• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ride for 2005 being announced today at Paramount Canada's Wonderland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I know what it is already :)

It's based on a movie license that no one will expect but it was a damn good movie and the ride should be even better according to what I know :)

I have been assured that this ride will blow the abomination known as, Tomb Raider: The Ride, out of the water....

Apparentally this ride is expected to offer Top Gun some competition as to which ride is the most popular in the park....

Shinobi

It would have to be a Paramount movie anyway, right?

Not that I'm gonna attempt a guess, but it narrows the field a bit.

BigJonsson said:
I have been assured that this ride will blow the abomination known as, Tomb Raider: The Ride, out of the water....

I hope so. I went there last weekend, and this ride stank. It was made for old ladies and young kids. That thing had no sense of speed whatsoever. God damn I was pissed. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes to go in, as it was my first ride of the day.

Top Gun was class though.

I'm hoping they'll tear TR apart and put an Indiana Jones ride instead. :)

Tritroid

In Ohio, we have Paramount's King's Island. And Top Gun there is crap. It's like a 15 second hang-down roller coaster, so if that's what yours actually is, that park must really suck if it's the park favorite. :p

Our park favorite was previously The Beast, built in 1979 (R.L. Stine wrote a book about it), but now the park favorite is Son of Beast, which is the longest and first looping wooden coaster.

I went on the Drop Zone, and being useasy with heights, I screamed by lungs out when I was dropping. It rocked.

Tritroid

6.8 said:
A looping wooden rollercoaster? Wtf?

TopGun :

http://www.pcwjunkies.com/pcw/coasters/tg.htm
Son of Beast:
3277.jpg

overview.gif

http://www.thrillride.com/sonofbeast/sob.html

Yeah that looks like the Top Gun in Ohio. But are those foot-dangle seats? The one in Ohio has drop-down buckets:

3286.jpg

But still, like I said it's insanely short and disappointing. Compared to the other rides in the park, it's lame.

Wow, I want to go to Ohio all of a sudden. :)

Yeah, your top gun looks like another ride at canada's wonderland's (cy something, can't remember), which would be satisfying if it wasn't for its short duration.

shoplifter

The Beast is nowhere near as fast as it -used- to be back in the day, but it still totally owns. SoB is a pretty great ride as well.

My money is on either MI:The Ride, Jackass:The Movie:The Ride, Jimmy Neutron:The Movie:The Ride, or Dickie Roberts: Former Child Actor:The Ride.

BarneyBP

It's Italian Job, right? Wonderland and King's Island are getting the same ride. Or at least two different rides with the same name. Let's hope Wonderland doesn't get shafted like last time (PKI Tomb Raider > PCW Tomb Raider). Can't wait to ride in those Mini Coopers...

Memles

Haven't been to CW in four years...how is Tomb Raider? I know it was obviously a disappointing, but that's the problem exactly?

Oh, and Top Gun? The feet dangling does add some thrills.

And, the KI one reminds me of Vortex at CW, for the person searching for the name.

FoneBone

The concept sounds cool, but I don't think a "day trip" park like the Paramount ones can afford to do it elaborately enough.

Memles said:
Haven't been to CW in four years...how is Tomb Raider? I know it was obviously a disappointing, but that's the problem exactly?

The problem is that there are no drops. It's just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning. The only neat thing is the mechanism to bring you up (it doesn't use chains, it's like a big platform that pushes you through a spiral). But the ride is very underwhelming. I expected speed and spinning, and I just got spinning.

Vortex! that's it. :)

BarneyBP

I think you're referring to the Tomb Raider at King's Island, which is a Huss Top Spin. The Tomb Raider at CW, which I believe was the one being asked about, is a flying coaster. And I'd take the Top Spin over that particular coaster, so as far as Tomb Raider's go, PKI probably did get the better end.

If any of you watched the video, it looks like it starts with a helix inside of some sort of parking garage, it was hard to see any detail but they could do some excellent head/appendage choppers in there as well as some near misses. Here's hoping....

Tritroid

Wait a sec, the Tomb Raider ride at CW is a coaster? At King's Island it's a virtual reality theater that really sucks. :\

Bowser

Paramount's Carowinds on the NC/SC border line is awesome! We have two great rides in Top Gun and the Borg Assimilator.

Top Gun:

2932.jpg

Video: http://www.carowinds.com/i/3029.wmv

Signature attraction. 32-passenger, inverted steel coaster with floorless cars suspended below the track. Takes guests on six inversions including a space drop, a vertical loop, an immelman, a batwing, a flat spin and finally into a spiral.

Borg Assimilator:

2883.jpg

Video: http://www.carowinds.com/i/3556.mov

The Carolinas' first flying coaster is also the tallest roller coaster in the park and the first roller coaster in the world to carry a Star Trek theme. It soars riders through eight inversions, most while flying facedown, zooming toward the ground and turning skyward just in time for the next inversion.

Kefkaff

Banned
I fail to see the reason for themeing a roller coaster off of a Movie.

I went to CW earlier this year, and Tomb Raider looked dumb as shit. I mean, the entrance was all like.. 'tomb raidery' I guess, and then the rides color scheme was like "uh wtf does this have to do with tomb raider ?_?"

I didn't go on it btw, I don't go on coasters. My friends did.. said it sucked.

BarneyBP

No really, I promise you. The ride at King's Island is a Giant Top Spin. At the start, the ride engages and lifts you up to view the statue, at the peak of the ride's cycle are the icycles and at the bottom (when being held upside down) is the lava. The rest is just spinning in darkness.

-Brian

They were parading Mini's around Wonderland today but I didn't get to the park in time/got stuck in the office punching in for my shift so I missed it :p

But I was told that Mark Whalberg was at the park today lol

GG-Duo

Interesting. But those fast cuts have convinced me that this will probably suck.

Also, um, Wonderland needs to cut back on the Spongebob. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom