• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive will work in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Mission priority one for humanity needs to be getting these drives outfitted on generational ships to the stars, to improve chances of the continued survival of the species. I'd be the first to volunteer to leave this cruel world.

subrock

Mission priority one for humanity needs to be getting these drives outfitted on generational ships to the stars, to improve chances of the continued survival of the species. I'd be the first to volunteer to leave this cruel world.

what's that philosophical dilemma called where the first generation sent on an interstellar mission will likely be passed by a later generation during their mission?

Mad Max

Your asking for peer-reviewed papers when nobody doesn't really understand how the EM drive is even producing thrust in the first place.

More experimentation needs to be done, and then anyone from the physics community can try to come up with new theories if this pans out.

That's not how this works commonly (speaking as a physicist here), you don't need to fully (or even partially) understand how it works to publish experimental results. Which actually happens more often than the other way around. There are currently a lot of unexplained measurements out there in many fields of physics, and this usually result in further experimental and theoretical investigation. This is what keeps research going.

For now you simply cannot take these claims as scientific evidence of anything, because we only have some people's word for it, which is just not good enough in science.

Nafai1123

Banned
Could you give me the references to those papers then, because I haven't found them yet.

Here's the best summary I've seen. http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

Last summer, NASA Eagleworks – an advanced propulsion research group led by Dr. Harold “Sonny” White at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) – made waves throughout the scientific and technical communities when the group presented their test results on July 28-30, 2014, at the 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference in Cleveland, Ohio.

Those results related to experimental testing of an EM Drive – a concept that originated around 2001 when a small UK company, Satellite Propulsion Research Ltd (SPR), under Roger J. Shawyer, started a Research and Development (R&D) program.

in 2010, Prof. Juan Yang in China began publishing about her research into EM Drive technology, culminating in her 2012 paper reporting higher input power (2.5kW) and tested thrust (720mN) levels of an EM Drive.

In 2014, Prof. Yang’s papers reported extensive tests involving internal temperature measurements with embedded thermocouples.

So even if we discount SPR's testing (since it was done by Shawyer), there are two other labs (Eagleworks and Prof Yang in China) that have shown similar results. Eagleworks are the only ones to test in a hard vacuum so far, and they will supposedly be testing a higher powered magnetron EM Drive later this year. I believe Eagleworks is also planning to have 3 independent research teams do their own testing.

Edit: Here's the paper published by Yang

http://www.emdrive.com/yang-juan-paper-2012.pdf

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
NASA's EM drive? Why does NASA keep getting credit for something this British guy developed and apparently got widely ridiculed for??

NASA's EM drive? Why does NASA keep getting credit for something this British guy developed and apparently got widely ridiculed for??

It's their version of the drive. The original variant by the creator is called the Cannae Drive.

This is also potentially the beginning of what can be a new space race. There are 3 nations at the forefront of this technology, US, UK and China.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
what's that philosophical dilemma called where the first generation sent on an interstellar mission will likely be passed by a later generation during their mission?

I can't remember, but I hope they drop by my ship with life extension drugs and upgrades for our engines.

Good news for all of mankind. It pisses me off whenever I hear the debate that Nasa is a useless waste of taxpayer money.

While I agree, people like to see results for their money, and it's been a long time since NASA was doing anything terribly exciting to the layperson. There have also been a couple of "black eyes" that have further eroded confidence. If something like this comes out of NASA and actually has real-world impact the money will flow again.

That's not how this works commonly (speaking as a physicist here), you don't need to fully (or even partially) understand how it works to publish experimental results. Which actually happens more often than the other way around. There are currently a lot of unexplained measurements out there in many fields of physics, and this usually result in further experimental and theoretical investigation. This is what keeps research going.

For now you simply cannot take these claims as scientific evidence of anything, because we only have some people's word for it, which is just not good enough in science.

"Some people's word for it" are your fellow peers at NASA.

Eagleworks is also going to have 3 independent teams do their own experiments.

Mad Max

Here's the best summary I've seen. http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

So even if we discount SPR's testing (since it was done by Shawyer), there are two other labs (Eagleworks and Prof Yang in China) that have shown similar results. Eagleworks are the only ones to test in a hard vacuum so far, and they will supposedly be testing a higher powered magnetron EM Drive later this year. I believe Eagleworks is also planning to have 3 independent research teams do their own testing.

Edit: Here's the paper published by Yang

http://www.emdrive.com/yang-juan-paper-2012.pdf

That paper reads like something written by a first year student instead of someone who knows their stuff. Which is probably why it hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the physics community.

As for eagleworks: I'm sure they'll do a better job, but I'd be very careful about taking anything from preliminary results. Things may change before they are actually done with their testing.

But anyway: If this does actually work I'll be very excited, because the number of possible applications would be enormous. It really would change everything, which is also the reason why I remain sceptical.

"Some people's word for it" are your fellow peers at NASA

Well I'm not ready to throw scientific principles out of the window, just because they are associated with NASA. :p

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What about the British guy who actually invented it and nobody believed for over a decade?

Up to 3 people can share a nobel prize.

The reality is that people in physics come up with ideas all the time, but nobody really knows if they are correct until experiments are done. Both parts are equally important.

aliengmr

As for eagleworks: I'm sure they'll do a better job, but I'd be very careful about taking anything from preliminary results. Things may change before they are actually done with their testing.

Well, the excitement, for me at least, has more to do with it not being disproved and moving on for further testing. Yea, it may never be a reality, be we can hope.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Americans like stealing British inventions. Just ask John Logie Baird.

Nafai1123

Banned
That paper reads like something written by a first year student instead of someone who knows their stuff. Which is probably why it hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the physics community.

But anyway: If this does actually work I'll be very excited, because the number of possible applications would be enormous. It really would change everything, which is also the reason why I remain sceptical.

Skepticism is the correct response, I'm just excited because I've been following it since Eagleworks made their first presentation on it last year and it still hasn't been disproven. If it turns out to be bogus then I'll be disappointed, but whatever. Disappointment is a part of life, as is excitement :)

It's their version of the drive. The original variant by the creator is called the Cannae Drive.

This is also potentially the beginning of what can be a new space race. There are 3 nations at the forefront of this technology, US, UK and China.

no..i thought nasa is testing Shawyer variant and not Fetta's variant?

Tawpgun

I have questions.

So basically all I know is it uses electricity to generate thrust and no one knows why.

Is this thrust more powerful or is it just that there is no fuel requires that makes it awesome.

And what's the deal with the warp field stuff

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is there a reason this wouldn't be harnessed for regular electricity generation? If you have something that can propel any object like this with no energy expenditure, it's reasonable it would work to power a generator right?

Is there a reason this wouldn't be harnessed for regular electricity generation? If you have something that can propel any object like this with no energy expenditure, it's reasonable it would work to power a generator right?

This engine does use energy, it just doesn't use fuel.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have questions.

So basically all I know is it uses electricity to generate thrust and no one knows why.

Is this thrust more powerful or is it just that there is no fuel requires that makes it awesome.

It requires energy, but providing that in space long-term is a problem we solved ages ago.

Meanwhile, running a constant burn with a rocket for years presents obvious fuel capacity problems.

Advent1s

Banned
Its kinda basic Quantum physics tbh (light does indeed induce momentum), warp drive was just overhype and bad reporting.

Buzzman

Banned
wait, is this the same one that was like, a warp drive or something, or what?

That was a random guess by someone working on the EM drive about some weird measurements, extremely likely that it is something else.

If this thing worked at even a fraction of the speed of light in it's current state it would still be a revolutionary enough discovery.

But yeah...I still have my doubts about this whole thing, I guess there's a reason why NASA isn't saying anything publicly.

SkyOdin

I have questions.

The important part is that it doesn't require fuel, since so far, the produced thrust is still very low. To highlight the important of fuel, let's consider the MESSENGER probe that crashed into Mercury yesterday. When it was launched, half the weight of the craft consisted of fuel. In order to conserve that fuel, it had to take a long course through the solar system: launching in 2004, making its first flyby of Mercury in 2008, and finally settling in orbit in 2011. Thus, it took 7 years for it to reach Mercury primarily based on its initial launch and a series of fuel-saving orbital transfers. Then, it had enough fuel to last for 1 year in orbit, which was amazingly extended to 4 years thanks to some ingenuity from the NASA team running the project. It was forced to crash into the planet, ending its mission permanently, purely because it ran out of fuel.

If it was equipped with an EM drive, that probe would have not only been able to dedicate more of its mass to sensors and computers, but it could also arrived much more quickly thanks to a more direct route. Most importantly, it could have stayed in operation almost indefinitely, or at least until its parts began to deteriorate, which probably would take decades or longer.

So, not needing to conserve fuel is a massive game-changer for every single mission NASA will ever carry out. A practical EM engine would transform space exploration overnight.

Its kinda basic Quantum physics tbh (light does indeed induce momentum), warp drive was just overhype and bad reporting.

It's not basic quantum physics, it seems to be rather more complex than that (otherwise it wouldn't be so contentious and there wouldn't be so much skepticism from the scientific community). And the "warp" effects that have been mentioned seem to be stemming from something else entirely, or at least isn't part of the claims that were originally made about the device.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That was a random guess by someone working on the EM drive about some weird measurements, extremely likely that it is something else.

If this thing worked at even a fraction of the speed of light in it's current state it would still be a revolutionary enough discovery.

But yeah...I still have my doubts about this whole thing, I guess there's a reason why NASA isn't saying anything publicly.

Shame?
Cognitive dissonance?

cheezcake

The point is it (seemingly) violates the law of conservation of momentum, the photons are entirely enclosed in the waveguide and hence should produce a net 0 force. What you're thinking of are basic light sails, a century old idea now.

I would love to hear about these basic Quantum physics that physicist haven't figured out.
Don't physicists know about quantum entanglement, but don't know exactly why it works? (or about its implications on how space works or something)

I forget if it was that or something else, but it was proven to be true and there wasn't one accepted theory for WHY it was true (or at least the show I watched left that out,but it seemed pretty new so I would imagine they'd have said if there was a widely accepted theory).

Niks

Hopefully thats the case. Quick, someone the the US congress China will be first to land on mars.

Look where we were 500 years ago. where will we be 500 years from now?

image.php

I'm on to you sir. Don't try any funny business.

BizzyBum

That's the thinking that annoys me. Imagine how much progress we could make if we worked together instead of treating it like a longest dick contest between nations.

DarkKyo

That's the thinking that annoys me. Imagine how much progress we could make if we worked together instead of treating it like a longest dick contest.

You better believe they'll be attaching these drives to orbital weapons before they attach them to interstellar rockets.

You better believe they'll be attaching these drives to orbital weapons before they attach them to interstellar rockets.

If they work they'll likely be attached to pretty much anything in space (and depending on the efficiency, likely on earth as well). This kind of device doesn't seem like it'd be very useful to create weaponry.

Vagabundo

I've been having a little think about the ship design using the EM drive.

Since you dont need the engines at the back of the ship, the centre of the ship would probably make most sense, for maintenance reasons. Microwaves are pretty easy to shield out.

You would probably have banks of smaller EM drives in parallel rather than a big giant one - this is a big maybe. You would also have some smaller EM racks at the front and back of the ship for maneuvering. The main engine would be pointed down into the floor. That way all the thrust generated would allow us to survive longer in space with a form of "gravity".

These ships would probably be built in orbit so they wouldn't have to be aerodynamic. The most efficient shape would be a cube; we like to live in box shaped rooms.

So something like this:
Welcome to our future folks....

Chittagong

Gold Member
The major implication of this, if true, is that we can send probes to everywhere we think there are habitable planets and get back images from their orbit. Some poor alien race will be freaked out to find our kit floating in their orbit. We probably should paint a smiley on them.

Zukuu

Banned
Does it has earthly applications as well? Very intrigued by the engine. Laws of physics might need some adjustment.

DieH@rd

Banned
Isn't this,

Just a sciency way of saying "creating energy out of nothing"? Also, if this is really proven to be real, and not some transient phenomena that can never scale to practical applications, then the next step is giving NASA the Pentagon's budget lol.

It is energy from nothing, but it is not a new type of energy. We knew about it before, just nobody thought it can be harvested.

Quantum Vacuum is real. In the "empty space", virtual particles [quark and gluon field fluctuations] of very very very low energy state are created and destroyed all the time, so fast that they don't have time to interact with almost anything. The entire universe, all particles and radiation, all of that is made from fields that are fluctuating or that can be stretched by forces that act on large distances [gravity for example]. Everything is made from vibrations of those fields, and the lowest state of the field that creates particles is not resting at "zero state".
ChargeAPE5LQanimXs30small.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3xLuZNKhlY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state

In this drive however, short lived particles [quantum virtual plasma] are redirected to "flow" into certain direction while they are "alive", and some of them hit the specific wall of the engine. Because they hit that wall and not any other wall [they pop out from existence before they can do so], engine gets thrust.

That's the theory at least, there is still no concrete verified proof [but the engines do work :D].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom