• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Ein Bear

Just finished getting 100% on this (well, I got all 5 stars on my save. I can't be bothered going for 1 million coins). Thought it was an absolutely fantastic game, easily the best 2D platformer they've made since Super Mario World.

They did a much better job hiding the Star Coins/Secret Exits in interesting ways this time round. Getting them felt more like satisfying tests of skill than the tedious 'bring a power up from a different stage into this one' thing that the other NSMB games relied on a bit too often. Here's hoping New Super Mario Bros. U turns out as good as this!

Busaiku

Alright, so I got 4 stars!
The 5th star doesn't hold much value to me, but now I've gotta carry the long haul to 9,999,999 coins...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i have one star, just going through rounding up the rest of the star coins and going for the rest of the stars on the file. however, I noticed, I think I opened the last secret exit, then a white flag popped up on the nearest castle. and seemingly all castles. Does that affect anything or is it just a 'good job' visual reward?

Am I being thick? I can't find my way out of the Ghost House in World 6. I found the secret exit by wall jumping from where you find the third star coin, but I simply can't find the proper exit.

I actually time overed on this level without wanting to or wasting time. I had to race the clock. and I lost :(

Jesse-

Just 100%'d this game. Including getting 1.000.000 coins. Took me 35 hours.
The 1.000.000 coin reward is a
huge let down :(

I just realised, how much does it suck that they didn't put in the cool four player minigames? That was the best part about the original NSMB.
Not as much as it sucked that NSMB was a boring middle of the road platformer compared to other Mario games. I'll take this one 1000 times over, minigames or no. Also, those minigames were just borrowed from SM64 DS.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is there any easy way of finding out if I've missed any exits and which levels I finished with the white raccoon suit?

Sitting on four stars but I've done everything.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Racoon suit: I believe the level will still be red after you've beat the level.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Racoon suit: I believe the level will still be red after you've beat the level.

Thanks. Turns out I'd actually missed one of the canon levels. :p

So is this it? Am I done? 23 hours on the clock.

eejdM.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Getting the box once should get rid of the shine forever like it did on NSMB Wii or maybe put a pacifier next to those stars.

Getting the box once should get rid of the shine forever like it did on NSMB Wii or maybe put a pacifier next to those stars.
lol

:(

Edit: I never used it! But it did shoe up a couple of times :X the level introducing mini mushroom and the level with poison and that freaking fish...

I got the box pop up when trying to nab that last star coin in the star world castle, I don't think this would be fair to me at all!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
People I've been streetpassing all have terrible records. Only one Streetpass has been outside of Mushroom pack and the highest challenge I had was 7,000 coins. Most don't break 2,000 total. l

Roto13

People I've been streetpassing all have terrible records. Only one Streetpass has been outside of Mushroom pack and the highest challenge I had was 7,000 coins. Most don't break 2,000 total. l
Yeah, I've gotten 18 or 19 streetpasses and only one of them wasn't the Mushroom Pack and it looks like only one of them ever reached the top of the flagpole at the end of any level. I only had one that I didn't beat my first try.

All of these people are getting my 18,000 coin run. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, I've gotten 18 or 19 streetpasses and only one of them wasn't the Mushroom Pack and it looks like only one of them ever reached the top of the flagpole at the end of any level. I only had one that I didn't beat my first try.

All of these people are getting my 18,000 coin run. :p

26,000 coins on the Flower pack for me. I'm too lazy to push it to the limit, but maybe if I start to get some more competitive passes.

Maybe the Wii U launch will give me some challenge.

donny2112

Yeah, have only seen one over 10,000.
Mine's at 30,000 after much work. :lol

Yoshi

Imo getting the gold leaf pop up shouldn't do anything to the sparkles, but if you get the star coins with the gold leaf, it would be right to demand a new run where you get any star coin you haven't gotten without the lead yet again.

Edit: Regarding streetpasses: I've got one by a collegue at gamescom when I wasn't seriously playing coin rush yet and he's got a nice level set where he got about 25.000 coins. Some here may know him, it's tilmen, a really nice guy by the way!

