• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS2 to be a hit this holiday? Consumers Name Top Holiday Gift Picks

OK, I know this means diddly squat. However, I am amazed that your average consumer on the street would even be knowledgeable about the new PS2, much less vote that of electronics "toy" purchases, that half would choose the PS2. Where's the GBA or the DS? Seems a bit strange. But the takeaway, is that the new PS2 is known and has some buzz among mainstream consumers

November 09, 2004 10:30 AM US Eastern Timezone

Consumers Name Top Holiday Gift Picks with Latest ``Shopping in America'' Survey; Shoppers Positive About Economy, Plan to Spend Average of $608 on Gifts

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 9, 2004--Stockings will be well-stuffed with everything from boots and brooches to electronic games and traditional teddy bears as shoppers plan to spend 4 percent more than last year on holiday gifts. Consumer's top gift picks were released today with the results of the latest Shopping in America survey conducted for The Macerich Company (NYSE:MAC) by August Partners. The survey also showed shopper spending intentions and a positive outlook on the American economy.

Clothing is the most popular holiday gift category (selected by 22 percent) according to the majority of the 6,200 shoppers surveyed, followed by toys, electronics, books/CDs and mall gift cards/certificates. Jewelry, fashion accessories, home furnishings and appliances were less popular, each selected by less than 10 percent of shoppers.

The downsized Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2), LeapFrog educational games and interactive Barbie (e.g. Barbie The Princess and the Pauper Interactive Serafina cat) top the list for shoppers who have decided on electronic toys.

Code:
Top Electronic Gifts
--------------------
Downsized PlayStation 2                               47%
------------------------------ --------------------------
LeapFrog Educational Games                            19%
Interactive Barbie (items)                            14%
Tamagochi                                              8%
Blinkie Electronic Pets                                5%

Link316

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Where's the GBA or the DS? Seems a bit strange. But the takeaway, is that the new PS2 is known and has some buzz among mainstream consumers

maybe they're justing waiting for the PSP ;)

evil ways

I wouldn't be surprised. When I went to pick up SD vs Raw, Gamestop apparently also got a second shipment of the PSTwo and a few of them got sold to people that were before me in the line.

I'm tempted to get one, but I'll probably wait until after Xmas since were planning to buy a few new shelves and furniture for the TV and electronics.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm surprised there's no advertising for PSTwo. I don't know how would that many people even know about it.

Alcibiades

The DS is still a big unknown, does retail have any demo units even?

besides, it's targeted at adults, but yeah where is the GBA? With a Pokemon just having being released, you'd think it would be more visible...

evil ways

They made a comeback. The hot thing nowadays is old shit, and nostalgia, My Little Pony, Cabbage Patch, Classic WWF, Classic Star Wars. I guess Bandai thought it was too good of a chance to miss that train.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Wal-Mart around my place was selling them like hotcakes, even places like Superstore have given the new PSTwo a high visibility placement in the electronics section. I won't be buying one though - no HD? No sale.

Top Bottom