• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars Trilogy (based on 4-6) - GBA

jedimike

http://www.gamegossip.com/comment.php?id=8667

Ubisoft this morning announced that it's developing a Game Boy Advance title based on the Star Wars Trilogy, appropriately titled, Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice Of The Force. In development at Ubisoft's Montreal studio, Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice Of The Force will have players going through various moments from the classic Star Wars movies, taking on the role of Luke Skywalker through single player and both cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes of play. Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice Of The Force is scheduled to ship on September 21st, 2004.

If it's anything like the "Super" series, then I'll definitely get me a GBA:SP.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You lie, Super Star Wars was fantastic.

I doubt this will be anything like it though, just a DVD cash-in

jarrod

Banned
Man, UbiSoft's really getting serious about GBA all of a sudden. Fist Guardian Heroes now Star Wars... maybe they should talk to Namco about Klonoa/Driller/Tales? Or even better, Square Enix about DQM/Torneko/Slime Morimori?

epmode

if i remember correctly, the star wars super series was being released when the x-wing sim series was in full swing. it's rubbish by default.)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
epmode said:
if i remember correctly, the star wars super series was being released when the x-wing sim series was in full swing. it's rubbish by default.)

Even for Gaf that is a nonsensical reply...wtf are you talking about?!?

Ristamar

What the fuck are some of you smoking? The SNES Star Wars games rocked in their era, though Jedi was a little weak.

Deg

Banned
epmode said:

So true.

As for this UBIsoft game i hope its good. Although SC is supposed to be rubbish on handhelds.

I think I can translate.

Translates to:

"[alien language]??????????????????[/alien language]. Super Star Wars was a bad game."

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
is this meant for release alongside the dvd trilogy in the fall? I'd love a star wars game like the snes one but with side scrolling or vertical space/shooting sequences.

Keio

For a Finer World
Wasn't Prince of Persia GBA developed in Ubi Montreal?

That was a great 2d game. I'm really looking forward to seeing them make a new game based on the good Star Wars IP (as opposed to Ep 1-3)...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't know why, but my bro sold the Super Trilogy back in the day. Oh whyy.....the games were awesome

Ristamar

I also sold the trilogy some time during the first half of '96. Needless to say, I regret that choice. ME = SELF-PWN3D.

:(

BojTrek

Banned
Looks pretty good... I won't buy a Gameboy to play it though...

20040712_3_bg.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
The top-down shooter/driving sections look nice!

I toast Ubisoft Montreal for not trying to make it 3d!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BojTrek said:
Looks pretty good... I won't buy a Gameboy to play it though...

20040712_3_bg.jpg

And this is supposed to look "good" ?

For Cell phone games standards maybe, but not for long.

No wonder why people buy so few games on GBA...

Maybe this game will have great gameplay, but the graphics are below what the GBA can do and the SNES could do.

levious

it looks like the characters are 3d like tony hawk. Might have some nice animation.

Mairu

A Game Boy Color game would never look like that :p

Looks interesting, though I might actually prefer GBA ports of the Super Star Wars series :/

BuddyC

Ubisoft and Lucasarts to bring the EPIC Star Wars® Trilogy to Game Boy Advance
London - July 13, 2004 - Ubisoft, one of the world's largest videogame publishers, today announced it is developing a videogame based on the blockbuster Star Wars Trilogy for the Game Boy® Advance in cooperation with LucasArts. Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force is set to release late September, 2004 to coincide with the launch of the highly anticipated Star Wars Trilogy DVD.

Developed by Ubisoft's Montreal studio, Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force will challenge gamers to adventure through the most exciting and memorable scenes from the classic Star Wars Trilogy, controlling Luke Skywalker as he becomes a Jedi Knight, taking part in unique co-operative single-player and competitive multiplayer modes, and participating in other memorable Star Wars-based tests.

"Star Wars is a great franchise for videogames, being such an exciting, moving and rich universe," said Florence Alibert, marketing director at Ubisoft EMEA. "We are excited to have the 'best of' Star Wars on the Game Boy Advance with Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force. For every movie fan aged 5 to 50, it will be the perfect gift and a 'must-have' for this Christmas season.

jedimike

I actually like the looks of it... it has an artistic flare about it. I love the backgrounds in the side-scrolling scenes. The pseudo cel shading looks pretty cool.

levious

your positive thinking has no meaning here.

I'd give anything if this was a Rolling Thunder rip off.

Yes, the rancor does put me in mind of cell shading too. The whole game has a certain stylized/cartoonish flair. If it animates well, it could be much like Yoshi's Island, or, if it doesn't, it could visually resemble The Ripping Friends.

I personally prefer the cleaner, more realistic style of the Super Star Wars games for the subject matter, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Keio

For a Finer World
This might be a million seller for Ubisoft, IF it's good and not a half-arsed cash-in and IF marketed properly. Probably a lot of the GBA SP market have grown up with Star Wars...

Honestly people is it that hard to know the difference between "cell" and "cel" It's Cel-Shading, with ONE L, not two. Like a cel of animation, not a prison cell.

Also, I'm not fond of the look for this game. The character faces have no detail. It looks like they MIGHT be running this off the Prince of Persia GBA engine (though I think the style looks much better with PoP's "arsty" look).

princeofpersia_093003_30.jpg

princeofpersia_093003_31.jpg

princeofpersia_093003_27.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
It looks like they MIGHT be running this off the Prince of Persia GBA engine (though I think the style looks much better with PoP's "arsty" look).
The screenshots of PoP are so much better... But I hope they animate Star Wars as well and it might be as attractive.

hobbitx

These games look pretty interesting, I'll definitely check these out sometime. I also wasn't a really big fan of the snes SW games, they were kinda fun but they get old pretty fast, and ugh@ those giant sabers it had. I really, really liked that japanese Star Wars game Namco made for NES though, it's really fun to play on an emu with saved states. Out of all the SW games I've played that involved sabers, that one little NES game made me feel more like I was holding a saber than modern 3d games like JK2. The little Luke sprite has the coolest little sleek saber I've ever seen in a game and the combat was pretty fun too. Seeing anime style Luke and Leia was pretty kickass too.

Too many PC geeks in this thread. I was part of the console series exclusively. No PC gamin in this damn house. Only pure Super SW Trilogy.

Top Bottom