I decided I'm not clearing the game until I get a million coins. I'm still using my simple Mushroom level pack of 1-4, 1-2 and W1 Fortress and I've had an absolute blast grinding it to perfection. Now sitting at a score of 10,550 with a little under 600k. There's no Golden flower in this pack either yet it's a coin bonanza with tons of tricks.

Also, I just recently unlocked Flower pack, who on earth would seriously want to grind coins in water stages? Ugh.

Vaati

Banned
I bought this game a few days ago and I'm really impressed by it.

Maybe it's because I came in with no expectations but I feel the levels are really well designed.

Roto13

Maybe it's because I came in with no expectations but I feel the levels are really well designed.

The levels are really well designed. A lot of people just care more about level themes than level design.

Dr.Hadji

Just gota say. Coin Rush is the best reason to replay levels in a platformer since the days when secrets in a platformer was a new thing. Beats Time-Attack anything in any other platformer I've played.

izakq

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm still confused on how to get one of the Five Stars on the save file.

I have three of them, (Beat Bowser, Collect All Star Coins, Collect All Moon Coins). Half-way there on the life department for the fourth one (500). Now the last one says to find all exits. I've check all maps and see that I did find them all, no reds, and I'm 100% sure that I didn't use the white Racoon Mario suit. Now if I had died on a level more than five times, and the block shows up, does that disqualify it? Something else on the map that gives a hint that the level wasn't "completed"? I have no idea.

Speed ran the whole game just to get the lean, mean, green machine. Now time to go back and actually play it. To bad it's not available in coin rush mode.

Yoshi

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm still confused on how to get one of the Five Stars on the save file.

I have three of them, (Beat Bowser, Collect All Star Coins, Collect All Moon Coins). Half-way there on the life department for the fourth one (500). Now the last one says to find all exits. I've check all maps and see that I did find them all, no reds, and I'm 100% sure that I didn't use the white Racoon Mario suit. Now if I had died on a level more than five times, and the block shows up, does that disqualify it? Something else on the map that gives a hint that the level wasn't "completed"? I have no idea.

As long as you're not using the golden leaf, there is no influence on your savestate whatsoever.

Socreges

Banned

Check the last world. For me there was a mushroom house that I needed to unlock that definitely wasn't there before.

Okay, I admit it too....finding all the secret pathways/star coins is a lot more challenging this time around. I love it!

Can't believe I'm actually tempted to cheat and youtube up some of the secret exits. And did it take anyone else a while to find the middle/2nd Star Coin for 6-4?

Anyways, this is probably my favorite NSMB out of all of them. (I played all 3 of them)

Insaniac

I wish you could see replays of people street pass records, that'd be entertaining. I put a lot of effort into my street pass record

DSGamer

Neo Member

I don't think it's just that. I've played every Mario platformer and this is my favorite since Super Mario World. It's just really good. I'm confused at the reviews.

DSGamer

Neo Member
This is why I entered the thread, to see how the dust has settled. I think imma bite soon.

Funny thing is that I think a lot of us laughed when Nintendo said in their 3DS E3 presser "It's all about the coins." That seemed so trite and dumb and made this game look even sillier in my eyes. The verdict on that? Collecting coins at a prodigious rate is really fun, it turns out. It takes the thing from SMB1 of getting hundreds of lives by bouncing on a turtle and gives you numerous ways to do the same thing all over the place. It's a blast.

And it's probably the weirdest Mario game since SMB2 or Super Mario Land for the GB. It's bizarre. There's a princess and similar worlds, etc., but otherwise it's a very odd game when you think about it. One minute you're flying with the Tanooki suit to find hidden coins and hidden exits. The next you're giant Mario and you're destroying everything. The next you're gold Mario or you have the block hat on and you're running around racking up coins and extra lives. It's really weird, but in a good way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ok, 100 billion coins total is pretty cool. Can they also calculate people without wifi (via streetpass or some shit)

Reopening toad houses for everyone at will is pretty amazing as well, you could do crazy stuff in this way for games in the future. Wii U's probably gonna have a shitload of this stuff

Socreges

Banned
This is why I entered the thread, to see how the dust has settled. I think imma bite soon.
Keep in mind that OTs after a few weeks are usually populated by the group of people that really liked the game while the rest have since left. It doesn't really give a fair reflection of the games reception. I actually think the variety of reviews, most mildly positive, are pretty much the reality. I'd personally recommend the game at a reduced price. It's fun, if not underwhelming at times.

