• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
EviLore said:
-Full search functionality (w/ post history etc.) back
-Multi-quote button for easily quoting multiple posts.
-Automatic link back to original post when quoting someone
-Automatic resizing of quoted images for when nubs don't remove the img tags

UI-wise, all looks identical except for removing the redundant "reply" link on the left of each post and replacing it with a multiquote button. And I'll probably remove the google custom search thing since it's awful.
Excellent. How exactly will the multi quote button work, though? Will it show up in the 'topic review' when posting, or what? Great news on the quote link though, always wondered why we never had that.

Oh, and post history at last, always had faith it would return. :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
charlequin said:
A co-owner would be able to restrict your ability to use or license the content without their consent, which NeoGAF will have no ability to do under these terms.

That's about the only thing Neogaf can't do.

Cyan

Banned
besada said:
It's always made me a little nervous, because I try to actively sell every piece I write. I see guys in there posting stuff they intend to sell and wonder if anyone runs up against the issue, but so far as I know, no one has. Probably overcautious on my part, but I grew up in a time when they considered any publication (electronic or otherwise) a barrier to selling FNASR. It took them a few years to get it sorted out and to separate electronic from print rights in editor's heads.
With the pieces I sold to DSF (none of which were posted on NeoGAF), I was explicitly asked whether they'd been posted anywhere online. It probably varies.

I've occasionally deleted a piece from NeoGAF with the intent of trying to sell it, but have never yet actually done so.

So... I dunno. Certainly if you intend to sell everything you write, your approach is probably the correct one. It's unfortunate, because I'd love to see more of your writing, but I completely understand.

Shanadeus

Banned
Corto said:
Here. I've just now quoted your entire post. What are you going to do?

I can even post it without its quote tags

I will be deleting any traces of my black gaf logo. Forget that. Just cause I'm on a forum and posting doesn't mean I agree with gaf using whatever I post. I never said ok to that when I signed up to this site.

It's mine now.
Same for you.

besada

Banned
M.D said:
I don't think I actually what this means.. I'm kinda dumb :(
It means anything you post on GAF may be reproduced by GAF (for free or for remuneration), without asking you or paying you for it.

Cyan said:
So... I dunno. Certainly if you intend to sell everything you write, your approach is probably the correct one. It's unfortunate, because I'd love to see more of your writing, but I completely understand.

Well, there should be an opportunity for that soon:) I've got a bunch of pieces that haven't sold, and I'm working them up into a collection which I'll be putting up on the Kindle Store for a low price.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah...

14. Retain and distribute content without any time limit.

If you've noticed, we've tried to retain posts from the very beginning and you can still go back and read threads from 2004. Ideally, this will remain the case as long as NeoGAF exists.

Dyno

I don't mind because I leave no wheat in this place, only chaff.

CHAFF GAF! That's all you get! Husky leavings!

shuri

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Evilores been trying to get his hands on Phonecall Liberace (tm Ninja Scooter enterprises) for years now. Guess he finally found a way.
It's been more than half a decade since the return of Phonecall Liberace. I demand his glorious return to our hd screens!!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm glad I was able to suffer through reading the carnival of stupid in here to see that search and other features are coming back!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dyno said:
I don't mind because I leave no wheat in this place, only chaff.

CHAFF GAF! That's all you get! Husky leavings!
The joke's on you! We're now going to become rich selling cellulosic ethanol!

Dennis

Banned
Hitokage said:
Oh yeah...

14. Retain and distribute content without any time limit.

If you've noticed, we've tried to retain posts from the very beginning and you can still go back and read threads from 2004. Ideally, this will remain the case as long as NeoGAF exists.
Out of curiosity, how much data is the entire post history of GAF?

noah111

Still Alive
Hitokage said:
Seriously, many users here are around a decade old gaffers, will GAF really make it another decade? :( Makes you wonder, just how old is Evilore anyway?

noah111

Still Alive
SouthernDragon said:
You don't even have an avatar, what are you hmmming about?

PS. Evilore, would it ever be possible to have quote chains? For example I just quoted SouthernDragon, but what he quoted does not show up in my post where I quoted him..

Couldn't a 'hide/show' quote chain of two or three levels be integrated?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wait a second. Wait a second.

If GAF owns what we post then my incomplete Final Fantasy V/GG Allin crossover fanfiction magnum opus isn't mine.

Ha ha ha, sweet merciful release! That's your old shame now, GAF. Have fun living it down!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hitokage said:
The database is over 10gb compressed, last I heard. Compressed how much you ask? Dunno!

I think that was the preliminary figure, with 22GB compressed being the actual amount. CBA to confirm ;b

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sentry said:
You don't even have an avatar, what are you hmmming about?

PS. Evilore, would it ever be possible to have quote chains? For example I just quoted SouthernDragon, but what he quoted does not show up in my post where I quoted him..

Couldn't a 'hide/show' quote chain of two or three levels be integrated?

Dear god, no. NO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
blame space said:
#iamthe99MB
Should've copywrited that great joke. Gave me a laugh but now I'm going to exploit your creations to the masses. Sending e-mail to N4G as we speak.

Meier

I figure if your thread gets selected for a NeoGAF Asks column, Evil should throw a t-shirt your way. I'm sure he's getting more than $20 out of the column.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
EviLore said:
Not that it matters to anyone legally. I get C&Ds all the time for links.
Are you willing or at liberty to share any examples, even if they're really vague? I'm curious whose feathers might have been ruffled by Gaf.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Meier said:
I figure if your thread gets selected for a NeoGAF Asks column, Evil should throw a t-shirt your way. I'm sure he's getting more than $20 out of the column.

?? Kotaku's not sending me any money.

EviLore said:
-Full search functionality (w/ post history etc.) back
-Multi-quote button for easily quoting multiple posts.
-Automatic link back to original post when quoting someone
-Automatic resizing of quoted images for when nubs don't remove the img tags

UI-wise, all looks identical except for removing the redundant "reply" link on the left of each post and replacing it with a multiquote button. And I'll probably remove the google custom search thing since it's awful.
So we're only going to have the reply button on the bottom of the page then? Because I often post my thoughts after reading halfway down a page and the sidebar reply is pretty convenient.

Cool, post history is back. I look forward to many a forum shenanigan because of this. Regarding new TOS, let it be known that I'm cool with it.

Meier

EviLore said:
?? Kotaku's not sending me any money.
Oh okay, I figured they had to pay you some sort of licensing fee to re-post the content. What is the benefit to NeoGAF then if you're not getting paid? Just added exposure to the site?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Meier said:
Oh okay, I figured they had to pay you some sort of licensing fee to re-post the content. What is the benefit to NeoGAF then if you're not getting paid? Just added exposure to the site?
We get to add another inch to the size of our pedestal.

noah111

Still Alive
CoffeeJanitor said:
So we're only going to have the reply button on the bottom of the page then? Because I often post my thoughts after reading halfway down a page and the sidebar reply is pretty inconvenient.
TBH, I NEVER used the reply button on the side pane, in fact I don't even use the quote button that often, sometimes I just type the quote tag/name myself and 'multi-quote' that way.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Heavy said:
EL:
1. How many PMs do you have in your inbox?
2. How much do you bench, 1-rep max?
3. Weight & height?
4. Your GOTY so far?
5. Pets?
What was your mother's maiden name?
What was the name of city you were born?
What was your high school mascot?
What was the color of your first car?

noah111

Still Alive
RubxQub said:
What was your mother's maiden name?
What was the name of city you were born?
What was your high school mascot?
What was the color of your first car?
:lol
lol.gif
all you need now is his personal email.

Meier

Ninja Scooter said:
Evilores been trying to get his hands on Phonecall Liberace (tm Ninja Scooter enterprises) for years now. Guess he finally found a way.
I have been trying to remember your user name before you changed it to Ninja Scooter forever. What was it?! Was it Phonecall Liberace? It bugs me every time.....

wow, i remember the opa-exodus of somewhere long time ago, and i think they kinda ranted about that shit on the other forums, but i'm not sure as to wether this happened or if i'm just talking too much.

besada

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Should've copywrited that great joke. Gave me a laugh but now I'm going to exploit your creations to the masses. Sending e-mail to N4G as we speak.

You can't legally though. GAF has been given a non-exclusive license to what's posted, but individual users of GAF haven't.

(And yes, I know you were joking.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom