• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL on Xbox One thread

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I have Sunday Ticket through Madden... pretty sure this app doesn't give half a shit if you have Sunday Ticket or not. Let's face it, this app is useless garbage. Maybe 2014?

Alchemy

Well, you pay for that. I don't pay for this unless you count the $500 console and Live. Some might but this is a gaming console first and foremost for me and anything that helps me on Sunday for football and all of my college hoops is icing.

You still have to pay for whatever method you're using to watch the NFL though, unless you're getting OVA channels. I guess in that case you lose the fantasy updates, but thats easily replaced with smartphones/tablets and I would rather do that then maintain an XBLG sub.

I think I'm just really confused on what this is actually bringing to the table.

UraMallas

What games do you have full access to through the NFL app on the XB1? I find it hard to believe that they are offering a Sunday Ticket level of access to games for the price of an XBL Gold account.

Huh? There are no games. I don't know why you assumed that from what I said.

Doesn't seem to update for me. I have texans game playing and nfl app snapped. Scoreboard still days 0-0 even though it is 7-0 terrible jags

All of the scores on scores and schedule tab show 0-0

It seems you have to move around and it will refresh. That is pretty garbage and I hope they fix it. (Edit: I see it's because you were in My Team. Still.)

As for people asking what it really offers over other services like Sunday Ticket and RedZone. Absolutely nothing. It's just a snapped sidebar that has stats and fantasy functionality. It revolutionizes nothing. It is just a neat feature. *shrugs*

This appears to be as useless as it first sounded back in May if you're an NFL fan without Sunday Ticket or Redzone.

I don't understand what you are wanting out of this app. If you have Sunday Ticket or Redzone, why would you not just have that channel on the TV?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Got Red Zone on with scores on the right until the Giants game comes on. Pretty cool. Although I'm not sure the scores are updating properly. Says most games are in Q1 but its 2PM, there's no way.

As for people asking what it really offers over other services like Sunday Ticket and RedZone. Absolutely nothing. It's just a snapped sidebar that has stats and fantasy functionality. It revolutionizes nothing. It is just a neat feature. *shrugs*

This guy seems pretty pumped.

SZVWFbi.gif

sangreal

I can't get redzone to snap at all. it works fine in full screen, but in snap I don't see a redzone live option -- just recap clips

also, pretty delayed compared to tv feed

UraMallas

I'd rather just watch the game without having crap all over my screen.

I know MS is pretty draconian but I've heard tell rumors that they have let the peasantry view football games in full screen mode. They are generous overlords. Praise on high.

Or say 'unsnap'. Wonder of all wonders.

Edit: The Game Center part of the app needs to update, ffs. Get it together.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Scores are still not updating and the app has crashed completely once. That's quite annoying.

BigDug13

DirecTV subscribers need to understand that DirecTV Redzone which is only available through Sunday Ticket is not the same thing as NFL Redzone channel available on non-DirecTV services. Different services, different commentators, etc. Completely different channels from each other.

So essentially there is no NFL streaming support on XBO for a DirecTV subscriber.

nillapuddin

Yeah not seeing a ton here yet, but with this being the last year on the current Sunday ticket contract, and that mega deal MS and the NFL signed this year..

I expect packaged streaming of any team/division/whole league coming next season
For now, it's a nice way to keep up with stats

Tamanon

Banned
DirecTV subscribers need to understand that DirecTV Redzone which is only available through Sunday Ticket is not the same thing as NFL Redzone channel available on non-DirecTV services. Different services, different commentators, etc. Completely different channels from each other.

So essentially there is no NFL streaming support on XBO for a DirecTV subscriber.

Which is REALLY weird since isn't DirecTV the only TV supported by Xbox TV at this time?

Jezbollah

Xbox + Premier League = 20 million sales in EU

I highly doubt that.

NFL is a much more statistical sport than the EPL, and is conducive to the XBone's interface feature set and it's ability to snap information. People don't care for live performance data in the EPL in comparison, unless they're doing in-play betting. And that'll be a very small percentage of viewing. There is also no live streaming rights for the 3pm Saturday matches at all (happy to be corrected on that). This is to encourage people to go to the games. Sky and BT Sport have streaming rights for the rest of the EPL games outside that regular window.

There is no current facility to watch all NFL games like Gamepass exists for the NFL - and I doubt there is the desire to implement it given the potential conflicts between clubs and broadcasters for the reasons I mentioned above. For the NFL, it's simple, as they are selling an interface to a function that already exists.

jdmonmou

I have texans game playing and nfl app snapped

Man, the Texans sure do suck this season.

The NFL app isn't really doing much for me besides taking up valuable real estate on my TV. I hoped it would add an element of interactivity to watching football, but all it's good for is displaying stats and scores. A few ideas on how this app could be made better:

- Real time video highlights from other games in the league
- Interactive polls
- Exclusive content (sideline interviews, analysis commentary, etc.)
- Real time twitter updates

Bsigg12

Man, the Texans sure do suck this season.

The NFL app isn't really doing much for me besides taking up valuable real estate on my TV. I hoped it would add an element of interactivity to watching football, but all it's good for is displaying stats and scores. A few ideas on how this app could be made better:

- Interactive polls

I'm sure the app will grow tremendously next season. They got a lot in for its initial release but there are a lot more things like you suggested that they'll have time to work on. For a system launch app, I'm pretty happy with it.

UraMallas

Yeah not seeing a ton here yet, but with this being the last year on the current Sunday ticket contract, and that mega deal MS and the NFL signed this year..

I expect packaged streaming of any team/division/whole league coming next season

That would be great.

Which is REALLY weird since isn't DirecTV the only TV supported by Xbox TV at this time?

I'm using a Mediacom box. Or, are you talking about something else?

- Interactive polls

That would be great - the snap feature is begging for a Twitter app. I can't believe it wasn't there at launch, I would have it up all the time.

satam55

Banned

Go look up how much the NFL Sunday Ticket/DirecTV exclusive deal is worth compared to the $400 million Microsoft-NFL deal, and you'll realize how ridiculous your post is.

Sobriquet

Go look up how much the NFL Sunday Ticket/DirecTV exclusive deal is worth compared to the $400 million Microsoft-NFL deal, and you'll realize how ridiculous your post is.

It's currently about a billion a year. Assuming it'll go up with new negotiations, Microsoft could still easily afford it. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is a possibility. Isn't Google gunning for rights?

acksman

Thats odd, this gets moved to OT, but other things like Twitch, Xbox TV integration, and other non game, but console related topics are still there.

Anyway, have it working good on my TV. They will have Yahoo services available next year.

The one thing is you do not want to run the NFL app in snap mode. The first time you start it you will need to activate it and hopefully your cable provider is participating right now. After put in the code bam, all NFL channels including Redzone with some nice widgets. Can't wait to see what else they will add.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm really interested to see how this all works out. It would be a huge selling point for me personally. Do I still need a DirectTV subscription or can I buy a subscription through my Xbox One? It would be great if I could just get the subscription through some sort of plan through Microsoft as opposed to switching from Time Warner Cable, which I have no plans to do.

Still going to wait till E3 to decide which console I get but this is a HUGE bonus for NFL fans IMO.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
No this app is not akin to Sunday Ticket... it's akin to using the nfl.com website. Really? Some of you people find the scores and stats useful? As if every single NFL broadcast doesn't have a ticker vomiting scores and stats at you nonstop? Xbox, unsnap, and may god have mercy on your soul!

Fletcher

No this app is not akin to Sunday Ticket... it's akin to using the nfl.com website. Really? Some of you people find the scores and stats useful? As if every single NFL broadcast doesn't have a ticker vomiting scores and stats at you nonstop? Xbox, unsnap, and may god have mercy on your soul!

Pretty useful to me so I can control exactly what stats I'm looking at/looking for. When it's this late into my fantasy football league and i'm monitoring not just my team, but the teams of others and who from who's team is doing what, in the hopes that three certain teams lose so I can make it to the playoffs, but mother fucking Larry Fitzgerald decides to catch two touchdowns in the first quarter. God damn it. I'm out of the playoffs.

TwiztidElf

I'm in Australia. I saw this on one of my other Australian friends feeds, so I tried it.
Won't work for me. It says I need to feed my cable through my XBone.

I don't have cable, only direct streaming GamePass, so NFL on Xbone is no good to me at this point. Shame. Looks good.

Top Bottom