• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seriously, I should attempt to exploit their politeness for monetary gain, when they could just as easily either do the article anyway without permission and at worst have an eventual C&D compliance after they get all their pageviews anyway, or just not do the article to begin with?

It's mutually beneficial for Kotaku, which gets an article of interest to its userbase, and NeoGAF, which gets positive exposure and further legitimacy as a significant gaming community (yes, really, from Kotaku). Just look at a few days ago, when Destructoid used a few cherrypicked sensationalist responses from a several thousand reply thread about Uncharted 3 review scores to paint NeoGAF in the worst possible light. The Kotaku piece is a good thing and they're cool for wanting to start a series along these lines.

Meier

EviLore said:
Seriously, I should attempt to exploit their politeness for monetary gain, when they could just as easily either do the article anyway without permission and at worst have an eventual C&D compliance after they get all their pageviews anyway, or just not do the article to begin with?

It's mutually beneficial for Kotaku, which gets an article of interest to its userbase, and NeoGAF, which gets positive exposure and further legitimacy as a significant gaming community (yes, really, from Kotaku). Just look at a few days ago, when Destructoid used a few cherrypicked sensationalist responses from a several thousand reply thread about Uncharted 3 review scores to paint NeoGAF in the worst possible light. The Kotaku piece is a good thing and they're cool for wanting to start a series along these lines.
It might not be a bad idea to post a sticky with this info or something. I saw references to GAF selling out to Kotaku, etc. so it's confusing as it absolutely does seem like something they'd have to pay to run. Initially when I came across the post on their site, I thought maybe scoularis was a Kotaku staffer and was eliciting responses secretly.

I imagine a lot of long-time posters are on the fence about more and more mainstream exposure rather than just nods and tip of the caps because for years it felt a bit like we were a part of sort of exclusive club. At the same time, I am such a huge fan of the site that it's cool others can get exposed to it.

Dennis

Banned
EviLore said:
I think that was the preliminary figure, with 22GB compressed being the actual amount. CBA to confirm ;b
That is pretty small. I could carry GAF around in my pocket on a $29.99 flashdrive!

Londa

Banned
Corto said:
Here. I've just now quoted your entire post. What are you going to do?

I can even post it without its quote tags

I will be deleting any traces of my black gaf logo. Forget that. Just cause I'm on a forum and posting doesn't mean I agree with gaf using whatever I post. I never said ok to that when I signed up to this site.

It's mine now.
I'm talking about art.

Wallach

Meier said:
It might not be a bad idea to post a sticky with this info or something. I saw references to GAF selling out to Kotaku, etc. so it's confusing as it absolutely does seem like something they'd have to pay to run. Initially when I came across the post on their site, I thought maybe scoularis was a Kotaku staffer and was eliciting responses secretly.

Well, we had a thread about this article with crecente actually posting there, but it derailed very quickly into this TOS shit.

besada said:
You can't legally though. GAF has been given a non-exclusive license to what's posted, but individual users of GAF haven't.
GAF just needs to grant each of its users rights to all the other users' submissions, then.

Meier

Wallach said:
Well, we had a thread about this article with crecente actually posting there, but it derailed very quickly into this TOS shit.
Yeah I saw that and read a wee bit but noticed it was locked so i didn't get too caught up in it since I knew I couldn't respond even if I wanted to.

One thing that blows my mind.. he's 41?! Surely that can't be accurate.. dude has aged WELL apparently.

Fugu

- Why is attribution not mandatory?
- Why is the license transferable?
- Why does the wording not indicate a hard distinction between works posted on GAF and works not posted on GAF?
- Why were we not notified of the revised ToS?
- Why is it applicable to posts made before the revised ToS?
- Why does it apply to PMs?

I understand the need for legal clarity so that posts on NeoGAF can be used in places other than NeoGAF. In that manner, I'm not really opposed to what this revision is trying to accomplish. I just think that the manner in which it is being executed is unusual and detrimental. Why are posts not merely licensed under a CC-BY-SA arrangement?

Not that it makes much difference to me, but for clarity, given the comments that the site only retains the url to images, does that mean that any images made/posted by users here cannot be used, sold, transferred, etc. to others, thus leaving only text as the thing to "worry" about? Or is there some kind of legal justification to the right for Neogaf to use images posted here anyway?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What the hell is this black GAF logo bullshit? Is it a logo only for black people on GAF? Is the the GAF logo with a different color scheme?

Either way, I sincerely hope everyone that posted in this thread or any thread on GAF burns in hell for eternity for their sins.

