• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexuiz | Arena Shooter Revival | Xbox 360 Community

Quake Arena Arcade on 360, even with it's couple of issues, simply shats all over this game.
Quake - 60fps, 40+ maps, interesting characters, gametypes other than CTF.
Nexuiz - 30fps (and less), 9 maps, generic robot characters.

The mutators are the only thing cool about this game.
It'd just as soon play Unreal Championship 3 than this.

Dammit, I should have at least tried to get a demo game going before I bought it without playing it. 800 points down the drain. &%#$*!!

Quake sadly had some ridiculously bad networking issues. Which killed it outright. But i agree it's better. The graphics are just too much for this kinda game.

iBuzz7S

Banned
I tried to play again and wow, another locked-up console. Disappointed, as I was working on an achievement guide for the game.

Guess that will be delayed for a little while.

It's decent, but then again, I got it for free. I got all the same problems too, froze my 360 and I waited 30+ mins for a match.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Erhm.... pardon my ass but since when was this canceled as a pc game? I have extremely vivid recollection that this was being made for pc with the cryengine.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Erhm.... pardon my ass but since when was this canceled as a pc game? I have extremely vivid recollection that this was being made for pc with the cryengine.

it's not cancelled.

it's also a PS3 game.

aku:jiki

They've put in a ton of work on the game in the last 24 hours. The server is now behaving properly and, unlike yesterday, the majority of the matches actually complete instead of constantly failing and crashing.

It's good that they're being fast and diligent, but at the same time... They didn't even run an internal stress test for the server before they rushed the game out? Come on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
They didn't even run an internal stress test for the server before they rushed the game out? Come on.

internal stress test for an indie game? friends, beta testers, relatives - GO!

big games have open betas which usually suck at the beginning too. Indie games can't afford this kind of luxury.

internal stress test for an indie game? friends, beta testers, relatives - GO!

big games have open betas which usually suck at the beginning too. Indie games can't afford this kind of luxury.
That's what I'm talking about, seriously. How did they not even get some friends in for a quick night of testing and pizza?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
My free trial ran out, tempted to buy this. For people who own it, does the community seem good? Also, are there any arena shooters on the 360 with active communities?

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I DLed the demo and couldn't get into a game at all. I will try again in a few days but if a game can't even get me into a game then I have little faith it has the solid quality netcode necessary for a quick arena shooter.

As more and more games show up on XBLA, the competition gets tougher and tougher. This game has to go up against Quake Live and Gotham City Impostors in the twitch shooter arena and if Nexuiz stumbles so badly on matchmaking compared to the competition then it barely has a chance of gaining much of a community against the classic arena shooter or a fresh take on arena shooting with a healthy community.

I DLed the demo and couldn't get into a game at all. I will try again in a few days but if a game can't even get me into a game then I have little faith it has the solid quality netcode necessary for a quick arena shooter.

As more and more games show up on XBLA, the competition gets tougher and tougher. This game has to go up against Quake Live and Gotham City Impostors in the twitch shooter arena and if Nexuiz stumbles so badly on matchmaking compared to the competition then it barely has a chance of gaining much of a community against the classic arena shooter or a fresh take on arena shooting with a healthy community.
The netcode is mostly fine. I'm normally extremely sensitive to lag but this game doesn't piss me off in that way very often.

Not sure what you mean with the second half of your post. Gotham is an extremely obvious "CoD with even goofier perks than CoD itself" clone. Quake is famously busted, codewise. The only other arena FPS on XBLA that I can think of is CellFactor, which actually isn't bad, but has been dead for years. All the other FPS'es on XBLA are CoD clones. I'd say Nexuiz stands tall as being fairly unique on the marketplace.

Can someone lay out all the bot match options for me (since the knuckleheads that made the demo locked it out)? Specifically I would like to know if you can set the time and/or score limits, how many bots per team, bot skill level, and any other options available. Thanks. I am interested in this game for bot play, but I don't want to go in blind.

KageMaru

I played and enjoyed the demo. True it's rather generic, lacking character, but the gameplay is more than solid and it's fun.

I would get it, but I don't see the game having an active community for very long.

Can someone lay out all the bot match options for me (since the knuckleheads that made the demo locked it out)? Specifically I would like to know if you can set the time and/or score limits, how many bots per team, bot skill level, and any other options available. Thanks. I am interested in this game for bot play, but I don't want to go in blind.

All of the options you mentioned are in the full game plus allowing mutators in matches and stage select. The game is still good for offline bot play.

"DOA, I think. Should have been released simultaneously. But we'll see."

I don't really think that's an issue. I think it's safe to say a majority of people who'd be interested in an Arena shooter didn't flock to picking it up on XBLA just because it was out first. A bigger issue is that they've not really done a whole lot for public awareness.

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah game is dead on PC. The whole time it was available for pre-purchase i never once saw it in the top 20 sales.

Also the beta briefly made it in the top 100 concurrent users at one stage (towards the bottom). Also now that the game is released it still isn't in the bestsellers list or top 100. Meaning there is less than 227 people playing the game.

BOMBA. Lucky i didn't purchase.

It has been released?

The whole beta seemed more like an alpha to me, it stuttered like hell on high settings (at least on my PC). It just seemed like the game needed more time.

The Gameplay was good, if you love arena-shooters, but there seems to be no marketing at all. Kinda sad to see :(

Z_Y

So this is 200msp this week. Thought about picking it up. Played one game before bed last night and it was ok. Jumped backed in this morning and can't even get by the "push start" screen. Just hangs. Eventually I get a Nexuiz service is not available message. Is this a common thing? I can't even goof off in a bot match? The hell.

Computron

They were having server issues on that day. It doesn't happen too often recently but people don't seem to be filling up the servers anymore.

It's a shame, I am really enjoying this game.

Vertigo CTF is tha bomb:

ibf4myy7Zepfvs.gif

Its really such a shame and I am kinda sad for the developers.
It plays like a good arena-shooter, but it seems... people dont play it much.

That really makes me wonder. What happened? Back in the days UT, Q3A and even the Rune-Game, that was similar to an Arenashooter, were so popular. Besides CS this was the only Egoshootergenre you would need.

Nowadays its all about prestige, levels, Killstreaks to get some superweapon or whatever.

I am so sad that people dont appreciate this Game. If you liked Arenashooters back in the day, this is a good game.
I guess Shootmania will suffer the same fate sooner or later :(

But maybe also the marketing sucked. I didnt even know it was out and never saw much of the Game on major PC-sites or mags :(

What happened???

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What happened???

-Took forever to port from PC
-360 only
-360 server issues
-DD only
-No MS advertisments (AFAIK) on 360 dash
-Arena shooter on console that doesn't support Keyboard and Mouse like the base/revision-version it's basing itself on (IIRC)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I am so sad that people dont appreciate this Game. If you liked Arenashooters back in the day, this is a good game.
I guess Shootmania will suffer the same fate sooner or later :(

I don't know I hear a lot of people are having a fine time with Blacklight, Tribes Ascend, etc. etc. Looks like the arena shooter as console DD title is a broken model. I don't think Section 8 caught fire either. Neither did Gotham City: Imposters.

It seems like free-to-play might be the way to break in for little guys, or it could just be the unique games I mentioned as successes were just better, regardless of model. I'm guessing the former. Console DD is niche to start with, then you sub-niche that... there's no critical mass of players.

Shoot-mania will fail for other, entirely French reasons, however.

But maybe also the marketing sucked. I didnt even know it was out and never saw much of the Game on major PC-sites or mags :(

I honestly think a lot of these small developers should take one or two of their creative people, take them off of textures and what-have-you, and make them the marketing guy.

All the good talent in this industry wants to make the games. No one wants to market. Lots of games are getting totally undersold, and not finding their market. Rinse. Repeat. What's wrong with this picture?

Finding your audience is part-and-parcel of creative work. Marketing deserves way more respect, and to be populated by creative people who care about games....

...except all of them would rather make games. The work is left undone.

Oh. This is the 360-thread.

I was talking about the PC-Version of the Game. And I think it really is a good Arena-Shooter.

Blacklight isnt really an Arenashooter, but more or less plays like a faster CoD-MP-Title.
And Tribes also doesnt play like an Oldschool-Arenashooter imo. The maps are far too big for it and the skiing is different than rocketjumps, strafejumps etc.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Fair enough. TO be honest, when I'm in the mood for an old-school arena shooter. I play Quake 3 Live. Once again, the free-to-play model. I dunno, man. I'm not a good barometer. I mostly play single-player story-based stuff.

Top Bottom