• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2016 |OT| Where One Gasmask Can Change a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Less not hot on him, more "He's asking to be paid and we aren't willing cause we got burned by Fitz"
That's fine. Draft some insurance at the position. Plenty of guys out there.
But they don't need to burn their 1st rounder on Hack. That would be lunacy.
Cardale Jones will still be out there on Friday.

Feels like a mistake if the Bills go for a "first day" (in the old sense) QB, Tyrod is pretty good. Will never be an elite guy, but you can win some games with the dude.

If they're intent on bringing in a replacement, they should hope somebody falls to them in the later rounds. Don't go chasing.

forthe.jpg

LJ11

They haven't soured on Tyrod, its a money issue right now and they don't want to jump the gun. Need to pay Cordy Glenn and Gilmore, along with Tyrod. Unfortunately those are three positions that cost $$$$ and they don't have the space. They're very thin at WR too, no one is signed after this year except Watkins. Need a team around Tyrod if you want to give him a shot. Critical draft for the franchise, they need to be shrewed and nail a lot of selections. I don't buy the Hack news, I think they're bargain shopping with QBs, day two the earliest.

squicken

Bill Connelly on QBs in the draft

So, are there elite quarterbacks in this draft? Is reported favorite Jared Goff or Carson Wentz worth not only a top pick, but also the value it took to trade up? (Not only did the Eagles trade away potential depth, they did so after shelling out a ton of cap space on Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel recently.)

My gut response: no way in hell. Not even close. The Rams and Eagles made transparently idiotic moves. But that's my gut. It's wrong a lot.

Goff was able to get the ball downfield while taking few sacks. That's good. The main red flag for him is that ... shouldn't the potential No. 1 pick check more boxes than this? He's lanky, his Combine stats and completion rate were okay, he threw a few too many picks and he offers nothing from a rushing standpoint. Is that a guy you want to trade away your draft for?

Let's put it another way. Here's what Andrew Luck's radar would look like were he a member of the 2016 draft class. Luck was unanimously regarded as an elite pro prospect, and if the Rams or anyone else would have traded a booty of draft picks for the chance to draft Luck, a lot of people would have considered it a justifiable move.
GoffLuck.0.png

A decision journal would be fascinating when it comes to the guy many assume the Eagles traded up for: North Datkota State's Carson Wentz.

During the 2015 season (and especially during the 2015 FCS championship game) many of us began thinking of Wentz as an interesting prospect with the size and arm strength to maybe go in the second or third round.

Now, nearly four months after his last game, he might go first overall.
Wentz has the physical attributes. He might be the best rusher in the QB class. He used his legs semi-frequently last year (he also broke his wrist while landing wrong and missed half the season).

He was also distinctly average in actual production. He was decent when it comes to avoiding sacks and picks, but his combination of a 63 percent completion rate (against FCS defenses) and 12.7 yards per completion led to him averaging 7.43 yards per pass attempt including sacks. That's far lower than Goff or Lynch (or Hogan!) and barely ahead of Cardale Jones, whose inefficiency is considered a red flag.

Wentz was setting up to be the perfect under-the-radar pick for someone who did their homework. He's gone from underrated to massively overrated. That's unfair to him.

Matticers

I'm with you, actually. If he played football with strength and power, I would just rail on his weight and frame as a fun joke, but not as an actual criticism. But his strength and size seem to go hand-in-hand here. As reference, Kiwanuka was in the 260s, and he never struck me as a strong player at the point of attack, particularly in the run game. Floyd needs significant time in the weight room.

Whether he puts on 5 or 30 pounds, he needs to be stronger to play in our defense, or otherwise we're spending a #10 pick on a weaker, smaller (but taller!) Mark Anderson with less collegiate experience at DE.

I see your profile lists BBI. I wonder what the collective mentality is there about Floyd.

It's cool to see some other people from BBI on here. Someone started a topic there about if you want Floyd with a yes or no response and the results were pretty mixed. I think there were actually more no votes than yes votes. Seems like most Giants fans don't want Floyd. Whether it's worrying about another Sintim situation (I know that's kind of different but yeah) or wanting a better LB like Jack or just wanting a more exciting player like Elliott. But most people just do not want to see Floyd taken at 10.

A trade down would be perfectly fine with me but the Giants almost never do that. This seems like a great year to do it though if it's going to happen unless they like Hargreaves. I'd like to see Hargreaves at 10 but if they get a nice trade offer, I wouldn't mind going down to 15 or whatever and taking a guy like Floyd at that point if he's still there. Or Treadwell or Decker. I'd say Doctson but he's probably gone at that point. I think he'll be the first WR taken.

Ponn

Banned
I like to watch the draft just to see the Jaguars insane, wasted top picks that rarely even make it to a first game.

That's fine. Draft some insurance at the position. Plenty of guys out there.
But they don't need to burn their 1st rounder on Hack. That would be lunacy.
Cardale Jones will still be out there on Friday.

Dude you're preaching to the choir on this one.

I'm just saying that's their logic and why the two parties might be pissy at one another.

They haven't soured on Tyrod, its a money issue right now and they don't want to jump the gun. Need to pay Cordy Glenn and Gilmore, along with Tyrod. Unfortunately those are three positions that cost $$$$ and they don't have the space. They're very thin at WR too, no one is signed after this year except Watkins. Need a team around Tyrod if you want to give him a shot. Critical draft for the franchise, they need to be shrewed and nail a lot of selections. I don't buy the Hack news, I think they're bargain shopping with QBs, day two the earliest.

I see us picking up Prescott on day 3. Seems like a perfect back-up to Tyrod. And you're 100% right, we need to absolutely nail this draft.

I'd be okay with Denver taking a flier on Prescott but only in the later rounds. We're going BPA in the first round but I kinda hope they just trade out and get more picks.

UberTag

I like to watch the draft just to see the Jaguars insane, wasted top picks that rarely even make it to a first game.
What's funny is that even when they make fundamentally sound picks like Dante Fowler they don't even make it to a first game. Franchise is cursed.

Tamanon

Banned
2014 Jags draft class was pretty damn good! I have high hopes. With Fowler coming back it's like 2 1st rounders this year!

overcast

Honestly, I didn't like the move for the Rams to give up a fucking bounty to get the first pick at all. Here I am though, excited as hell to see how good or bad this whole thing ends up.

Either way as a so cal native who jumped on the STL bandwagon when I saw them in the playoffs in '99 (I was 6 okay), this year is already a success.

IvanJ

Banned
As an Eagles fan, I must admit I am not very happy with the trade up.
But what do I know, maybe Wentz will end up being a superstar, but I am not getting that Newton/Luck vibe here, not even the Winston/Mariota level vibe either.
Hopefully it will not end up with Russell/Freeman/Griffin results.

(Also, as a Jacksonville State alum and former benchwarmer, I have a grudge against Wentz for demolishing us this year in the National Championship game).

loudbill

The browns could literally draft the best player, yet they still wouldnt develop him right. I hate the browns but i cant stop watching them

pwnage2u

Banned
All four of SI.com NFL writers mock drafts had the Lions picking someone different at 16.

Don Banks had Jarrun Reed (DT, Alabama), Chris Burke had Jake Conklin (OT, Michigan State), Doug Farrar had LaQuan Treadwell (WR, Ole Miss) and Greg Bedard had Kevin Dodd (DE, Clemson).

Wouldn't mind any of those picks to be honest. Wife Reciever is stacked for Detroit even after Megatron's retirement but injuries always happen and if he's the BPA on the board take him.

Shaq Lawson's shoulder injury worries me a bit but I wouldn't mind either him or Kevin Dodd opposite of Ezekial Ansah rotating with Devin Taylor.

I'm do think the Lions will trade down to a QB hungry team and add more picks to the 10 picks we already have.

Doug Farrar has the worst mock draft in recent memory.

Last time Browns picked a real star was Joe Thomas back in the 07" draft.

Today the Browns will pick a winner, I just know it.

Please

Please...

hiryu

I would love for Bosa, Buckner, or Elliot to fall to 8 and the Browns just draft whatever one is there.

My biggest fear is:

Rams: Goff
Eagles: Wentz
Chargers: Tunsil
Cowboys: Elliot
Jags: Ramsey
Ravens: Bosa
49ers: Buckner
Browns: ?

This would be awful. That only leaves us someone like Stanley or Conklin. I don't think they are going QB in round 1. I'm not sure anyone would even want to trade up to 8 at that point and we probably couldn't get much to trade back at this point.

It would be great if the Charges take Stanley at 3. That guarantees a stud falls to us.

Really hope the Jets don't go for Lynch. He's not the answer, especially with Petty sitting on the bench. I like the receiving core, especially with Thompkins so I don't want to use the first rounder on that. Go for an outside rusher. Nothing else makes clear sense to me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Can't wait for Green Bay to draft a slight above average player yet solid starter.

Unless we go tight end, I can't imagine that we'll get All Pro talent at the other positions we're looking at like defensive line or linebacker.

Hello friend! Are you ready for a little Dutch stat on draft day?!

CheatyMcCheatface, the greatest quarterback of all time and target of an NFL frame job, was drafted in the 6th (!) round.

Fox318

Really hope the Jets don't go for Lynch. He's not the answer, especially with Petty sitting on the bench. I like the receiving core, especially with Thompkins so I don't want to use the first rounder on that. Go for an outside rusher. Nothing else makes clear sense to me.

You aren't going to get an elite rusher unless they trade up.

Cagey

Banned
It's cool to see some other people from BBI on here. Someone started a topic there about if you want Floyd with a yes or no response and the results were pretty mixed. I think there were actually more no votes than yes votes. Seems like most Giants fans don't want Floyd. Whether it's worrying about another Sintim situation (I know that's kind of different but yeah) or wanting a better LB like Jack or just wanting a more exciting player like Elliott. But most people just do not want to see Floyd taken at 10.

A trade down would be perfectly fine with me but the Giants almost never do that. This seems like a great year to do it though if it's going to happen unless they like Hargreaves. I'd like to see Hargreaves at 10 but if they get a nice trade offer, I wouldn't mind going down to 15 or whatever and taking a guy like Floyd at that point if he's still there. Or Treadwell or Decker. I'd say Doctson but he's probably gone at that point. I think he'll be the first WR taken.

Eh, former. I left. Over years the place has devolved into a decrepit dive bar with middle-aged white men saying some foul shit with no moderation.

That aside, the WR I'd want his Coleman. I would rather double down on what makes our offense explosive than settle for a lower ceiling player to achieve a nice complimentary fit. He only runs a hitch, slant, post, and go? Fine by me. He takes those four to the house.

As a Saints fan I'm kind of terrified that we might reach for Lynch. Though I also have a desperate hope that we could land Jack (it seems we're one of the teams that feels confident in his health). Or maybe we just take Rankins like everyone and their mother has mocked to us over the past two months. A wide range of emotional possibility tonight.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Random thought: I remember watching the draft from a couple years back (might've been 2012 or 2013) and ESPN put up a stat saying that over the years the Oakland Raiders passed on Aaron Rodgers, Larry Fitzgerald, & Calvin Johnson. I couldn't breathe for a good seven minutes after seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom