• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next BioShock development "ramping up"

Draugoth

Gold Member
BioshockIsolationConcept.jpg

More than a decade on from the release of BioShock Infinite, the team working on a successor is now "ramping up".

That's according to senior cinematic designer Jeff Spoonhower, who took to LinkedIn to highlight more than 30 positions now open at 2K Cloud Chamber, the Montreal-based studio tasked with crafting a fresh entry in the beloved BioShock series.

Work to continue the BioShock series has been ongoing over the past 10 years, though has stopped and started at a selection of development studios.

Source

rm082e

I'm one of the weirdos who like Bioshock 2 just as much as the original. I thought Infinite was beautiful, and totally boring. I really only liked the Burial at Sea DLC from that one.

I still love these type of games. Given I enjoyed Bioshock 2 (and it's fantastic DLC) as much as I did, I really hope they can make a good game. I'll be very open-minded if/when it eventually releases.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I kinda don't want another one. I got what I wanted from the series. Do franchises really need to be trotted out endlessly (other than because 2K needs a hit and all that)?

rm082e

So what’s better?
A Bioshock game called Bioshock 4 made by people who didn’t make Bioshock, OR, a new IP made by Ken Levine, the guy who made and is the reason we have Bioshock?

Which did you like better: Bioshock 2, or Bioshock Infinite? That's about the only yardstick we can use at this point.

I'm hopeful for both games, but I'll also be surprised if they're both good successors to the previous Bioshock games.

rm082e

I kinda don't want another one. I got what I wanted from the series. Do franchises really need to be trotted out endlessly (other than because 2K needs a hit and all that)?

I want more of these type of games. I loved Dishonored and Prey, but we're not getting anymore of those (thanks Microsoft!). If it needs to be in a Bioshock skin, or have Ken Levine's name attached to it to get the green light, I'd rather have that than not get anymore of these games.

Mortisfacio

Which did you like better: Bioshock 2, or Bioshock Infinite? That's about the only yardstick we can use at this point.

I'm hopeful for both games, but I'll also be surprised if they're both good successors to the previous Bioshock games.

I personally enjoyed Infinite more than 2. 1 > Infinite > 2, for me. Burial at Sea being a nice closer to it all.

I'll keep tabs on Bioshock 4, but I have higher expectations for JUDAS. This is all assuming Ken Levine still "has it" and isn't just an industry name to milk money out due to success from over a decade ago.

rm082e

I personally enjoyed Infinite more than 2. 1 > Infinite > 2, for me. Burial at Sea being a nice closer to it all.

I'll keep tabs on Bioshock 4, but I have higher expectations for JUDAS. This is all assuming Ken Levine still "has it" and isn't just an industry name to milk money out due to success from over a decade ago.

Yep. I think this is how most people are feeling.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I want more of these type of games. I loved Dishonored and Prey, but we're not getting anymore of those (thanks Microsoft!). If it needs to be in a Bioshock skin, or have Ken Levine's name attached to it to get the green light, I'd rather have that than not get anymore of these games.

More of this type of game? Absolutely. Though I'd like to see future games in the subgenre go more System Shock than Bioshock, personally.

Eiknarf

Banned

I prefer Bioshock Infinite more now.
The reason? You may not have noticed but Infinite has this cool “The Shining-esq” type score and sounds throughout. It’s awesome!

Pardon my ignorance but can I ask why you asked that? I’m guessing the team behind Judas made one and the team behind Bioshock 4 made the other?

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I'll never understand why Ken Levine shut down Irrational just so he could go and make a Bioshock like game for 2K anyways.

rm082e

Can I ask why you asked that? I’m guessing the team behind Judas made one and the team behind Bioshock 4 made the other?

No, 2K Marin did Bioshock 2 and were eventually shut down years later. When Ken Levine formed Ghost Story, he had a really small group of people go with him from Irrational, so there are very few people from either developer who have a long history with previous Bioshock games.

I ask that because I remember there were a lot of people back in 2010 who just dismissed and never played Bioshock 2 because it wasn't developed by Irrational. I personally thought that was silly because a good game is a good game - it shouldn't matter if some famous person's name is attached to it or not.

Ultimately, we are in "wait and see" mode on both of these until launch. I remember a lot of people being really excited about Infinite right up until it launched, then they found the game boring when they played through it. The same thing could happen with one or both of these games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Based out of Montreal and Shawn Elliott's (GFW Radio) LinkedIn profile says he's still living in north Cali and is still directing.

So what does he mostly do his directing through Zoom calls?

Wow I feel so confident about this already

Red5

Actually. That's a good point. Who owns System Shock nowadays? Night Dive?

Tencent owns the right to publish SS3 while NDS owns the IP, but according to Warren Spector when Tencent got the SS3 publishing rights they shelved the project.

So what’s better?
A Bioshock game (called ‘Bioshock 4’) made by people who didn’t make Bioshock, OR, a new IP (called JUDAS), made by Ken Levine, the guy who made and is the reason we have Bioshock?

There's no reason why both can't be great, Ken Levine isn't the only person who knows how to make immersive sims.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Tencent owns the right to publish SS3 while NDS owns the IP, but according to Warren Spector when Tencent got the SS3 publishing rights they shelved the project.

There's no reason why both can't be great, Ken Levine isn't the only person who knows how to make immersive sims.
Interesting.
Thanks

So is it safe to say its kinda like the Dead Space Remake and The Callisto Protocol? The guy who made the original Dead Space went on to make The Callisto Protocol while the Dead Space Remake was made by another team?

OMG it's gonna be years. LOL. I can't believe how long it takes for games to ramp up now. Ridiculous. When was the last one? 11 years ago? Ridiculous how long it's taken for this to happen.

Hudo

Well, better than them turning it into a Gacha game...

Dancer_BV

Bioshock was one of my childhood games. News about a new one makes me incredibly excited, even if I'm not expecting it to match the quality of the originals.

SHA

Infinite was my last authentic next generation story driven blockbuster aaa game, the rest are garbage with noticeable compromises and that's the norm for story campaigns since then unfortunately.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Jeez, modern game development, with at least the slightest of ambition, take forever these days. Like recruiting for this started in 2016 and production in 2018.

Development of Judas started in 2014 with full production in like 2016/2017.

Some dev hell going on here.

Kydd BlaZe

I'm just happy to have another immersive sim to play through, regardless if it's a BioShock title or otherwise. The world needs more immersive sims.

Wildebeest

So what’s better?
A Bioshock game (called ‘Bioshock 4’) made by people who didn’t make Bioshock, OR, a new IP (called JUDAS), made by Ken Levine, the guy who made and is the reason we have Bioshock?
A Bioshock inspired game made by Jonathan Blow in 2060 made on a game engine he made himself, made with a compiler he made himself, running on a computer he designed himself, powered by a different faster sort of electricity he made himself.

I would rather see them take it underground. The Arctic is so unimaginative.

Something akin to Journey to The Center of the Earth, with a fantastical steampunk cityscape.

• Massive machinery
  • Prehistoric creatures
  • Some carefully crafted ecocentric messaging

Steam Shock

Top Bottom