• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexuiz | Arena Shooter Revival | Xbox 360 Community

nexuiz_logo-600x250.jpg

nexuiz.com said:
Nexuiz is an Arena First Person shooter coming soon to consoles. Nexuiz is fast paced with extremely competitive game play. IllFonic brings Alientrap Software's Nexuiz to next-gen gaming consoles around the world while staying true to the game play refined over the years through development. IllFonic introduces a new Victorian influenced art style that is simultaneously futuristic and sophisticated. Nexuiz for consoles is powered by CryENGINE 3.

The game launches February 29 on Xbox Live.

Reviews:
IGN 8/10
UGO B+
Official Xbox Magazine 7.5/10
Destructoid 4/10

Videos:
Nexuiz Exclusive Launch Trailer
Nexuiz Dynamic Mutator Gameplay Trailer
Nexuiz Mutators 1 - Jet Packs!
Nexuiz Mutators 2 - Super Guns!

Xbox 360 gamertags:
drifter444

nexuiz_5_605x.jpg

nexuiz_3_605x.jpg

nexuiz_2_605x.jpg

Looks like UT2004 without the IP.

Also seems like the graphics were nerfed a bit from early vids and some of the gun models I dont like (that needlenose looking thing, bleh)

Still if you like arena shooters theres not many anymore. I'm tempted to try it out just to relive my UT2004 days.

This sounds like a game that would benefit from a robust suite of options for bot matches; unfortunetly it does not sound like this is the case. I'm to understand you can't even play online with a friend against bots. Very disappointing.

I think XBLA MP games would do well to implement more bot options so theres still fun to be had if/when the various communities fall apart. Not to mention I'm a sucker for a good bot match.

aku:jiki

Destructoid's review is pretty much dead on after playing a couple matches.
What part of it? The actual text is just a typical bullshit "PC master race" tirade about how this game shouldn't even be released for consoles. He even contradicts himself multiple times. Horrid review.

I'm liking the game except for the fact that it took about 5 minutes for people to fall into old habits and start camping the shit out of the rocket launcher spawn... And this, Nexuiz devs, is why this genre died, because that strategy is boring as fuck.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So they changed from Quake engine to CryTek?

Since the Quake engine is open source and the team released it for free, to release it on consoles/sell it the people that bought it had to change the engine, yes. They couldn't use the old Nexuiz code.

Xater

Just set the download off for the trail on Xbox.com, how is it fellas?

Played it for 5 minutes and I never want to touch it again. Feels awful on a console and it also doesn't really look good. I'd rather play Nexuiz on the PC or Quake Live.

My first couple of games felt fine, but since then it's been a laggy clusterfuck with people rage quitting left and right. I guess I was the laggy one in those first games, but now everybody's instakilling me constantly. :(

Also, the shotgun is ridiculous for a starting weapon. It's got such good damage, rate of fire and so on that there's no point in picking anything else up.

Is this supposed to be an OT or a 360 community thread?

Also: Tried the demo, can't really get a good feel for it on a pad, but it could be awesome. I'm curious as to how many parameters are open as cvars, because I feel like the competitive community might want to change a few things.

rezuth

Since the Quake engine is open source and the team released it for free, to release it on consoles/sell it the people that bought it had to change the engine, yes. They couldn't use the old Nexuiz code.

Why couldn't they? I thought ID still handed out licenses if you wanted to make your product commercial.

Zeliard

What part of it? The actual text is just a typical bullshit "PC master race" tirade about how this game shouldn't even be released for consoles. He even contradicts himself multiple times. Horrid review.

I'm liking the game except for the fact that it took about 5 minutes for people to fall into old habits and start camping the shit out of the rocket launcher spawn... And this, Nexuiz devs, is why this genre died, because that strategy is boring as fuck.

Are you playing FFA? It's generally by its nature mindless and hectic, but camping a single weapon shouldn't typically be the ideal strategy if the level is designed properly.

And the genre certainly didn't die because of that. When done right, you're supposed to be constantly moving and running the map, not sit in one spot. The closest to that would be waiting for a respawn or playing a team game and governing a certain section of the map.

But with FFA all the rules sort of go out of the window. Outside of some crazy high-pinged times on MPlayer with Quake 1 back in the day, FFAs have never really done it for me. :p

iBuzz7S

Banned
I just downloaded the trial and it can't seem to connect to the servers or go past the title screen.
Weird. You should be able to play the bots regardless of server issue. Dashboard and go back. I had to do it a few times but I got it working.

Man... This game is fun when you're actually playing, but there are so many glitches to get to that point! Parties are busted, matchmaking is busted, host migration is busted, stat-saving is busted... Everything is! Just had the game freeze on me out of the blue, came back into it and all my stats were wiped. God damn it.

Whatever happened to Microsoft's infamously strict certification process? I mean, how do they miss that it's barely possible to get a match going in this shit?

Edit: Wow... Me and some friends have been trying to get into the same match and play together for like an hour. We finally get something going and the fucking thing freezes the whole Xbox like 2 seconds into the match. Come on!

iBuzz7S

Banned
Man... This game is fun when you're actually playing, but there are so many glitches to get to that point! Parties are busted, matchmaking is busted, host migration is busted, stat-saving is busted... Everything is! Just had the game freeze on me out of the blue, came back into it and all my stats were wiped. God damn it.

Whatever happened to Microsoft's infamously strict certification process? I mean, how do they miss that it's barely possible to get a match going in this shit?
Ditto. I lost stats. I have contacted THQ and the developers via Twitter, hoping to get a response.

As for the certification... LOL! Since when wasn't money a first priority? Plus, the games are on a strict schedule, as they are apart of the house party crap. If they missed it, it would of ruined their marketing, but of course, they like to put themselves first.

Hoping for a fix. The game is playable, but you need to restart a few times for it to work.

Do you have to rank up to get access to new gear or is it all available from the start?
The only thing is what iBuzz mentioned... You can collect points and spend them in a "mutator shop." You can spend points to increase the odds of getting a certain mutator; the mutators are pickups you find in levels and then you get a random one of the like 100+ they have. If you spend points, you can make a certain one appear more often. Uh, kinda hard to explain. :p

The boring part is that it takes an INSANE amount of points to even raise the probability by 5%.

Can't believe bot matches are locked out of the trial version. WTF. Also I can't get into an online game so I have LITERALLY NO WAY TO DECIDE IF I WANT TO BUY THIS GAME OR NOT.

gg THQ, if you can't be bothered to put together a halfway decent demo I can't be bothered to give you my money.

Can't believe bot matches are locked out of the trial version. WTF. Also I can't get into an online game so I have LITERALLY NO WAY TO DECIDE IF I WANT TO BUY THIS GAME OR NOT.

gg THQ, if you can't be bothered to put together a halfway decent demo I can't be bothered to give you my money.
The full version is behaving exactly the same right now, so you are getting a demo that represents the product.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ah. The game that's keeping me from buying all the games for the House Party discount.

Why give me back 800 points if I had to spend them on a game I didn't want in the first place to get 'em? Feh.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I played this game quite a bit over the weekend. The Destructoid review didn't match my experience with the game at all. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, (probably 3 or so hours in,) but when it clicked, it was a really fun experience.

Give the game a chance and you'll have some fun with it. Some of the mutators are out and out nuts.

Why give me back 800 points if I had to spend them on a game I didn't want in the first place to get 'em? Feh.
Somebody in my party pointed out that the 800 MSP is probably because MS knows this game is an unplayable POS and the points are basically a refund for forcing you to buy it. Like MS signed a contract with someone and now they have to publish this junk.

He was joking but after 5+ hours with this game, I believe it.

iBuzz7S

Banned
Anyone still having trouble staying online or even getting the game to work at all? It locked up my console twice.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Really like the game, but the technical issues and lack of players are keeping me from buying it. Took ten minutes to get a 4 player game earlier.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not Halo or CoD? Good fucking luck keeping a community on the 360 for more than a month.

VariantX

Tried the demo, played a few rounds, game froze my xbox while migrating hosts. Also, it takes what seems like forever to get to the next match. What little I did get to play, I did like.

Top Bottom