• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

I really think you need a shutdown corner to succeed in the playoffs. Cowboys are screwed :(

Not really. Outside of prime Darelle Revis, the idea of a shutdown corner is a bit silly. All these guys get burned, all of them have bad games. Sherman, Peterson, Haden, you name them. The offenses are too advanced in 2015 for one corner to consistently lock out his assignment on the game.

Overall defensive talent and scheme can hide subpar CBs and elevate good-great ones.

Sherman wouldn't be Sherman without Chancellor, Bennett, Thomas... (and yes, he'd still be good calm down Seahawks-GAF). And he fits brilliantly in their scheme because his presence on the field dictates what the offense will do. You get scared of throwing to his side of the field so you throw to the other side where Chancellor and Thomas fuck shit up.

RBH

On Friday's edition of the Around The NFL Podcast, NFL Media's Andrew Siciliano revealed that three former players separately raised unsolicited alarm about Peyton Manning's throws in the third preseason game.

NFL Media analyst Brian Baldinger broke down the game tape this week, noting that Manning couldn't get the ball down the field against the Texans and 49ers in recent weeks.

"When you watch some of these throws, you can't believe it could possibly be the same guy," Baldinger said. "... You just (wonder) is it the arm, is it the new offense, is he thinking too much, is that possible? ... those plays are lay-ups for Peyton Manning."

NFL Media's Albert Breer recently posed the following question to a panel of general managers, vice presidents, directors of player personnel and pro scouting directors: Who will be the top five quarterbacks in football by the end of the 2015 season?

Of the 28 decision-makers, 19 left Manning off their lists entirely. Only two voters placed him higher than fourth.

One AFC pro director who studied Manning last month said the 39-year-old's arm strength was "significantly diminished."

An NFC executive noted that Manning looked "immobile" and "flinches under pocket pressure."

Broncos general manager John Elway knows as well as anyone that an aging quarterback's body breaks down over the course of a grueling five-month season. It's telling that Elway reportedly asked Manning to accept a $10 million pay cut this past offseason, before the quarterback settled on a $4 million reduction.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells once surmised that quarterbacks approaching age 40 hesitate to pull the trigger because they want everything to be perfect before they throw the ball.

"They're torn between the turnover -- which they don't want to make because it's a killer -- and throwing the ball when the separation between the receiver and the defender isn't quite enough," Parcells explained. "They're not confident throwers like they were when they were younger."

The best NFL quarterbacks don't turn stale over time. The fall is sudden and steep.

Like a punchdrunk boxer who still sees openings but can no longer exploit the sucker for a left hook, broken-down signal-callers ultimately suffer from that split-second when they stop pulling the trigger on tough throws.

Manning might well be the most prepared, most astute pre-snap quarterback in NFL history. He has compensated for waning arm strength the past three years by translating opposing defenses before the snap, processing information in the pocket quicker than any quarterback and consistently squeezing accurate passes into small windows.

The available evidence from late last season and the past few weeks suggests those windows are closing quickly on one of pro football's most accomplished passers.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000528095/article/peyton-mannings-arm-strength-diminished

image.php

Gigglepoo

noting that Manning couldn't get the ball down the field against the Texans and 49ers in recent weeks.

I was posting that during the 49ers game. I've seen Manning play for more than two decades. He didn't look right in that 49ers game. Everything he threw was short and took forever to get there. The 49ers were just standing 10 yards from scrimmage and racing forward when a pass was thrown.

If he's not better, it's going to be a long season. He can still makes plays when it's a perfect route, but there's no room for YAC and no downfield threat.

Zeke

Elite pass rushers can hide middling secondary talent. Cowboys might actually be alright in that area.

Remember, one elite cornerback means very little if everyone else around him isn't great. It's easier to avoid one elite CB than elite pass rushers.
Spot on, don't freak out yet croc. Hardy, Crawford and Lawrence will hopefully be able to generate pressure up front. Hopefully once McClain comes back him and Lee can do some damage too. That being said our secondary is going to be pretty damn bad. I would have rather cut Mo and kept Jenkins.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I like this one more that came up right after the video you linked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhW6nSLSq6Y

Don't know if I ever asked Kave, but why the Browns? Seriously, it makes no damn sense. 32 teams to choose from and you pick the Browns....

You know the answer to this:

i

I know we joke but seriously Derek Anderson slangin' that one season is what brought me in.

From what I remember I know the Saints were in the discussion for me to follow but I didn't like Reggie Bush.

49ers were also an option but because of the different timezone I gave up on it quickly.

Texans were too young at the time for me to care.

Tom Penny

I was posting that during the 49ers game. I've seen Manning play for more than two decades. He didn't look right in that 49ers game. Everything he threw was short and took forever to get there. The 49ers were just standing 10 yards from scrimmage and racing forward when a pass was thrown.

If he's not better, it's going to be a long season. He can still makes plays when it's a perfect route, but there's no room for YAC and no downfield threat.

Basically since the Rams game last year teams played for the short pass and pick plays . My guess is teams will keep doing it until he burns them deep and can prove he still has it.

You know the answer to this:

i

I know we joke but seriously Derek Anderson slangin' that one season is what brought me in.

From what I remember I know the Saints were in the discussion for me to follow but I didn't like Reggie Bush.

49ers were also an option but because of the different timezone I gave up on it quickly.

Texans were too young at the time for me to care.

But Brent and Romo were also slangin that year. You could have been a Packers or Cowboys fan but you fell in love with the Cleveland Browns.

squicken

My heart goes out to Chelsea Browns fans on the state of their team

e:
Bowman is a lock for comeback player of the year, but this guy will be 2nd!

coukhq-uwaa7xkni1lii.jpg

Spot on, don't freak out yet croc. Hardy, Crawford and Lawrence will hopefully be able to generate pressure up front. Hopefully once McClain comes back him and Lee can do some damage too. That being said our secondary is going to be pretty damn bad. I would have rather cut Mo and kept Jenkins.

Considering how we couldn't generate any pass rush last season the secondary didn't do too bad. There's a chance they're not actually terrible.

Also Bradford needs to shave every day. Sorry bro but you can either grow facial hair or you can't.

Good afternoon friends, getting ready to prepare an afternoon snack for me and my buddy.

What do you guys think of my new apron!?

I just rewatched Breaking Bad recently, god the Pollos arc is god-tier TV.

Further details on Smith's deal with the Raiders:

Base: $1.25M
Roster-bonus: $250k per game on 53-man roster
Incentives: $1.375 for 8 sacks; $2.75 for 10
Max: $8M

RBH

So I'm looking through Yelp now trying to find a coffee shop to study at today when I came across this review:

KQTTb27.png

......this guy definitely posts on GAF

RBH

pi-nfl-cardinals-jen-welter-072815.vadapt.955.high.74.jpg

Dr. Jen Welter made history in July when she was hired by the Arizona Cardinals, becoming the first woman to be a full-time coach for an NFL team.

Breaking such a long-standing barrier served as necessary training for Welker, who has been under siege for her decision to accompany undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather to the ring Saturday for his welterweight title bout against Andre Berto.

Many have lined up to assail the decision by Welter, pointing to Mayweather's lengthy history of domestic violence toward women that included a two-month jail term in 2012. Welter, who holds a doctorate in psychology, bristles at the criticism while acknowledging she is the one "taking the punches" for her choice.

"This was a tough decision. I'm not going in liking his past," Welter said in an interview with 12 News in Arizona. "What I'm going is believing he can be somebody different in the future because if I slam the door on him . . . if I close that, if he reaches out to me and I say, 'No way, I'm not doing it,' who can he reach out to then?"

Welter, who was hired as an intern with the Cardinals to coach the team's inside linebackers, also dismissed the notion that Mayweather offered the invitation as a publicity stunt and is taking advantage of her presence.

"You can only be used if you allow yourself to be used, and I am not allowing Floyd Mayweather to use me," Welter said. "I think it's a beautiful thing that this dicussion surrounding this fight is highlighting the need to look at domestic violence in our country. And it's only doing that because people are mad I'm going to the fight."

Welter admitted she doesn't know if she can have any impact on Mayweather, but she is adamant about what the consequences would be if she declined the boxer's invitation.

"If I would have thrown that back in his face, and he had questions about women in the past, well, I certainly guarantee you he would not have any more respect for women," she said. "There's a lot of anger there. He has a tough past. His childhood was not pretty.

"If he doesn't channel that in the right direction, things are not going get better, they're only going to get worse. But if everybody just writes him off for his past, then are we ever giving anybody in this country a chance at redemption?"
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/floyd-mayweather-dr-jen-welter-fight-invitation-091115

Top Bottom