• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW OT RULE: NO MORE WWII REFERENCES IN IRAQ/AFGHANI/ISRAEL/WAR ON TERROR THREADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I'm kind of sick of people going, "IF WAR IS NEVER JUSTIFIED THEN EXPLAIN THE NAZIS THEY ARE PURE EVIL I PLAYED RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN I KNOW!"

I move to veto any reference of Nazi atrocities and as so, justification of war during World War II. That was like, 1942. Welcome to 2004. Completely different fuckin' world.

All those people didn't die so that you can ride a red, white and blue horse to war anytime you feel it's right, even if you are wrong.

Matt

I don’t know what’s funnier, the idea that you can outlaw an argument from an internet forum, or the notion that the world of now is completely different from the world of 1942 (or that WWII was in “like, 1942")...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Willco said:
I'm kind of sick of people going, "IF WAR IS NEVER JUSTIFIED THEN EXPLAIN THE NAZIS THEY ARE PURE EVIL I PLAYED RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN I KNOW!"

I move to veto any reference of Nazi atrocities and as so, justification of war during World War II. That was like, 1942. Welcome to 2004. Completely different fuckin' world.

All those people didn't die so that you can ride a red, white and blue horse to war anytime you feel it's right, even if you are wrong.
I agree with Fedderman, WTF.

not that I care if it is a rule, in fact I prefer it not be a rule, but I still agree.

WWII ≠ Iraq

fart

Savant
OH SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN

GWWAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR
wolfbossclip.jpg

Kuramu

yes, let's ignore a whole chapter in world history, because there are surely no lessons to be learned there.

bionic77

Society said:
I thought that what this thread was about?

You are not telling me people were/are comparing arabs to nazis, right?

I believe Ripclawe and some others did just that in the thread about the execution of the American contractor.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Kuramu said:
yes, let's ignore a whole chapter in world history, because there are surely no lessons to be learned there.

I'm not saying ignore it. By all means, if you feel you have not learned enough about World War II and that time period in history, please go to your local library. Referencing World War II as a means to go to war currently is now banned until further notice!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hamfam said:
Wilco's new policy is worse than the nazi oppression of jews.

Yes, I must've missed that part where I put the Off-Topic Forum into labor camps and systematically murdered people. I truly am the Nu-Hitler.

Willco

Hollywood Square
White Man said:
What about WWI references? The WTC could be our Archduke Ferdinand.

If you somehow manage to connect modern day events to World War I, not only will it be allowed, it will be applauded!

bionic77

WHY, OF COURSE, the people don’t want to go towar. But, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

Hermann Goering, the Nazi air marshal, during his interrogation at the Nuremberg war crimes trials.

Hey Wilco, just to clarify, can I still use this quote to shut crazy NeoCons the fuck up whenever they want to declare people who oppose Bush's policies as pacifistic cowards who are giving in to the terrorists? It is really a wonderful quote and it is pretty relevant in any time, because I don't want to get banned if I use it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
bionic77 said:
WHY, OF COURSE, the people don’t want to go towar. But, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

Hermann Goering, the Nazi air marshal, during his interrogation at the Nuremberg war crimes trials.

Hey Wilco, just to clarify, can I still use this quote to shut crazy NeoCons the fuck up whenever they want to declare people who oppose Bush's policies as pacifistic cowards who are giving in to the terrorists? It is really a wonderful quote and it is pretty relevant in any time, because I don't want to get banned if I use it.

Yes, that quote is allowed under the The Anti-Dummies Act of 2004.

Hamfam

Awesome. We can compare Hitler to Bush, but not Saddam. :D We need more acts like this passed. Make debating alot easier.

New policy:

Liberating the Iraqi people can no longer be used to support Iraq War!

Willco

Hollywood Square
White Man said:
Alright, I understand that WWII references are banned, but surely you're not also banning Hogan's Heroes references?

Hogan's Heroes are not just allowed, but encouraged. And you will receive a tax credit!

fart

Savant
is there going to be a blanket exemption for tv shows? what about movie adaptations? i vote special exemption for the tom arnold version of mchale's navy

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
bionic77 said:
It is really a wonderful quote and it is pretty relevant in any time, because I don't want to get banned if I use it.
lol Wilco isn't a mod. Unless...

I don't have problem with analytical, logical, or even ironic parralels drawn between other conflicts personally.

Its shit like this that bothers me.

"And what happens if we didn't go into Iraq and stop Saddam. REMEMBER THAT GUY HITLER?!?!?"
as if Saddam where perched on the very edge of world domination.

The Iraqi army was not the Wermacht. Saddam invaded one country ten years ago, Hitler invaded several entire nations. Saddam would have had to have murdered 1/5 to 1/4 of the entire population of Iraq just to = the number of Jews Hitler killed in the Holocaust.

Willco

Hollywood Square
scola said:
"And what happens if we didn't go into Iraq and stop Saddam. REMEMBER THAT GUY HITLER?!?!?"

These are the kind of STUPID STATEMENTS made by STUPID PEOPLE that are STUPID. The next worst statement would be something like:

"IF WE DON'T GO TO WAR IT'D BE LIKE WORLD WAR II ALL OVER AGAIN THINK OF THE JEWS HASN'T MEL GIBSON PUT THEM THROUGH ENOUGH!?"

gblues

Banned
Wow, the only way they could make that sign more tasteless would be to put a sillouette of the WTC behind GWB's face.

Nathan

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wait a minute; let me get this straight, opposing thought is now not allowed on a damn Internet forum?

If you're going to throw down the gauntlet don't stop at the WWII-Iraq comparison.

Why not ban anybody on the forum who happens to think peanut butter doesn't go well with jelly?

Or the crazy’s who insist on comparing Iraq to Vietnam?

This is ludicrous.

Ryck

"Why not ban anybody on the forum who happens to think peanut butter doesn't go well with jelly?"

yeah peanut butter is good ........

White Man

Everyone knows the whole Iraq/Afghanistan/War on Terror thing most resembles the pandemic Chupacabra infestations in Mexico and the US Southwest.

I agree with the topic. The world left Hitler unchecked for far longer than Saddam, which allowed him to build a bigger army, radicalize the population to a greater extent, invade more countries, and inflict more casualties when people finally realized that Hitler wasn't a benevolent, peace-loving teddy bear and went after him.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
LOL do our responses here really dcitate the ads that appear at the bottom? because if they do then "Waffles" just got bumped for the war book club because of this thread.

Quick everyone post waffles.

edit: oh its gone now :(

Kuramu

person A says: Violence is never just
person B says: Then killing Nazis wasn't just?
person A says: Hmmm, well, it's still wrong to kill, but you may have a point; they had to be stopped

this paraphrasing is of something in another thread, which i'm assuming was the straw for Willco. WWII references can be quite useful when getting to the meat of an argument (like the above example imo), and banning such tools because people go overboard with generalizations sometimes is a bad idea

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kuramu said:
person A says: Violence is never just
person B says: Then killing Nazis wasn't just?
person A says: Hmmm, well, it's still wrong to kill, but you may have a point; they had to be stopped

this paraphrasing is of something in another thread, which i'm assuming was the straw for Willco. WWII references can be quite useful when getting to the meat of an argument (like the above example imo), and banning such tools because people go overboard with generalizations sometimes is a bad idea

More like WWII references are good for internet geeks to show off their inane history trivia. why is it that geeks love wwii so much?

Kuramu

fart said:
to: kuramu

never paraphrase again.

thanks.

ok fart, i was just being lazy.

the bottom line is (should be) that violence is never, ever justified,

So the violence to destroy the Nazis wasn't justified?

... so yah, as a blanket statement i would say that killing people was generally not just even in ww2, but you have a point, if no one had stopped the reich from its campaign of mass murder, that would have been bad as well. again, this is a complex situation. a little easier to think about in retrospect, but still more complex than nazis bad allies good, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom