• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken 5 Screenshots

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
From http://www.tekken-official.jp:

0630_27_b.jpg

0630_26_b.jpg

0630_25_b.jpg

0630_24_b.jpg

0630_23_b.jpg

0630_22_b.jpg

0630_21_b.jpg

0630_20_b.jpg

0630_19_b.jpg

0630_18_b.jpg

0630_17_b.jpg

0630_16_b.jpg
0630_15_b.jpg

0630_14_b.jpg

0630_13_b.jpg

0630_12_b.jpg

0630_11_b.jpg

0630_10_b.jpg
0630_09_b.jpg
0630_08_b.jpg

0630_07_b.jpg

0630_06_b.jpg

0630_05_b.jpg

0630_04_b.jpg
0630_03_b.jpg

0630_02_b.jpg

0630_01_b.jpg

XS+

Banned
Why is T5 being released in arcades in the FALL, when every major Namco arcade release of the past 6 years has come out in the summer? I need something new to play already. What a crappy summer.

XS+

Banned
Would it be cool if I got myself a tattoo of the "die" kanji on my shoulder, like the one Raven has?

Kudie

OG_Original Gamer said:
PS2 exclusive?

I'm guessing so, since T5 is being built off of architecture similar to the PS2 and as Namco seems to think that the main Tekken fanbase is already on PlayStation.

But given the success of SCII on all 3 systems, I don't see why Namco wouldn't do the same with T5. Maybe they could release versions of T5 with console exclusive characters like they did with SCII.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kudie said:
I'm guessing so, since T5 is being built off of architecture similar to the PS2 and as Namco seems to think that the main Tekken fanbase is already on PlayStation.

But given the success of SCII on all 3 systems, I don't see why Namco wouldn't do the same with T5. Maybe they could release versions of T5 with console exclusive characters like they did with SCII.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a PS2 exclusive...I mean, look at the original character chosen for the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II. :p

Kudie

Shoryuken said:
This game needs to have 8 way run.

I don't know. I wasn't too fond of 8 way run in SCII because I found it to be really annoying and frustrating. I prefer the side-step/evade ala VF4 since it promotes more head to head fighting and rewards precise timing, rather than having someone just keep circling around you.

Tellaerin

Kudie said:
I prefer the side-step/evade ala VF4 since it promotes more head to head fighting and rewards precise timing, rather than having someone just keep circling around you.

I hate when something I can do easily in real life is turned into a laborious undertaking in a videogame. Just moving around in the RE games is one example--I don't move like a tank IRL, so the character I'm controlling in a game shouldn't, either. It makes something that should be simple and intuitive unnecessarily awkward. Likewise, I don't need 'precise timing' to circle around an opponent in a fight IRL, just two feet and the desire to use them. Either give me the ability to sidestep at will with the L/R buttons or a SC-style 8-way run--this is a 3D fighter, so easy lateral movement should be a part of the game, not an artifically difficult exercise in frustration. :p

GigaDrive

Banned
it looks good, but not better than what a PS2 / System 246 puts out. I don't see the improvement with this System 258 board. not like the System 12 provided over a PS1 / System 11. I hope it plays well though. I was a fan of Tekken 1, 2 and 3. I want the same feeling of Tekken 3. but better.

Virtua Fighter 5 is gonna eat Tekken 5 alive, though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
GigaDrive said:
it looks good, but not better than what a PS2 / System 246 puts out. I don't see the improvement with this System 258 board. not like the System 12 provided over a PS1 / System 11. I hope it plays well though. I was a fan of Tekken 1, 2 and 3. I want the same feeling of Tekken 3. but better.

Virtua Fighter 5 is gonna eat Tekken 5 alive, though.

You speak the truth. Ever since I got into Virtua Fighter, I can't stand Tekken. I think I'm just going to play more VF4 Evo...Tekken 5 really isn't doing anything for me at this point.

Kudie

Grizzlyjin said:
You speak the truth. Ever since I got into Virtua Fighter, I can't stand Tekken. I think I'm just going to play more VF4 Evo...Tekken 5 really isn't doing anything for me at this point.

Same here. I'd take VF over Tekken any day. However, the mainstream, casual U.S. gamer seems to think otherwise. :(

Dujour

Banned
They're different animals, damn. Stop comparing the two already, it's isn't 19damned95 anymore. It's like comparing Ridge Racer to the Gran Tourismo series. One's an arcade game while the other's more of a sim.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think it looks good enough, hope the game is fun though. I was extremely hyped for Tekken 4, and honestly let down once I played it. Maybe I had been spoiled with the excellent and polished Tekken Tag. Seems like the Tag mode will be back now, which makes this game more interesting than 4 already.

I've never been able to get into the VF series really. I think Sera said it best.

DSN2K said:
average looks + stale tekken gameplay = no purchase.

I wouldn't brush it off so quickly. Most reports have said they're basing this Tekken of VF4 (you can already see some stuff from VF4 with the destructable floors and custom characters). So if they're really taking that comparison seriously, this Tekken could be better than alot of people expect.

HAOHMARU

Ok, I hate T3kk3n. :*(

Seriously though, this doesn't look to good visually. Either Namco is getting lazy, or the PS2 is starting to show its age.

Are any of these jaw dropping? Not to me...I think it actually looks worse than Tekken 4.

Does the same team work on Tekken and Soul Calibur or are they completely different?

ourumov

Looks interesting...As always TTT features better models....but that's the price you pay for making 3D backgrounds, a thing that was demmanded by those who now are criticizing the game and praising DOA.

Alucard

Banned
Give me an 8-way run and something NEW. This series hasn't really progressed since Tekken 2!

I will forever heart Xiaoyu. Best Tekken character ever.

ourumov

Yeah, but EVERY 3D fighter has real 3D arenas...not just DOA. Tekken just held onto the endless arena element for too long.

Tekken 1 - 2D+ Endless movement

Tekken 2 - 2D+ Endless movement

Tekken 3 - 2D+ Endless movement

TTT - 3D + Endless Movement (remember the stages with animated crew).

T4 - Total rip of some of the DOA2/VF3 collision system. Demmanded by a lot of non-Tekken fans (proof of it is that Tekken fans continue playing 3/TTT in a great measure).

T5 - ¿?

For me TTT was already good. I don't expect Tekken to play as DOA/VF, it's a different system.

Oh, I, too, thought that TTT was the best Tekken released. However, unless there's some seriously better and more thought-out design, akin to VF4, in T5, I'm not really interested. However, if it does have a tag-battle mode, I'll probably get it. Optional tag-battle modes make all fighting games more fun. I'm still waiting for fighting games to make the custom-tournament features of Super Street Fighter II and Eternal Champions: CFtDS standard.

Top Bottom