Funny thing is that I think a lot of us laughed when Nintendo said in their 3DS E3 presser "It's all about the coins." That seemed so trite and dumb and made this game look even sillier in my eyes. The verdict on that? Collecting coins at a prodigious rate is really fun, it turns out. It takes the thing from SMB1 of getting hundreds of lives by bouncing on a turtle and gives you numerous ways to do the same thing all over the place. It's a blast.
*raises hand* I still think it's trite and dumb. I wouldn't act like your opinion is "the verdict". :p

DSGamer

Neo Member
Keep in mind that OTs after a few weeks are usually populated by the group of people that really liked the game while the rest have since left. It doesn't really give a fair reflection of the games reception. I actually think the variety of reviews, most mildly positive, are pretty much the reality. I'd personally recommend the game at a reduced price. It's fun, if not underwhelming at times.

*raises hand* I still think it's trite and dumb. I wouldn't act like your opinion is "the verdict". :p

That's kind of the definition of a post on a forum like this. It's an opinion.

Socreges

Banned
That's kind of the definition of a post on a forum like this. It's an opinion.
Point being that when you say "The verdict on that? ...." it's going to sound like you're speaking of some arrived at consensus. Just clarifying for anyone coming in here wanting impressions.

Darryl

Banned
I can definitely see how the reviews were so mixed about this game. The music was pretty bad, with the only song that I enjoyed listening to being the one in that lava stage. I don't get how people say the level design was good - it was some of the weakest that I've seen in a Nintendo platformer. I never played the original NSMB, though. There were a lot of secrets and that was a nice touch. I like the idea of coins but it ended up feeling thrown in at a last second. The hard parts always had few coins and the areas with massive coins were always really easy, which I feel should've been completely in reverse. The game was really short. I'm still glad that I picked it up and it was definitely worth the price, but it's no where near as strong of an effort as 3D Land was.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can definitely see how the reviews were so mixed about this game. The music was pretty bad, with the only song that I enjoyed listening to being the one in that lava stage. I don't get how people say the level design was good - it was some of the weakest that I've seen in a Nintendo platformer. I never played the original NSMB, though. There were a lot of secrets and that was a nice touch. I like the idea of coins but it ended up feeling thrown in at a last second. The hard parts always had few coins and the areas with massive coins were always really easy, which I feel should've been completely in reverse. The game was really short. I'm still glad that I picked it up and it was definitely worth the price, but it's no where near as strong of an effort as 3D Land was.

Well. All I can say about the level design is that when replayed, IMO the levels get better and better. Due to coin rush and randomly selected levels, the stages appear intended to be seen in a new light when you're optimizing runs and coin totals.

Depending on the power up you pick and various strategies, such as when to employ a gold flower, how you attack a course can completely change. For me, I found it to be some of the best level design and most fun to play stations in a platformer.

The game does feel short at first due to 2 main worlds being 'hidden'. When going back to uncover all the secrets and unlock the final Star world, it ends up soaking up more time than it appears at first.

Reused music aside, my final impressions of the game are very positive. But bear in mind... I'm viewing it purely as a sequel to the original DS game, which I think is their intent by keeping certain elements like locked worlds, mini and giant mushrooms, confined to the portable games. As a sequel to the DS game, it's fantastic.

NSMB U is clearly intended as a sequel to, and dramatic expansion of, the Wii game.

So I'm at the end of world 3 and I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. My girlfriend only got a 3DS XL last month, so for the last few weeks I've been 100%ing Super Mario 3D Land which is easily one of my favourite Mario games now.

Going from that to this is pretty striking. I think it's inferior in almost every way. Not bad, of course, just... a bit plain.

Can I get a simple yes/no answer to the following question which is a spoiler about 3D Land:
Is there awesome post-game content? Eg new levels like 3D Land?

Top Bottom