• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Unreal 3 screens!

DSN2K

20040926054110_30big.jpg

20040926054110_3big.jpg

20040926054110_33big.jpg

stunning.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I love most of these screens, but does anyone have the images taken from an outdoor, field like environment? I remember not being so impressed by those, can't remember why though.

I wanna check if I was crazy or not.

element

Mama Smurf said:
I love most of these screens, but does anyone have the images taken from an outdoor, field like environment? I remember not being so impressed by those, can't remember why though.

I wanna check if I was crazy or not.
there were some scans a while of an open field. not sure where to find them now.

thorns

Banned
Yeah the building in the background kinda look like a poor copy paste job.. But the details on the character models are incredible.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I'm not familiar with the Unreal universe. But I thought that these games were multiplayer right? I mean, wasn't there just a release uf UT 2004?

Is there a single player to the Unreal games, and is it on the level of Doom 3 or Half Life?

SantaC

Eric-GCA said:
I'm not familiar with the Unreal universe. But I thought that these games were multiplayer right? I mean, wasn't there just a release uf UT 2004?

Is there a single player to the Unreal games, and is it on the level of Doom 3 or Half Life?

multiplayer = Unreal Tournament

single player = Unreal

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The building in the background is billboard object. Flat polygons with a texture map on them.

rs7k

Eric-GCA said:

Unreal started as a single-player title, and came out in early 1998. At the time, the graphics were jaw-dropping. To me, they still sorta are considering how old the game is.

I really liked Unreal, it was really immersive and it was quite a long game. That was fine for me, since the graphics were really good, and the graphics change quite a bit as you progress through the game, so I can honestly say I didn't get bored with the game. The Skaarj are amongst the best enemies I've ever had to face in video games. I haven't played Unreal 2 yet as I heard it's not a faithful sequel to the original.

The first Unreal and its expansion pack can be easily found anywhere, usually for only $10.

Redbeard

Banned
Buildings and models look amazing, but outdoors leaves a little to be desired. There doesn't seem to be any grass other than a few little plants and flowers here and there. Unless it's something that's added later on, Oblivion's engine seems even more advanced in that respect.

20040926054110_43big.jpg

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's the one I was after. Doesn't impress me in the slightest that screen. I want lush outdoor environments packed with details (whether that's trees or individual blades of grass or whatever I don't mind, just as long as it doesn't look empty), something we're already seeing in other PC games.

I'm sure this engine must be able to do those sorts of things though, it's probably just a design choice having it look like that screen.

element

Mama Smurf said:
That's the one I was after. Doesn't impress me in the slightest that screen. I want lush outdoor environments packed with details (whether that's trees or individual blades of grass or whatever I don't mind, just as long as it doesn't look empty), something we're already seeing in other PC games.
That is because that is an 'in-editor' shot. It should look like shit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They never made bad art look so good. (just kidding guys)

The leap from unreal 2 to 3 is fucking ridiculous. put side by side you could barely tell the difference between 1 and 2.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can't wait to read the announcment that the Duke Nukem Forever developers are switching from the Doom 3 engine to the Unreal 3 engine!

EGM92

After seeing these shots... and looking over some videos with a demo of the engine I can honestly say DOOM3 engine isn't worth the time to be developing with :D (And here come the flames...)

Are there any confirmed games using the engine that are in development?

element

Lyte Edge said:
Can't wait to read the announcment that the Duke Nukem Forever developers are switching from the Doom 3 engine to the Unreal 3 engine!
DNF has never used the Doom 3 engine :\ They have always been using Unreal Engine, but have modified it so much that they are really only using it for the tools.

Are there any confirmed games using the engine that are in development?
Only confirmed games are the one Epic is making and a BioWare game.

Ranger X

This engine seems like it can kick some serious ass. Our dreamed CG-like graphics generation of games is coming! Can't wait to play some platformer with Toy Story graphics.

olimario

Banned
When you get this photorealistic, art matters less and less.
The character on top looks amazing, though his previous incarnations look terrible artistically.

element

bobafett said:
Technically astounding, shame about the art.
I really don't see how art can be judged here at least on the character. The UE3 Malcom model and texture's are absolutly beautiful looking. Far better then we see today, and even close to CG quality work we see in games today.

I hate the 'it has bad art' excuse.

though his previous incarnations look terrible artistically.
For the time they were pretty freaking awesome. Go make a full body texture map with any detail in a 256x256 image. UE3 probably has 2048*2048 texture maps, and also has multi-textured layering, which the others version didn't on characters.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
olimario said:
When you get this photorealistic, art matters less and less.
The character on top looks amazing, though his previous incarnations look terrible artistically.

I couldnt disagree more. I think in the future, art direction and story will be more vital to set games apart from each other. How boring would it be if they all looked realistic? I'm looking forward to seeing next gen's cel-shaing and hopefully claymation (Pikmin 3). That being said, I think the character model looks great, but his legs need some work. I like the more heavy armored look in Unreal 2. Something about them is just too plain compaired to the rest of his body.

SKluck

Banned
The comparison shot is hokey. First, they used some shitty low resolution, probably 640x480. Second, U2 models do NOT look that bad on my system, probably using low detail as well. Very misleading. The jump is still insane, so I don't know WHY they chose to skew it like that.

I'll never understand face/model textures though, how the fuck do you essentially paint a 3d object on something thats smashed out flat?

FightyF

Banned
I agree...what kind of comparison is that? (I'll admit thought that it's my new wallpaper :))

If they bumped them all to the same resolution, it would make the difference in poly count a lot more obvious.

Arcticfox

Those shots look great. I do agree that the outdoor environment could use a little work though. I think the outdoor screens of The Elder Scrolls 3: Oblivion look better with a huge draw distance and tons of trees and grass. I wonder what engine that game uses?

element

The comparison shot is hokey. First, they used some shitty low resolution, probably 640x480. Second, U2 models do NOT look that bad on my system, probably using low detail as well.
that is because you are comparing to game, not engine. The first image is Malcolm from Unreal Engine 1, second is from Unreal Engine 2, and third from Unreal Engine 3. Now they are leaving off most of the last two years of development for games using Unreal Engine 2, which has changed alot.

Pretty much this is how characters looked at the beginning of each engine version.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
unreal tournament malcom

vs

unreal tournament 2003 malcom

vs

unreal engine 3 representation of malcom

Top Bottom