-God Emit

EviLore said:
Realistically anything beyond that, such as finding the author of a post on a forum and private messaging him asking for permission, isn't really going to happen on the internet.

If I'm interpreting this correctly are you saying that if Kotaku wants to repost something from here they can just go ahead and do it? No attempt will even be made to ask the original poster for permission? Doesn't sound cool to me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
rainking187 said:
If I'm interpreting this correctly are you saying that if Kotaku wants to repost something from here they can just go ahead and do it? No attempt will even be made to ask the original poster for permission? Doesn't sound cool to me.

Do you work for Fox News?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
rainking187 said:

Uhm... people have been doing that forever. This is a public forum bro - everything you post here is viewed by anyone on the internet with a will to look at it.

Meier

Kinitari said:
Uhm... people have been doing that forever. This is a public forum bro - everything you post here is viewed by anyone on the internet with a will to look at it.
Yeah, news services do it ALL the time although now with Twitter, they often will credit the poster since it's fairly easy to find that info out. EW or CNN and the like will often just repost comments to news stories as "fan reactions" and say "an internet poster said" or whatever.

Sharing content isn't uncommon for mainstream media news sites btw. It's how the Associated Press works. It's also not uncommon for photos, packages and other content to be shared. When a really good picture or article gets reproduced a billion times on TV or your morning paper, the person who created it doesn't get extra money or anything. A lot if times credit will also only be given to the publication itself, i.e. “The New York times reported today...”

Since there's no real AP-style service for videogame news in the enthusiast press, Kotaku actually probably went about it the right by asking permission.

Londa

Banned
EviLore said:
Londa, you don't have rights to the NeoGAF name, its assets, or their derivations ;b
I didn't say I owned neogaf, but I do own the art. o_O. This tos wasn't up before I created the logo. Also I don't remember this site being called blackgaf.

Cyan

Banned
For writing GAF:

http://tinypaste.com/

Allows you to link to your work from here without any TOS fiddliness. Allows you to set an auto-prune, so it deletes itself from the internet after a certain period of time. And most importantly, allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published.

I will be using this from now on.

Hex

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
But seriously though, I don't think you can do this under everyone's noses without at least a prompt to accept the new ToS, not to mention retrograde application to all previously submitted content.

He can make a sticky on the top of OT and Gaming saying that this is the new TOS and you MUST READ THIS THREAD.
At the close of the post all he has to say is that by hitting the new thread or submit reply button you are agreeing to the TOS

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cyan said:
For writing GAF:

Allows you to link to your work from here without any TOS fiddliness. Allows you to set an auto-prune, so it deletes itself from the internet after a certain period of time. And most importantly, allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published.

Yep, sounds like a plan, regardless of what the ToS says, considering what people are describing about publishing requirements and the internet.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I was a bit of a snarky bitch in the other thread, so I just wanna clarify my thoughts:

I think the idea is fine.

I think how it was introduced was less than desirable. And I love GAF, and I love how Evilore has grown it over the years, but I think a simple acknowledgment that this wasn't handled so great would soothe a lot of this over.

Simply consulting and asking posters before syndicating their writing to other sites would make this all better in my book. I mean, if Kotaku wants to post anything from GAF in such a wholesales way, they HAVE to at least ask NeoGAF/Evilore - and it would not kill Evilore to PM the poster in question and simply ask.

I think if asked people would, 99% of the time, be totally fine with it and would feel respected. But if anything I wrote appeared anywhere else without my permission like that, I would feel rubbed the wrong way.

Fugu said:
- Why is attribution not mandatory?
Because that way, if IP is re-used without attribution, NeoGAF can't be sued. I imagine in practice, uses will be attributed if only to avoid backlash.

Fugu said:
- Why is the license transferable?
So NeoGAF can re-use IP through whatever legal framework they feel the need to establish. For example, perhaps EvilLore spins off the Off-Topic section into it's own company, he could transfer the IP to the new spin off that way.

Fugu said:
- Why does the wording not indicate a hard distinction between works posted on GAF and works not posted on GAF?
It does now. "such submissions" was changed to "the messages posted or private messages sent on NeoGAF.com"

Fugu said:
"Also be aware that these terms are subject to change at any time without notification."

Fugu said:
- Why is it applicable to posts made before the revised ToS?
Because tracking which IP is covered under which version of the TOS is unworkable given the amount of discreet works covered.

Fugu said:
- Why does it apply to PMs?
At the bare minimum, a forum needs certain rights to your IP (which includes PMs) to even display them to the intended recipient.

Fugu said:
Why are posts not merely licensed under a CC-BY-SA arrangement?
Because that would restrict NeoGAF in ways that EvilLore doesn't want it to be restricted. I can't remember where I read it, but sometime in the last couple of years, a part of the CBC decided to use CC works more but found that compliance with all the various requirements was too much of a hassle, especially in "commercial" use. They reverted back to paying for works licensed by Big Content.

Cyan said:
For writing GAF:

Wow, thanks for this link! I've never heard of this.

Londa

Banned
So let's say I posted a drawing before the TOS that had my signature on it. How is it now owned by gaf when I wasn't asked to release my copyright of it? Or does this only apply to literary works?

Londa said:
So let's say I posted a drawing before the TOS that had my signature on it. How is it now owned by gaf when I wasn't asked to release my copyright of it? Or does this only apply to literary works?
IT. IS. NOT. OWNED. BY. GAF.

You still have the copyright to it, GAF just has a license to re-use it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Londa said:
Uh, unless I'm misunderstanding you, personal artwork still retains original copyright. Gaf doesn't own it.

Londa

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:

Explain to me how a person posting a image they created before the new tos has given gaf a license to their art work at any given time without getting the owners consent?

Even on deviantart they do not allow this or use the works created there unless they ask the creator.

besada

Banned
Londa said:

It's probably not. You could likely successfully sue GAF if it used original artwork (as opposed to derivative artwork) that existed prior to the TOS modifications. Most courts aren't going to recognize a clause that modifies the contract retroactively without requiring a further assertion of acceptance.

Of course, once you found out about it, you continued posting on GAF, asserting your acceptance of the new clause in its adhesion contract. If you really want to make a case that you don't accept the terms, you'd need to stop posting immediately.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Londa said:
Explain to me how a person posting a image they created before the new tos has given gaf a license to their art work at any given time without getting the owners consent?

Even on deviantart they do not allow this or use the works created there unless they ask the creator.
If it's the logo or the name, I don't think you can manipulate it, as it's a trademark I believe.

Firestorm

Deviantart hosts you images. GAF does not. All I see here is GAF saying nobody is going to take responsibility if someone steals your image.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
besada said:
It's probably not. You could likely successfully sue GAF if it used original artwork (as opposed to derivative artwork) that existed prior to the TOS modifications. Most courts aren't going to recognize a clause that modifies the contract retroactively without requiring a further assertion of acceptance.

Of course, once you found out about it, you continued posting on GAF, asserting your acceptance of the new clause in its adhesion contract. If you really want to make a case that you don't accept the terms, you'd need to stop posting immediately.

Oh Besada.

Christine

charlequin said:
A co-owner would be able to restrict your ability to use or license the content without their consent, which NeoGAF will have no ability to do under these terms.

No direct ability, and no exclusionary ability. However, as a holder of a valid transferable license, it would be possible to interfere with the original owner's attempts to sell other licenses to third parties. I like to think that the NeoGAF wouldn't act in such terribly bad faith, but I can understand why some people might feel uncomfortable.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Because they knew people would flip out, despite nothing REALLY changing. Too bad they forgot about that one guy who runs a script that checks the ToS for changes every 5 seconds. There's guys doing even more insane things than that behind the scenes, too.

Oh, glorious internet.

Also, WHAT IS THE BLACK GAF LOGO THING?

FStop7

Banned
lawblob said:
Ehh, that's a fairly disingenuous oversimplification. Just because the practical reality is that stuff you post online might be poached, that doesn't mean the same thing as legally licensing anything you post to a 3rd party. When you grant an irrevocable, royalty-free, perpetual license... your contributions could certainly be monetized in a way that cuts you out of the deal.

But obviously, for reasons of poaching or express licenses in the new TOS, nobody should be uploading original anything to GAF that they reasonably think they could otherwise monetize.

And this is a good philosophy for anywhere on the Internet, not just GAF. When I upload photos I limit their sizes and I watermark them in the lower left or right corner. Anyone is free to copy and repost them in unmodified form. But if I find someone has reposted them and removed the watermark, which has happened, I send them a note asking them to put it back. If they don't, I send them a takedown. That's pretty much all I can do. I mitigate the potential damage by keeping resolution low.

noah111

Still Alive
Dude, posts on GAF have been getting reposted to a hundred different locations and other forums for years, who gives a shit. What are you going to post the formula to achieving zero-point energy or something?

Would you honestly ever say 'no i don't want that post of mine being linked somewhere for all to see'? Makes zero sense.

Londa

Banned
Meisadragon said:
If it's the logo or the name, I don't think you can manipulate it, as it's a trademark I believe.
Its not about the logo.

I'm talking about actual artwork, like in the arts and farts thread. I posted actual art here before. Now I have to find it and delete it if I haven't already done so.

Fugu

Squirrel Killer said:
Because that way, if IP is re-used without attribution, NeoGAF can't be sued. I imagine in practice, uses will be attributed if only to avoid backlash.
Why shouldn't NeoGAF be sued for licensing out content that they didn't create without attribution?

So NeoGAF can re-use IP through whatever legal framework they feel the need to establish. For example, perhaps EvilLore spins off the Off-Topic section into it's own company, he could transfer the IP to the new spin off that way.
I understand the effect of the provision. I don't understand how that is relevant to allowing content to be used on other websites.

"Also be aware that these terms are subject to change at any time without notification."
See above. It's also just poor PR, and I don't think that a provision like that would do well under scrutiny. "I can change the rules because I said I might change the rules"?

Because tracking which IP is covered under which version of the TOS is unworkable given the amount of discreet works covered.
While a grey area certainly exists, there are a large number of posts that are definitely backdated so far that they wouldn't be relevant to this issue.

At the bare minimum, a forum needs certain rights to your IP (which includes PMs) to even display them to the intended recipient.
Yeah, sure, but that doesn't include licensing and distribution rights.

Because that would restrict NeoGAF in ways that EvilLore doesn't want it to be restricted. I can't remember where I read it, but sometime in the last couple of years, a part of the CBC decided to use CC works more but found that compliance with all the various requirements was too much of a hassle, especially in "commercial" use. They reverted back to paying for works licensed by Big Content.
Sure it would. That's specifically why I like it, because it provides the posters with more leverage than they get right now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Squirrel Killer said:

I don't think it even has that, not in a totally free way anyway.

I think everytime you post there's an implicit giving of permission to reproduce that content here in the context it was posted in. But passing that content to third parties - commercially or otherwise - I think is a different matter. The relationship between the user and Neogaf isn't a relationship between the user and Kotaku or other sites.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how it would stand up if it was ever tested, for content posted before the ToS change. I kind of doubt it would after either, depending.

Anyway, I think and hope we're talking hypothetically. Whatever about the misjudgment here on the part of NeoGaf though, I'm really amazed Kotaku would run with this. They should have questioned whether permission was given by the poster, and whether there was a right to syndicate content (which IMO I don't think there was). It seems like it never entered anyone's head? I was pretty neutral on Kotaku before, at worst, but I'm not sure I'll be giving Kotaku 'business' again here (i.e. posting about and linking to any stories from there).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CoffeeJanitor said:
So we're only going to have the reply button on the bottom of the page then? Because I often post my thoughts after reading halfway down a page and the sidebar reply is pretty convenient.
The only time I use the sidebar like that I will just hit quote anyways and then delete the contents of the quote. There's no logical reason to do it with the system as-is, but I just got into the habit a long time ago.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Squirrel Killer said:

It does now. "such submissions" was changed to "the messages posted or private messages sent on NeoGAF.com"

That's all good.

I'd only add that one of the reasons that a clause like this crops all the time in TOSs is because of the rather crude way the law deals (or seems to deal) with the internet. Essentially, each act of transmission of something on the internet can be (and often/sometimes is) seen as an act of publication. So, as you read this post, it has been published to you by (a) NeoGAF (b) an ISP (c) possibly the home network of the guy next door if you are freeloading. And probably a whole bunch of other people.

If such republication were not permitted, then the internet would not work. Or at least the whole internet would be illegal. So that's why so many TOSs have a clause like this. And if NeoGAF was not allowed to licence publication rights, then nobody could legally read any of your posts.

I'm not saying that's 'good' law - it's a very crude way of looking at things - and it carries the problem that there's no real legal distinction between acts of transmission and acts of republication (as on e.g. Kotaku).

But that's pretty well the way it is - hence the continual fuss over whether ISPs have any liability for 'publishing' child porn for example.

It is all in a bit of a legal turmoil at the moment and will probably take years to sort out properly. Meanwhile, since lawyers have to be cautious beasts to protect their clients, this sort of term creeps into what would otherwise be perfectly straightforward TOSs. That's not anybody's fault, it is just the way it all worked out so far.

FStop7

Banned
Heavy said:
EL:
1. How many PMs do you have in your inbox?
2. How much do you bench, 1-rep max?
3. Weight & height?
4. Your GOTY so far?
5. Pets?

1. Circumcised?
2. Do you tip, if so what %?
3. Who makes the best pizza?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gah, I told dreweyes I'd get the next wave of neogaf shirts up today, because spreadshirt's running a halloween free shipping promotion. Today's a bit overloaded ;b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom