• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pepsi with no artificial sweeteners, less sugar, no HFCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

I barely drink soft drinks, but if I do, I usually have a Coke Zero. Is Pepsi Throwback a regular thing? I see it sometimes in supermarkets and got it once and it was great. Nice to have real sugar rather than HFCS. Again, I don't drink it nearly enough to worry, but you do hear things every so often about aspartame that are turning me off Coke Zero.

Yes it's a regular thing, been around for a while now. Some regions sometimes don't have it widely available though. Here in Phoenix most places have both Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback.

Magni

Don't like Coke Life, hopefully this is better.

I miss Pepsi Raw. That shit was the best.

DSC02512.JPG

So do I :( Only ever had it when I was studying abroad in Norway three years ago, where else was it sold?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Coke invented a soda for people who don't want to drink soda?

Sounds like a winning business plan to me.

My brother and I were talking about this the other day. He was saying that most people just use a couple of sugars in a coffee or tea, and why couldn't they make cola just with less sugar? Forget artificial sweeteners, just normal sugar, but less of it.

hvPnFgT.jpg

So like that, but take out some cubes.

I can enjoy a club soda or a Perrier, there's something to be said for carbonated beverages, so why not just make a pop with less?

Yeah I also don't get why those drinks have to have so much fucking sugar in them.

I love Perrier and that has zero sugar.

Stevia comes in multiple forms too. You can get whole leaf Stevia extract, stevioside, reb A and reb C as the main ones. Reb A does really well cut with sugar which is probably why they're doing this half-sugar, half-Stevia mix.

Meier

I really liked their Pepsi Natural line they had out for a little while:

3312852678_497a264c54.jpg

It was so good! I don't usually drink Pepsi but I did get a 12-pack of the real sugar Pepsi that has been released this summer. It proved pretty difficult to find in smaller amounts (a 20 oz, 2 liter, etc.).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What would a Pepsi or Coke with little to no sugar taste like? (not LIKE SHIT XXXDDD like an actual flavour)

I keep thinking that Brio stuff but I know it wouldn't taste like that.

KingSlime

Yeah I also don't get why those drinks have to have so much fucking sugar in them.

What I read once was that over the years, Coke and Pepsi continued adding more and more sugar to their drinks because tastes adapted to the sweetness level (a dulling of the sensation). To counter that, they would add more sugar so their drinks once again tasted sweet to consumers, and on and on. Don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly makes sense. If we stripped back to like 3 sugar cubes per can (which SHOULD be enough considering if I put any more than a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee, I find it sweet as all hell), people would generally find it tasteless.

Looks like these are being sold in 7.5 oz cans. So if my math is correct then a 12oz can of this stuff would have 26 grams of sugar, and to put that in to perspective most 12oz sodas have about 40 grams.

The real question is how does it taste?

I will try both versions.

just keep that aspartame bullshit away from me.

and those of you that say "not good enough" its a step in the right direction, and it sounds like it will contain a negligible amount of sugar

ILoveBish

Right, but the problem is, not everybody will stop drinking soda; I'm not going to. It's easy to just say it's bad for you like that should end the conversation, but its not that simple. So a solution is to try and make soda more healthy for those that don't want to stop.

Why won't you stop drinking soda? Are you literally an addict or something? I'm honestly curious.

rjinaz

Why won't you stop drinking soda? Are you literally an addict or something? I'm honestly curious.

I like it. I'm not addicted, but there is nothing I enjoy drinking like I do soda. I don't like drinking water, though obviously I do. And I find drinks like tea not appealing. It's like asking why people eat pizza and burgers and fried chicken. Because it's good.

No? Well maybe some do. I accept that soda is bad, but if I'm going to drink it (and I am), I'll drink a soda with 30 percent less sugar and no artificial crap.

30% less sugar is still a shitton of sugar that's really bad for you. You can argue whether or not aspartame is worse than all the unnecessary sugar, but why act like this is in any way a healthier choice and have so many people act superior about it?

The Lamp

No? Well maybe some do. I accept that soda is bad, but if I'm going to drink it (and I am), I'll drink a soda with 30 percent less sugar and no artificial crap.

What makes the sugar you're talking about better than artificial ingredients?

So aspartame is bad, but a soda that still has absurd amounts of sugar is okay? Do people really think like this?

Yes, consumer perception in this industry right now is "natural is better, real sugar is better".

Drink water or juice instead.

You know, drinks that taste good.

Juice usually has a shit ton of sugar.

ILoveBish

I like it. I'm not addicted, but there is nothing I enjoy drinking like I do soda. I don't like drinking water, though obviously I do. And I find drinks like tea not appealing. It's like asking why people eat pizza and burgers and fried chicken. Because it's good.

I see. I just got used to water and Stevia sweetened coffee and tea. No way I'd go back now. Especially knowing how horrific sugar (and carbs in general) are for you. To each their own however.

rjinaz

30% less sugar is still a shitton of sugar that's really bad for you. You can argue whether or not aspartame is worse than all the unnecessary sugar, but why act like this is in any way a healthier choice and have so many people act superior about it?

What makes the sugar you're talking about better than artificial ingredients?

Yes, consumer perception in this industry right now is "natural is better, real sugar is better".

Well aspartame and other artificial ingredients gives me headaches and goes through me like nothing else, literally I'll have to pee every 30 mins. I try and avoid it. Regular soda does not have that effect on me.

I never said people that drink artificially sweetened sodas are inferior. Drink what you want. It's just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom