• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

eznark said:
The best thing about the old refs is that while they fucked up all the time, they had been doing it long enough that they were able to fool us into thinking they didn't and they did it incredibly fast and without hesitation.
This is the biggest factor for me and I've been saying it for weeks. The delays and the way things just grind to an absolute halt while these guys decide what it is they want to call is what drives me looney. Bad calls will be made or missed but fuck...JUST MAKE IT and let the game continue.

I'm still laughing at folks claiming the refs were in the Packers pockets only for that last play to happen.:jnc

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
8BB21.png

Joint control blah blah blah judgement call blah blah blah we support our referees.

Tawpgun

Hopefully Pats O line can get its shit together, Defense will learn how to tackle, and they'll stop this edelman obsession and get the ball to Welker like he deserves.

Hopefully the refs will be on our side, but its all fucking luck regarding these guys anyway.

I hate to bring actual football talk into this thread but man, BJ Raji showed up last night. He played really well.

Yeah he actually looked quick. He busted up the middle a few times and forced Wilson to move. GB's D is going to be much improved if he is back to playing well.

Today is the anniversary of the Gleason punt block in the Dome reopening. Shit is so sad, he was always one of my favorite players well before that. He was a ST beast. ALS may be the fucking worse way to die. Apparently he is doing terribly and can't speak anymore. I'm glad he is involved in possibly the greatest play in Saints history.

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

squicken

This really is a problem. I was thinking they could have someone in the league office who they call like the NHL does, but what are the odds that anyone actually knows the rules. We have seen the scabs totally not know simple rules so far, and the NFL has some really archaic rules that even the real refs dont know. I am not sure how they can ever make sure stuff like last night never happens again.

What's funny is there are probably legions of dudes at sports bars who know the arcane rules. Look at last night and FMT bitching about a leverage call. Most of us know what that is, but probably never look for it in a game. And I'd wager that most of the refs from last night have no idea what a leverage penalty is

eznark

Banned
^He was wrong on that leverage call though. Seattle shot the gap without leverage. You are allowed to leap over the guy as long as you don't make contat with the snapper or launch off your own player.

YIHZb.jpg

Good on you Seattle media.

In a couple of Seattle stories I've seen some funny descriptions of the play. None say he caught a touchdown. A couple say he was "awarded a touchdown" and most say he pushed off like a bitch.

Bravo, Seattle journos!

^He was wrong on that leverage call though. Seattle shot the gap without leverage. You are allowed to leap over the guy as long as you don't make contat with the snapper or launch off your own player.

In a couple of Seattle stories I've seen some funny descriptions of the play. None say he caught a touchdown. A couple say he was "awarded a touchdown" and most say he pushed off like a bitch.

Bravo, Seattle journos!

You aren't allowed to touch the long snapper when you're in the air

What's funny is there are probably legions of dudes at sports bars who know the arcane rules. Look at last night and FMT bitching about a leverage call. Most of us know what that is, but probably never look for it in a game. And I'd wager that most of the refs from last night have no idea what a leverage penalty is

I think I follow football closely but I had no idea that for their to be simultaneous possession the possession has to be equal. It was clear last night that none of the refs on the field knew that either. The league has to hire a new position called it rule interpreter or whatever and make that persons job to be to memorize the rule book and explain the rules to the refs when shit like this happens.

nateeasy

Banned
Top 5 passer ratings through 3 weeks.

Matt Ryan 114
Ben Rothlisberger 109.2
Kevin Kolb 108.6
Andy Dalton 105
Christian Ponder 104.9

---
Other notables

Drew Brees 77
Mike Vick 66.2
Jay Cutler 58.6
Peyton Manning 85.6
Aaron Rodgers 86

Seanspeed

Banned
Hopefully Pats O line can get its shit together, Defense will learn how to tackle, and they'll stop this edelman obsession and get the ball to Welker like he deserves.

Hopefully the refs will be on our side, but its all fucking luck regarding these guys anyway.
Welker was back in full play on Sunday. 8 receptions and 142 yards compared to Edelman's 4 receptions and 28 yards. It was actually the TE's getting neglected this time out.

O line wasn't as bad either. Still needs work, but they were semi-effective on the ground and with the passing game they moved it down the field to the redzone 5 times.

They actually didn't play that bad. Some key penalties and a few other little mistakes was the difference between winning and losing. I'm actually encouraged after that Cardinals game.

squicken

I think I follow football closely but I had no idea that for their to be simultaneous possession the possession has to be equal. It was clear last night that none of the refs on the field knew that either. The league has to hire a new position called it rule interpreter or whatever and make that persons job to be to memorize the rule book and explain the rules to the refs when shit like this happens.

Yeah I also felt like I had a good grasp of all the small stuff, but had no idea that once the GB DB had established clear possession, even if he wasn't down yet, and was tied up by Tate, it should be GB ball. I thought it was GB ball b/c he was down by contact before Tate tied him up. It's such a small nuance

gutshot

Don't they already have that? I thought that was the guy in the NFL hat that is constantly talking to the refs.

Seda

@JasonLaCanfora

Ryan Grant working out for the Bears today. Matt Forte likely to be out at least through this week

:/

Levyne

Banned
I picked Jay Culter for my fantasy team. But he hasn't been delivering too much.

Switched him with Flacco y/n?

Without hesitation.

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

Trey

It's not a matter of simply knowing the calls. And no one cares about those incredibly situational rules until they get fucked by them.

Don't they already have that? I thought that was the guy in the NFL hat that is constantly talking to the refs.

The refs have been going to the sideline and talking to someone with the NFL but clearly that hasnt help. They need to get a guy and make knowing the rules his only job. Like if he messes up a single rule he is out type of thing.

Hammer24

Banned
Thx guys, and lol at the Brady remark.

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

bionic77

Top 5 passer ratings through 3 weeks.

Matt Ryan 114
Ben Rothlisberger 109.2
Kevin Kolb 108.6
Andy Dalton 105
Christian Ponder 104.9

---
Other notables

Drew Brees 77
Mike Vick 66.2
Jay Cutler 58.6
Peyton Manning 85.6
Aaron Rodgers 86
:lol Ben is the only one of them with a losing record.

Seattle fans is Carroll always that conservative on offense? Gameplan was super predictable. If they would have slanged it early on they would have needed the refs to do whatever the fuck it was they did in that game. I still think the Pats defense is susceptible to a good passing attack. And Wilson looked HORRIBLE against the blitz. Packers brought it so many times last night and he never seemed to know how to react. Even on that 4th down play which should have been an easy TD.

I am a little jelly over that. The Steelers can't tackle or play defense either, but when we start blitzing it seems to get worse!

Top Bottom