• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the only time this will ever be put into effect is when we get a hot gaming scoop, right? Or I mean, could someone with a bit more knowledge give me a few real world scenarios where this changes anything about day to day GAF?

Venfayth

Based on the lack of statement by Evilore on this or the kotaku thing I'm expecting a formal announcement/clarification soon.

zomgbbqftw said:
Basically anything you post on GAF (an idea, strategy, picture, story, anything) can be used by the owners without notice or payment for the profit of the forum owners.

you mean my line art of a cat could be sold by Evilore? Omg :(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not that I'm a particularly creative poster, but that pretty much ends any desire from me to ever create another "[old game] appreciation thread" or even contribute with a quick photoshop.

Fuck that noise.

If people bitch enough I'm sure we'll get an explanation. Would be nice to have one in front of these kind of changes though.

edit: Shit, does that mean he owns my 'Sully on a box of Fruitloops' pic?
Also, don't we have to re-agree with these changes?

cbox

Welp that sucks. I don't like adding watermarks to my photos.

I also don't understand anything in that sentence so I'm just gonna be naive and continue posting photos :)

rozay

Banned
Littleberu said:
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/4135965/2/stock-photo-4135965-traditional-english-pub.jpg
more like
WfqqG.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ferrio said:
Oh EviLore, I know you're against this type of shit. What's the deal?

I am against it, which is why it wasn't there before and I acted informally about it. But people are making a big fuss, so it's added to protect the site and clarify our position if it comes up in the future.

To clarify, it's a non-exclusive license, not a transfer of ownership or losing your own rights to what you post. So if you feel I'm a completely evil asshole who will use your posts for nefarious means, by all means go ahead and delete your posts and stop using your account and all. But nothing has really changed, because what is described in the ToS is how we've always operated in effect up to this point anyway.

Mik2121

Yeah, this makes me wonder what do the people that post on the poetry and just writing threads, the photography and the art and farts threads think about this.

I personally am not really sure about what does this rule involve anymore, so from now on I will just simply not post my stuff here (on the arts & farts thread anyway), or post stuff with watermarks.

Edit: Reading that Evilore post above me kinda makes me feel a bit more secure about this whole deal. I guess it's ok, it's just so strange seeing such a rule showing up all of a sudden. But I guess it's not that big of a deal, hopefully.

EviLore said:
I am against it, which is why it wasn't there before and I acted informally about it. But people are making a big fuss, so it's added to protect the site and clarify our position if it comes up in the future.

To clarify, it's a non-exclusive license, not a transfer of ownership or losing your own rights to what you post. So if you feel I'm a completely evil asshole who will use your posts for nefarious means, by all means go ahead and delete your posts and stop using your account and all. But nothing has really changed, because what is described in the ToS is how we've always operated in effect up to this point anyway.
Honest question, would anyone here have to re-agree with the new TOS? I don't have an issue with this I'm just asking.

I'm not sure GAF admins have thought this through very well. By taking ownership of all the posts moderation will have to be very strict or court cases can be brought by game developers against GAF for defamation of character or posts made in that manner by members.

EviLore said:
The hell are you talking about?
But seriously though, I don't think you can do this under everyone's noses without at least a prompt to accept the new ToS, not to mention retrograde application to all previously submitted content.

Teh Hamburglar said:
you mean my line art of a cat could be sold by Evilore? Omg :(

That and any information that any member decides to share. And it's not only Neogaf but affiliate companies as well. It's a really uncomfortable thought.

EviLore said:

Can we actually delete our own posts?

Walshicus

Funky Papa said:
Not that I'm a particularly creative poster, but that pretty much ends any desire from me to ever create another "[old game] appreciation thread" or even contribute with a quick photoshop.

Fuck that noise.
Why bother doing anything of worth here if it has a chance to benefit Kotaku?

iavi

Yeah, this is a pretty big blow to the creative threads--writer/photography/etc... It's all done up here for free anyway, but the idea of GAF allowing itself, and partners, a royalty-free freedom with it is not cool at all.

Tucah

you speak so well
Fucking awful, I loved browsing the art threads here and I assume most of that will stop now.

Toby

This can't apply to already created accounts, right?
It says when registering an account with neogaf and participating. The wording makes me think it only applies to accounts created going forward, as this clause wasn't present when I registered.

andycapps

EviLore said:

Doesn't it really just mean that if you broadcast it here, then you're giving Neogaf the right to broadcast it since you're hitting the submit button?

Seems similar to the Google+ non-snafoo from a while back, which was really just standard TOS for any site that allows pictures or text to be posted.

Jobiensis

Lulz, like any of the posts or photos here are actually worth anything.

They are claiming rights to use your copyrighted works, they aren't claiming copyright on what you post.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So it was added after a deal with the devil Kotaku?

EDIT: What legal standing does this really have? How well do TOS's stand up in court. For example, Sony added that thing that you can't sue them if you accept the TOS but aren't there loopholes?

kehs

Banned
This shit happens with every single TOS on every site that deals with images.

You are not giving up the rights to your works, you are giving a non exclusive license that allows the site to manipulate your images, because...that's how technology works.

I would imagine this applying to 'shops made with the GAF logo, GAF-specific memes, etc., and probably mostly to cover the GAF clothing line. I doubt Evilore wants to confiscate people's Deviantart, just doesn't want to see "Believe" shirts at CafePress. Or, also, get in a legal fight about the GAF wear.

EviLore said:

I'm not sure I understand this so please simplify it for. Here's an example. You post a photograph (sharing the Share link code) from Flickr here on GAF and so "licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users" of Neogaf LLC can use/distribute that image for any purpose including commercial purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom