• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Not a 'huge' fan of NSMB but drunkenly ordered this (I was planning to so not all loss); really enjoying the game so far. Lots of hidden bits (am surprised how hidden one of the secret worlds was!); the coin thing feels redundant to me though (why don't they use stars to access levels and coins to get to toad?) - I haven't picked up as much as I thought and it feels more like an after thought.

Game is really fun though; your usual tight Mario gameplay. Better than I expected.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The shop music is pretty chill.

And not a BAH BAH to be heard so the haters should be happy for once.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not a 'huge' fan of NSMB but drunkenly ordered this (I was planning to so not all loss); really enjoying the game so far. Lots of hidden bits (am surprised how hidden one of the secret worlds was!); the coin thing feels redundant to me though (why don't they use stars to access levels and coins to get to toad?) - I haven't picked up as much as I thought and it feels more like an after thought.

Game is really fun though; your usual tight Mario gameplay. Better than I expected.

NSMB games are like playing Mario with shoes of butter. Go back and play Mario World after you beat this and you'll die a bunch just because the controls are so damn tight.

NSMB games are like playing Mario with shoes of butter. Go back and play Mario World after you beat this and you'll die a bunch just because the controls are so damn tight.

I've been alternating between this and VIP 5 and it goes both ways actually, and I guess if I tossed some SMB 3 in there it would be the same.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AU$3 a pack is pretty disappointing. It's easy to say "that's cheap!", but Nintendo is definitely charging more for the levels than they need to, and more than what they're worth relative to the amount of levels in the base version of the game.

AU$2 would have been much nicer :(.

Chopper

The expert pack is fucking fantastic! I've just spent 45 minutes on it, and am yet to finish! Getting a good 1500 coins by the end of the second level though (the furthest I have got; the final lava pit). Very good value for money at £2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jesus christ this is hard

Boney

Banned

it's the opposite for me, I die in Worl like crazy because they're so loose. Mid air trajectory is impossible to handle now!

The expert pack is fucking fantastic! I've just spent 45 minutes on it, and am yet to finish! Getting a good 1500 coins by the end of the second level though (the furthest I have got; the final lava pit). Very good value for money at £2.

I'm feeling like chickening out for now and taking the middle pack, on the other hand perishing a lot will make that £2 have more worth so to speak.

EatChildren

Ha ha. I know! I saw the 5-star difficulty and tought "Pfffff, good one". About 50 retries later, I'm yet to see the third stage.

After finishing the first stage I was thinking "Nice and tough! But tolerable *smug*". Cue wayward jump right out of the gate in stage two, straight into lava.

In retrospect, it's kind of funny that people were complaining you could chew through these packs in ~5 - 10 minutes. Even ignoring the intention to replay, the five star pack is way too difficult to breeze through that quickly, unless you're super pro.

Chopper

I'm feeling like chickening out for now and taking the middle pack, on the other hand perishing a lot will make that £2 have more worth so to speak.
The first two packs are both easy. I wonder if anything happens if you hit the "Target" number of coins. If so, the middle pack is definitely worth having, just cos that target is only 10,000 coins. But yeah, you certainly guarentee your money's worth with the third.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the first pack, just cos there were coins everywhere.

I say spend your 6 quid man.

I lived up to my coward infused words and went with the second pack, I like how they reused the totem like stage theme as well as splicing castle theme with the volcanic caverns, this scenery splicing should be used more often in the main game for further visual variety.
Enjoyable stages with far more coin spillage then usual, i'll probably leave it a while before I decide to delve into the hard pack.

Well, got my million. :) Now gimme my DLC, NOA. :mad: Lucky Euro GAF.

1674F192-C3C7-4BCB-AEE8-31184F242747-637-0000008B00D1413B.jpg

I haven't bought any of the packs yet, I'm not sure I want the hard one lol...... I've been playing Mario games since Mario 1 back on the NES but now-a-days I just, I dunno, don't seem to have the energy or patience to find fun in ridiculously hard parts of games anymore.

Is it really that bad?

daakusedo

Before thinking of collecting star coins and high score, finishing the two expert packs will already be a success. Then, mastering all of this with a good flow. Well, someone will post a video before I'm remotely able to do it...

JoeInky

I seemed to be able to force it by actually challenging a streetpass record -- as soon as I came out of the game afterwards I had the blue light

Yeah this worked, only if you actually complete it though, just starting it then quitting didn't make it appear.

Before thinking of collecting star coins and high score, finishing the two expert packs will already be a success. Then, mastering all of this with a good flow. Well, someone will post a video before I'm remotely able to do it...

There are going to be some crazy videos of the hard pack.

I'd love to see a dev run in a nintendo direct like that last one we got.

Chopper

Just finished the hard pack for the first time. The first level is definitely the hardest.

My total was only 1499 coins.

JoeInky

Just finished the hard pack for the first time. The first level is definitely the hardest.

My total was only 1499 coins.

I can beat that score just on the first stage alone, but I die every single time on the second stage trying to get a gold flower chain jump without touching the ground throughout. It's fucking hard.

And then the fact that I'd have to brave the hard route on the bullet bill stage to really max out my score, it's just too much.

Chopper

Without touching the ground?! I hadn't even contemplated such a thing.

My record for the first stage is 883 and then hitting the top of the flag.

I'm sure there's a way of abusing that random koopa towards the end, but there's no time to reach it if you climb those walls for the third big coin.

EatChildren

If you're maximising coins maybe, but in terms of design I thought it was the 'easiest'. It's pretty straight forward and as long as you get from a-to-b fast enough, and hit the block, which isn't hard, you're basically set as there's no other obstacles.

Goes to show how experiences can differ though. Flying turtle timing is my Achilles heel.

Chopper

Did you do the second level without touching the floor?!

Talk me through that score. I can't get any more than 900 on the first.

Edit: My record is a little over 5500. I hit the tops of the first two flags. Even if I hit the top of the third, which I think is easier on the hard run, it only takes me to about 11000. Nowhere near you.

I've earnt 160,000+ coins since downloading this pack. Well worth my £2.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Downloaded and playing through the packs. Nerve Wreck pack is awesome.

edit: Third stage is definitely the toughest for me. All of them are pretty short, so once you 'discover' the stage it's easy enough. Trying to do the second stage 'without touching the floor' seems like a great challenge.

So are the DLC packs available in the U.S. now too, just that you have to challenge a Streetpass record to get the alert? I have a Streetpass record to challenge but it's locked because even though I have a million coins, I'm still only about halfway through the game.

6595 here :D

Missing that final flagpole by the tiniest fucking distance was the worst thing ever.

EDIT:
coin%20rush%206.png

Come at me GAF

Wow, so does DLC up score possibilities? Because I thought the score originally capped at 13,000 even? Or was that 30k?

daakusedo

In the second nerve wrack level, I'm not sure if jumping on koopa troopa is possible until you're at the part when wall jumping trigger a star coin, the next koopa seems a bit far to reach.
Also I can't grab the top of the flagpole... it seems you have to make two jumps before the koopa but that's hard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally reached the 30k coin limit in Coin Rush thanks to the Gold Flower pack

Glad to finally get that over and done with

I picked up 26000 my first time through without knowing the stages at all, so yeah, that pack looks like it'll be the easiest pack to grind to a million with.

braves01

Banned
I picked up 26000 my first time through without knowing the stages at all, so yeah, that pack looks like it'll be the easiest pack to grind to a million with.

3-4 is still the easiest way to grind (maybe not the most fun). I think the video's on the previous page.

braves01

Banned
My thoughts on the new levels:

Pack #1 is fun and has some cool level design, but there's not much challenge and other levels that are better for grinding coins so if I'd advise against buying it unless you just gotta have it. It was cool seeing the game chug a little bit at the end of course #1 because of all the coins/goombas, it was reminiscent of a bullet-hell shooter almost.

I've spent the least time playing Pack #2, mostly because I'm not a big fan of course #2, which has a ton of the platforms the switch up/down when you jump. It's also pretty easy to reach the target coin total, but I'd say these are the equivalent of decent mid-tier levels in the main game.

Pack #3 is the best, but it's still not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Of course, my clear total is garbage though. I've got a pretty solid strategy for course #1, and I'm improving my Koopa bouncing skills for course #2 so I'll probably have that down pat soon. I'm horrible at the cannon levels though, and I get the least practice doing them because they're at the end so I haven't even cleared
the upper pathway with all the star coins.

tl;dr 3>2>1

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I'm assuming you can't set any of these levels as a streetpass challenge.

I set my 30K (capped) gold rush pack as my streetpass score. Not sure what will show up on someone's 3DS when they tag me in it though. Maybe similar to if you try playing someone else's Flower or Star pack tag before you have it unlocked? (Just displays a message that this pack contains levels you can't play yet.)

It would also kinda hinge on what data is sent when you pass. If it already knows the names of the packs, the courses could be on-cart DLC, if not then we can presume it sends the names of the packs with them. That would also be strange depending on what data it sends for the name, if it's in plain text, cause tags I get on my US 3DS from Japanese people show in English, so for them to show in Japanese on their 3DSes it would have to either send both names if it's not on-cart DLC or else it is on-cart DLC!!!!

aaaaaaa!!!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It aint on-card, you goof, however unnerving the low block sizes are. Pack #1 wouldn't be 3 blocks while packs #2 and #3 are 2 blocks if they were unlocks. They'd all be the same size. Similarly, bundle pack wouldn't be 4 blocks. They'd all be 1!

Gotta just be sendin over level schematics that use 100% on-card assets.

I can get a clean 1700+ on the first Nerve Wrack pack stage, and then a decent run through the second stage but it all falls apart on the last and I miss the flagpole top to boot. It's not too difficult a stage, but the last few bullet bills are brilliantly awkward in their positioning. Also, I fear the upper route.

I get the feeling there's a fair few more hidden golden mushrooms in the stages as well. There's the one at the start of the first stage, and another in the block trio a koopa troopa waddles around on in the second (which I miss because I bounce right off him). Anyone found any others?

Top Bottom