• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City on pace to set new yearly record for rat call complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Rats are incredibly smart and resilient.

Also being urban helps them. No other animal predators--no raccoons, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, etc.

My calls are probably from suburban white women moving there because of Sex in the City. NYC isn't like it is in the rom coms. That is actually Toronto.

Jarrod38

rat-milk-dairy-farm.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
One of the multitude of reasons why I left NYC for an entirely different state. It's just beyond filthy. When you run rats over with your car, you know shit is fucked.

beasty

When I was a child, my family lived in a Brooklyn apartment that was infested with mice. They would crawl onto your bed as you slept to "snuggle". Underneath my bed would sound like a party. Those experiences made me a little weird. I currently live in a home that doesn't have any mice but I always lay down fresh traps and check for holes just to feel comfortable.

Breakage

When I was a child, my family lived in a Brooklyn apartment that was infested with mice. They would crawl onto your bed as you slept to "snuggle". Underneath my bed would sound like a party. Those experiences made me a little weird. I currently live in a home that doesn't have any mice but I always lay down fresh traps and check for holes just to feel comfortable.

Damn, that's fucked up.

Can't we repurpose some of these military drones, put paintball turrets on them and let em lose in the sewer system to wipe out the rats?

Hell no. Why was I thinking of moving to NYC again?

Having visited my sister in New York I have a potential idea, like, oh, I don't know USING TRASH CONTAINERS instead of HAVING GIANT PILES OF UNCONTAINED TRASH BAGS EVERYWHERE?

My thoughts exactly. Not only are the piles of trash unsanitary, but it is just damn unsightly. Someone mentioned unions... what the heck do unions have to do with this? Also, does no trash receptacles mean no recycling? Or do they have one of those let-other-people-sort-it-out policies?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My favorite thing about New Yorkers is they can defend how dirty the place is under the guise of keeping it real. Well, that and the exaggeration of how good the average pizza is.

Stinkles

Wee sleekit cowrin' timrous beasty oh whit a panic's in thy breasty.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Mouse

Yea its getting crazy out here with rats man, been here my whole life and Ive never seen it like this, walking around like squirrels now, its really bad.

Stinkles

As someone not from the US, whats the deal with the union work rules? Can someone explain how public health issues are hindered by them?

Not health. Bins can be picked up by trucks with claws. Bags need extra people. Protectionist. I'd almost support that were it not for, you know, bubonic plague...

Not health. Bins can be picked up by trucks with claws. Bags need extra people. Protectionist.

That is one of the more absurd things I've read. And what happens when the bag rips? Trash all over the place? No wonder there's such a rat problem. I'm all for unions, but not for protectionism at the expense of the public good/health.

p.s. someone mentioned no hawks because they can't deal with pollution – there's plenty of hawks in the much-more polluted Los Angeles.

Retsudo

Not health. Bins can be picked up by trucks with claws. Bags need extra people. Protectionist. I'd almost support that were it not for, you know, bubonic plague...

Ah ok, thanks for the info! Still, someone better throw money at the problem, otherwise you are all gonna be eaten by mutant rats in the near future.

Bears will freeze to death in winter.

uh...no?

Rats are incredibly smart and resilient.

Also being urban helps them. No other animal predators--no raccoons, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, etc.

there are Raccoons in the city but I guess not enough. There are hawks too but NIMBY's and idiots threaten them.

That is one of the more absurd things I've read. And what happens when the bag rips? Trash all over the place? No wonder there's such a rat problem. I'm all for unions, but not for protectionism at the expense of the public good/health.

p.s. someone mentioned no hawks because they can't deal with pollution – there's plenty of hawks in the much-more polluted Los Angeles.

picture this : the bag rips and rotten, smelly food, sludge? (best guess) mixed with sewage and god knows what else mix with grease and rain and snow and dirt and pollution to form this gel or liquid that gets smeared (and looks like orange coleslaw) all over the sidewalk day after day after day until it becomes part of the sidewalk and you just get used to it after a while and the rent keeps going up and rich assholes take your job and you're expected to take it.

Lulubop

Yea its getting crazy out here with rats man, been here my whole life and Ive never seen it like this, walking around like squirrels now, its really bad.

Yea, same.

My block was pretty bad earlier in the year, but I think the ferals around help weed em away.

Stinkles

Don't forget the unions can call a garbage strike, cripple the city and almost instantly destroy a mayor. Rock and a hard place.

Zabka

http://urbanhawks.blogs.com/

We got some hawks. Some real ass hawks. Spoilered due to Pale Male wrecking a rat.

6a00d83451c30169e201bb08804b4b970d-pi

My girlfriend and I lived in New York for a year, and the rats were a big part of what made us want to live. That shit is out of control. I remember being at a certain station in the Flatiron and seeing 20+ running around on the platform while waiting for a train. Fuck that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My favorite thing about New Yorkers is they can defend how dirty the place is under the guise of keeping it real. Well, that and the exaggeration of how good the average pizza is.

It's pretty fucking sad. I have friends and family that do this. And I'm just like "stop...you live in a shit hole."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom