• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken 5 Screenshots

Hey defensor and others....good looking out and posting pics from the game...graphics look tight....finally a game i can go play in between classes...i just wish more games would come out in the arcade.... i miss competing against others...(SF2 MK1,2,3,tekken series)

Insertia

call me crazy, but the graphics are pretty damn nice.

the image quality of the screens suck, but it's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

XS+

Banned
Graphics are great (any contrary opinion is stupid) and Namco's openly drawing inspiration from VF, last time they did that they made their best and most balnced fighter to date, Soul Calibur 1. Don't understand all the hate in this thread, but who cares.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fallopian Tube said:
Virtua Fighter 3 looks better.

vf3tb_screen018.jpg

0630_01_b.jpg

virtua-fighter-3tb-2.jpg

0630_19_b.jpg

Hmm...

dark10x

MightyHedgehog said:
Ummm...those are shots of the crappy Genki conversion of VF3tb on DC and not the arcade Model 3 game, which looks a lot better, IMO.

1064294286.jpg

1064294295.jpg

...and THOSE are shots from a camera which ALWAYS make games look better than they really do. Remember those PGR2 shots that BeOnEdge took? Damn did those look amazing...

Still, you can clearly see that VF3 comes nowhere near T5. Also, the DC port really wasn't missing much at all and looked well within 95% of the arcade game.

I tried looking for arcade VF3 shots, but they are hard to find (at least direct feed shots, which is only fair).

Doesn't matter to me. I'm simply pointing out that the DC version looked like ass compared to the arcade board coin-op. Those shots you picked are also pretty assy.

dark10x

MightyHedgehog said:
Doesn't matter to me. I'm simply pointing out that the DC version looked like ass compared to the arcade board coin-op. Those shots you picked are also pretty assy.

It did NOT though. Poeple have claimed that before, but when you actually hook them up side by side, you can see that only minor details are missing or changed. The difference is virtually nil, when you get right down to it.

How do I know? I'VE DONE THAT! Back before DC was released, my friend had an import machine and VF3tb. We ran down to the arcade (which he worked at) with the DC and hooked up the DC next to the VF3 machine. This was when I was really hyping the machine to death. I wanted to really compare the two (as I had heard the DC version was lacking), but in reality, it was not really a big deal. So suggesting that the DC version "looked like ass" means the arcade version did as well because they looked so damn similar!

People were really impressed with the DC back then, of course...which was my plan. He he.

XS+

Banned
dark10x said:
Also, the DC port really wasn't missing much at all and looked well within 95% of the arcade game.
VF3 DC is as close to the arcade as VF4E PS2 is close to the arcade. Respectable but missing a whole lot.

Only DC game that came closest to looking like the Model 3 original is VOOT, and even then the game doesn't look right, because DC doesn't do filtering/AA.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yeah the haters need to go off into a corner and die or something.

I can easily see the improvement in visuals over Tekken 4. It's actually pretty dramatic if you really take a second to think about what T4 actually looked like. T5's textures are WAY more detailed and the characters and stages show a noticable boost in the polygon count as well.

I'm actually hoping this gets released on all three platforms because theres no way the PS2 can pull off these visuals. I'm sorry, it just can't. I saw some high res shots of Paul Phoenix's gee on another webiste (can't recall it right now - it was a japanese one) and the textures look excellent - way better than anything I've seen on the PS2 and I have about 200 games for the system. I'd love for them to perform a miracle but as of right now I don't see it happening. I'm expecting a port of T3 quality on the PS2 - well actually a little better than that. There's no way it will be arcade perfect.

ge-man

Actually, I think the real problem that people are having is that some other fighters has spolied us with crazy graphics. As much as I dislike DOA fighting system, the game is just on another level of visuals. The graphics T5 would be more than great if there wasn't any other competition besides VF. However, in the end I'd take Teken and VF over DOA everytime in spite of the visuals.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
As a Die hard VF player i have to say shut the hell up to the people saying vf3 looks better than this.

Seriously, visually its around VF4 levels.

dark10x

The Faceless Master said:
i don't think anyone is complaining about the textures... they're great...

the problem is those screens are on a whole other level of jagginess...

That ISN'T a problem, though. Surely you can understand that these are framebuffer grabs? When running at 480p on an actual display, it will look incredibly clean. Tekken 4, VF4, and even DOA3 direct feed shots always demonstrate this...

Look...

vf4_aou_screen018.jpg

That looks a LOT rougher than the game actually IS when running. At the arcade, it is EXTREMELY sharp looking.

Deg

Banned
Tekken 4 has nice graphics i dont know why you guys are acting like this. The backgrounds and models are some of the best in any fighting game already.

MAZYORA

I wonder if System 258 is a weaker version of System 248? I wonder why Namco didn't use Naomi 2 instead of System 258 since they were upgrading. It would've looked alot better if they used Naomi 2, that's for sure. From the looks of T5, it looks like Namco went back to its roots of ripping of AM2.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
character proportions seem more exaggerated this time out - i notice long arms and huge heads. marduk looks particularly weird. but i think it looks really damned impressive from the trailer, anyway...a distinct step up from even sc2.

Fusebox

Banned
Have they managed to make the game flow naturally and have they progressed from non-interactive square stages yet?

I find the other Tekkens to be really stiff and jerky, is this the same or is this good?

Saturnman

Banned
I don't think the technical side is the problem in Tekken 5, well, it's not pushing the envelop in the area, but what I think makes people complain is the subjective element called art direction.

Saturnman said:
I don't think the technical side is the problem in Tekken 5, well, it's not pushing the envelop in the area, but what I think makes people complain is the subjective element called art direction.

See that's why TK5 is already looking better than TK4 to me. TK4's stages were dull, dull, dull. A shopping mall? A parking garage? How exciting.

But TK5 we've already seen burning dojos, moonlight fields with mysterious ruins in the background, a plateau on a cloud covered mountain with a giant dragon statue.

GigaDrive

Banned
VF3 DC is as close to the arcade as VF4E PS2 is close to the arcade. Respectable but missing a whole lot.

Only DC game that came closest to looking like the Model 3 original is VOOT, and even then the game doesn't look right, because DC doesn't do filtering/AA.

Dreamcast Virtua Fighter 3 looks about 60 to 70 percent of the Model 3 original overall, at least to my eyes. nowhere near exact, just decent, and missing a noticable amount of polygons and i think some effects too.

I would agree that VF4E on PS2 is as close to VF4E NAOMI 2 arcade, as DC VF3 is to Model 3 VF3.

VOOT seems pretty close, 90 to 95 percent. definitally closer than VF3.

damn, I wish Sega would port their entire Model 3 lineup to Xbox and Gamecube....

But TK5 we've already seen burning dojos, moonlight fields with mysterious ruins in the background, a plateau on a cloud covered mountain with a giant dragon statue.

I believe the word you're looking for is - Retarded.

The Tekken 4 stages were very nice. Plenty of them had activity in the background, and it just had a very cool street fight feel. The only stage I recall not liking all that much was the airport. Only because it was big and bland.

I appreciate the direction the stages of VF4 and TK4 were taking. It reminded me of the interesting stages of Street Fighter or King of Fighters.

OMG! THERE'S A DRAGON ON THE STAGE!!! :p

wait... so a parking garage, airport and mall are better than a moonlit field, burning dojo and dragon encrested shrine? what the hell?

know what would be great? a stage that's a foot locker... and you can knock over the socks rack...

Sai

know what would be great? a stage that's a foot locker... and you can knock over the socks rack...
I know this was not your original intent, but that sounds kinda neat. :)

Matlock

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
How about a stage in an EB, so you can knock over magazine racks? :X

...and all the while, the guys at EB are bugging you to get back with your ex girlfriend! A SURE HIT

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
GigaDrive:
Dreamcast Virtua Fighter 3 looks about 60 to 70 percent of the Model 3 original overall, at least to my eyes. nowhere near exact, just decent, and missing a noticable amount of polygons and i think some effects too.

I would agree that VF4E on PS2 is as close to VF4E NAOMI 2 arcade, as DC VF3 is to Model 3 VF3.
I believe Genki revealed that the characters in the DC version of VF3tb actually have more polygons than the arcade (though, the comparison is obscured due to the triangles versus rectangles factor) but weren't modeled as well, so areas like joints tended to look noticeably rougher than they had to. Differences between the platforms that a developer doesn't have time to work around can be the cause of this for a conversion, like when the Tony Hawk models couldn't be properly updated for its DC port because the old interger code from the PSone version was still being used.

The Model 3 version has some effects done better, seen in places like the lighted construction elevator stage for Jacky and the misty snow pond of Aoi. However, the DC version, although rushed and glitchy, does some effects better too and renders the game at a higher resolution. Overall, while the arcade version is way more polished, they'll supposedly pretty comparable from a technical standpoint.

VF4 for PS2 was basically halved in a lot of ways from the arcade original, but the care and polish AM2 gave to handle it themselves shows how well that can compensate for technical disparity.

miyuru

0630_23_b.jpg

To me it looked like there was more ground emerging rather than being destroyed :p

It'll look cool in motion though.

Diablos

Hopefully this game plays as good as it looks.

Is it me or is that trailer I downloaded look a lot better than these screens? :| Regardless, it's looking nice. A lot nicer than Tekken 4 (what a mistake that game was).

DrDogg

Guzim said:
Is this game just being made for PS2, or is it coming to the arcades first like always?

Arcades in Sept/Oct, Japanese PS2 in March. No US or UK PS2 dates yet.

The game is also beta testing in Japan right now, so hopefully the US beta test in Chicago isn't too far off.

reports from the test version in japan say that the last boss is called:
Mecha8

i'm sure more than a few people here will get the significance of that...

Pachinko

I'm a self admitting Tekken basher.

With that out of the way though, Tekken 5 has better looking graphics then 4 did. Unfortunatly if it still plays the same as the other 5 games in the series I'm not really interested. Virtua fighter and dead or alive are simply better looking, better playing fighting games to me so unless tekken starts to play more like them it'll continue to be near the bottom of my hype meter.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pachinko said:
I'm a self admitting Tekken basher.

Virtua fighter and dead or alive are simply better playing fighting games to me.

VF, yes. DOA, fuck no...to me. ;)

marsomega

Where is Anna?!?!?!

I think the graphics are coming along great so far. Plus, they have really advanced in muscle tone modeling. Just look at the models, especially the boxing british blond guy. Legs and and all.

Also, whats up with kazuya's feet...

DrDogg

reports from the test version in japan say that the last boss is called:
Mecha8

i'm sure more than a few people here will get the significance of that...

Where did you see that info? I've been on and off of TZ for the past few days between updates and I've seen nothing about the single player aspect. In fact, all of the reports indicate that there was a rather long wait and only one machine playable. I haven't heard of anyone playing the single player mode.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm sorry to interrupt the "OMG LOOKS LIKE DC!!!!," "NO IT DOESNT" back and forth that I adore so much, but I have a quick question:

jack_custom.jpg

What in God's name is a "Beefshake?"

Top Bottom