• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

ArjanN said:
It's just a way to cover their ass legally, in the same way that if you sell a hammer nowadays you have to include instructions that say not the smash yourself in the face with it or someone might sue you.

And nothing you posted on neogaf has any real value anyway. Well, not until I publish that "My body is ready" photoshops coffeetable book anyway.
Indeed, more exposure for your post. What's the big deal? If you get credit and a link, what else do you want?

Zaptruder

Banned
Look EviLore.

If you wanted to steal my ideas, you should've just PMed me. I would've given them away for free. I've got plenty.

Like the cow-pig-dog-turducken thanksgiving special of Epic Meal Time collaboration with Neogaf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HammerOfThor said:
For people like me who are dumb to this kind of thing, can someone explain?
Apparently, you are currently deceased, but unaware of it.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
syllogism said:
Here's youtube's relevant TOS clause, for comparison
Hell, if that first line was put into our ToS I think everyone would chill out.

...I really don't think this is a big deal, folks.

MrHicks

Banned
syllogism said:

the difference is YOUTUBE PAYS its content creators

content creators over here actually pay the board lol (traffic ads views yadda yadda)

gdt

I think this is more about protecting GAF from other parties than Evilore stealing from gaf members.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I need to point out something:

NeoGAF does not host or serve images embedded in posts. Those are linked to an outside provider. All NeoGAF has is the URL.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Souldriver said:
Did I miss something? Is Neogaf now owned by Kotaku? 0_o
NeoGAF is owned by Kotaku which is owned by Gawker Media which is a subsidiary of Edge Games which is partly owned by Nintendo.

It all makes sense....

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
RubxQub said:
Hell, if that first line was put into our ToS I think everyone would chill out.

...I really don't think this is a big deal, folks.
Except that now NeoGAF posts are being republished over Kotaku.

Are the creators of said threads being asked for permission?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Copernicus said:
This is not transferring of rights.

This is licensing so that the site can legally move the content around and redistribute it other people

^

It's a non-exclusive license. You still retain ownership/rights to your work. This is a "cover our asses" clause and a "when some site asks me politely if they can highlight some NeoGAF post they think is cool there isn't some huge controversy, even though they could just NOT ask me and republish anyway without anyone giving a damn, like Destructoid just did a few days ago and other sites have done hundreds of times."

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The main thing that bothers me about this is that it comes after an agreement with Kotaku which supports something I don't like (copying and pasting a thread and calling that a story). Certainly doesn't help that it happens to be Kotaku, a website with a horrible reputation around here.

EviLore said:
^

It's a non-exclusive license. You still retain ownership/rights to your work. This is a "cover our asses" clause and a "when some site asks me politely if they can highlight some NeoGAF post they think is cool there isn't some huge controversy, even though they could just NOT ask me and republish anyway without anyone giving a damn, like Destructoid just did a few days ago and other sites have done hundreds of times."
Forgot about the Destructoid thing. That makes more sense.

Gomu Gomu

syllogism said:
Same thing goes for a lot of other popular sites. Honestly, I think people are overreacting & blowing this out of proportion. As someone said earlier, if your work is meant to be protected, EvilLore is the least of your worries.

RubxQub said:
Guess what everyone who's ever posted in this thread?!

All your wives are belong to NeoGAF. Handle it.
Whatboyswant: Neogaf Spouse edition

HAHA that is what you plebs get for putting effort into your post, I've been wise for years! I caught kotaku and a few other forums stealing the literary gold I compose and decided than and there to not spend more than a single minute composing a post. Come children follow me and be well learned; suckle from my teet of knowledge.

Jobiensis said:
If you wanted royalties on such stuff, you shouldn't be posting it on public boards.

Exactly, lots of chicken little in this thread.
Well the TOS was changed without notice and most people have no idea what that new sentence means. I sure did't know. Go figure people freak out.

Timber

yeah i'm sure it's entirely coincidental that this happens mere days after i propose the idea for my george remus biopic to neogaf. so low.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
LiK said:
Indeed, more exposure for your post. What's the big deal? If you get credit and a link, what else do you want?
Yep people are overreacting here. The author is getting a lot of credit, and already a lot of sites use our posts and sometimes don't give credit for it. Gofreak will know what I'm talking about.

ScOULaris

Hitokage said:

NeoGAF does not host or serve images embedded in posts. Those are linked to an outside provider. All NeoGAF has is the URL.
You just owned half of the people in this thread. You probably also eased their worries a bit too, though. Thanks for chiming in.

(._.)

Banned
dave is ok said:
NeoGAF is owned by Kotaku which is owned by Gawker Media which is a subsidiary of Edge Games which is partly owned by Nintendo.

It all makes sense....
they are all ran by the illuminati too don't kid yourself

kehs

Banned
Hitokage said:

So you don't even bother hosting all the content you're stealing!

(disclaimer: this post is a joke, by reading this disclaimer you're forfeiting any and all rights to rage, be upset, and/or whine, you are still free to cry moar)

MTMBStudios said:
It means that Kotaku is going to now profit directly off of posts on NeoGAF without writing it in their own words.

FFS... Are you kidding me?

You are probably the worst kind of sensationalist.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I just realized that EviLore's avatar is HUGE! That's like one of the coolest perks to running this site ever. Super jealous...

wsippel

Banned
I would be fine with these terms if it was a simple CC BY-SA: Do what you want with the stuff we post for free, but always credit the original authors and keep the stuff and any derivative work free.

Shanadeus

Banned
commish said:
Okay, a couple of ones:

What happens if we don't agree to the TOS?
Do we have that choice?
Can we agree to the new TOS when it comes to new posts/threads, but demand that old posts/threads fall under the old TOS?
Can we agree to the new TOS when it comes to new posts/threads, but demand that old posts/threads are to be deleted if they won't follow the old TOS?

Corto

gdt5016 said:
I think this is more about protecting GAF from other parties than Evilore stealing from gaf members.

What could he be stealing though? In the moment you choose to write on a public forum on the internet is free-for-everyone content anyway. It's better that this forum has some return in the form of increased hits/ads than other people using the content without attribution of any sort and profiting by that.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The best part about this thread is that I can no longer tell the difference between people sarcastically feigning outrage and people actually outraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom