go and hug all my reasonably priced Funimation BDs.
reasonably priced but terribly authored with piss poor quality control are terribad package design

mdubs

Banned
The price is fair. If it's too much for you, just watch it on Netflix or whatever. Aniplex clearly caters to a collector/premium market, and that's fine because no one in the US is doing so.

reasonably priced but terribly authored with piss poor quality control are terribad package design

And also multiple hundreds of dollars cheaper in some cases, so I can live with all of that.

I can't wait for the thread where Persona 3 movie 1's domestic release is announced. That will cause a decent shitstorm on NeoGAF.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

How is it fair? On sale it is $50 for around 2 hours of content on 1 Blu-ray disc.

Pachinko

I've been wanting to buy this show for years but it still isn't at a price cheap enough for me.

I mean, this show is 7 years old now. They should be releasing a no frills box set with all 26 episodes for 49.99. It can be watched in DVD quality on netflix right now.

I realize they have a niche market that's still buying this stuff but on the other hand , they already catered to the hardcore collector audience with the jumbo 550$ box set. Now they should be racing to the bottom with pricing. This will likely also be released as 6 or 7 volumes too, they've only got the first 2 announced online right now for 50 bucks a pop , who knows if they'll keep the price the same when they inevitably put only 3 or 4 episodes on a disc.

JLynn

*Kisses region free Blu-ray player*

Aniplex is the reason why I bought one. Fuck all that noise. I'll import the UK sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom