• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Holy shit, this Eli Manning don't get cable get DirectTV instead is kind of unsettling on the different personalities of Eli.

RBH

VIKEBIKE!!!!

Bsyh1nzCYAE8vNu.jpg:large

stadium-0526-001.sJPG_800_450_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG

20120510_stadium14_33.jpg

larry-spooner-rt-rybak_main.jpg

36HbZ.jpg

VBzCm.jpg

thumb.php

ragnar_main.jpg

lwI32.png

Vikings_stadium_006.sJPG_800_450_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG

Here a list I made of some drafted rookies to watch tonight, didn't add undrafted free agents. Feel free to add any more players

Steelers
Round 1, Pick 22 (22)Dupree, Bud Kentucky (OLB)
Round 2, Pick 24 (56)Golson, Senquez (CB)
Round 3, Pick 23 (87)Coates, Sammie (wr)
Round 4, Pick 22 (121)Grant, Doran (cb)
Also James Jesse TE

Vikings
Round 1, Pick 11 (11)Waynes, Trae (CB)
Round 2, Pick 13 (45)Kendricks, Eric (IlB)
Round 3, Pick 24 (88)Hunter, Danielle (DE)
Round 4, Pick 11 (110)Clemmings (OT)
Round 5, Pick 7 (143)Pruitt, MyCole (TE)
Round 5, Pick 10 (146)Diggs, Stefon (Wr)

Edit: forgot to mention I think steelers cb Golson is injured, feel free to update any injuries too

Am I one of the only people who like preseason for the singular purpose of watching depth guys and rookies play?

Yeah its pointless but it can be really good if you actually care about the rotationals and undrafted players.

bionic77

I really want to see how our defense looks tonight.

I am surely going to read too much but I want to see how far they have to go (we have like 5 months before the SuperBow).

Grexeno

Here a list I made of some drafted rookies to watch tonight, didn't add undrafted free agents. Feel free to add any more players

Steelers
Also James Jesse TE

Vikings
Didn't Senquez Golson suffer a year-ending shoulder injury?

Steelers
Also James Jesse TE

Vikings

How has Waynes looked in training camp? I was surprised at how high he went. Hopefully he translates well but there were questions about his coverage skills iirc.

Am I one of the only people who like preseason for the singular purpose of watching depth guys and rookies play?

Yeah its pointless but it can be really good if you actually care about the rotationals and undrafted players.
Naw. it's Good to see rookies, development of players, general new additions and depth. I'm not one that complains about preseason. I regularly watch full games, especially for my own team

How has Waynes looked in training camp? I was surprised at how high he went. Hopefully he translates well but there were questions about his coverage skills iirc.

From what I have heard they have been mostly practicing with him on the second team and (Occasionally) at first team slot CB.

Its pretty evident that Zimmer would prefer to ease him in.

Godslay

Banned

I do it every year.

How do you know who your team might be down the road without seeing it first hand?

List of RBs in 2014 with more touches per game than Jamaal Charles
DeMarco Murray
Le’Veon Bell
Matt Forte
Arian Foster
Adrian Peterson
LeSean McCoy
Andre Ellington
Mark Ingram
Marshawn Lynch
Rashad Jennings
Alfred Morris
Joique Bell
Eddie Lacy
Frank Gore
Justin Forsett

List of TEs in 2014 with higher % of plays on their offense than Travis Kelce
J.Witten
H.Miller
G.Olsen
M.Bennett
L.Toilolo
J.Cumberland
J.Gresham
D.Walker
M.Rivera
V.Davis
L.Donnell
O.Daniels
R.Gronkowski
A.Gates
S.Chandler
B.Celek
J.Carlson
C.Fleener
J.Graham
C.Clay
J.Cook
A.Fasano

List of KC WRs who caught 0 Touchdowns
95 Targets Dwayne Bowe
31 Targets De'Anthony Thomas
28 Targets Albert Wilson
26 Targets Donnie Avery
22 Targets Jason Avant
22 Targets Junior Hemingway
15 Targets A.J. Jenkins
15 Targets Frankie Hammond

Bottom 5 Offensive Line

List of teams Kansas City scored more points than
San Diego
Carolina
Buffalo
Detroit
Washington
Chicago
St Louis
San Francisco
NY Jets
Minnesota
Cleveland
Arizona
Tampa Bay
Oakland
Tennessee
Jacksonville

Obvious conclusion? Alex Smith sucks. KC should of scored more points. Shouldn't of given him 18mil a year. There is no hope.

In reality the opposite is true.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Quickly, for the Steelers tonight, a few things to watch.

Offense

Landry Jones, squicken's boy, will play the majority of the game. He needs to show that he can do something other than suck ass.

Alejandro Villanueva, a massive tackle project, will be fun to watch.

Jesse James and Cameron Clear are rookie tight ends trying to make the squad.

Defense

Rookie OLB's Bud Dupree and Anthony Chickillo need to show something. Anything. Expect to see more athleticism from Dupree and more polish from Chickillo.

The safeties are completely decimated by injury. Do any of the young guys have some talent. Of particular interest will be seventh round pick, Gerard Holliman.

Finally, with Keith Butler taking over the defense, and with the game surely to show mostly base sets, will the Steelers be playing cover 2?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
2014 Runback

In the ten year anniversary of the last time this pathetic franchise reached the playoffs, hopes were high. The team was on the upswing. The defense was improving, headed by one hell of a terrifying pass rushing d-lines in the league. A good draft that had bolstered the weakness of the offense, the line, and the strength of the defense. We would finally get past that mountain that was mediocrity, right? We would finally win more than 8 games, right?

zZhMWT3.png

Same ol' sorry Rams. In Schottenheimer's last ride, the Rams' offense flopped, coming 21st in points scored, and 28 in yardage (hey hey, progress from 30th in 2013). The "vaunted" defense wasn't much better, falling in both metrics too and losing 13 fewer sacks between 2013 and 2014. The offensive line was still terrible, giving up 47 sacks, the lack of weapons was still apparent, and the secondary was still a disaster. And in all of that, there was some gold to be found.

Aaron Donald, selected 13th overall, exploded on the scene, having an amazing rookie season, winning the Defensive Rookie of the Year honor, and his first trip to the Pro Bowl. Tre Mason, who was selected to back a fearsome duo with Zack Stacy, ended up taking over the leading role. Despite a slow start from Robert Quinn, he finished strong, earning another pro bowl trip. The team has pieces to become a threat. Eventually.

Off Season 2015

The first, and probably only major splash the Rams did to try to improve their roster was the trading of former salary cap destroying, often injured mediocre quarterback, Samuel Jacob Bradford, for fellow mediocre, but cheap quarterback Nicholas Edward Foles. Despite not being too high on the trade, Nick Foles should improve the team, by just being out there, but who knows how long he can survive being a line as bad as this.

Free agency came and went, with most free agents avoiding the fuck out of St.Louis. But the draft! We could surely find something in the draft!

Because of our mediocre status, we held the number 10 spot in the draft. Too late for Kevin White, but Devante Parker was still on the board. And we need some form of weapon for our QB to even look for, and when your best option is Kenny Britt, why not take a chance on a rookie. Well, if you're not feeling a wide out, how bout Trae Waynes. Or Marcus Peters. We still need secondary help. E.J Gaynes was quite the shock, coming in to replace Lamarcus Joyner's scrub ass, and help Janoris Jenkins get beat by number 2 receivers, but he was just one man. But no no, silly boy, we play Jeff Fisher ball. And who do we pick?

Todd Gurley. The same Todd Gurley that had torn their ACL that previous season. A running back, coming off a critical injury, at a position of not great need. With our first round pick. Yeah...

Great running back. Not sure if he's gonna help us. See, we can't play Seattle ball if we are missing the pieces that make Seattle so great. Like consistent QB play, a great run blocking line, great overall defense. Picking patches, and assuming it's gonna work is just going to lead to being below the mediocre line once more.

Solid pickups in the draft did happen, though. Rob Havenstein could become a productive lineman one day, and Sean Mannion could be a steady backup. Lord knows we need one of those. And hey, Bud Sasser could be a productive target one day. Maybe we did find that-

62tLy7P.png

Fuck.

Well, one noteworthy pickup is the acquisition of Isaiah Battle in the Supplemental Draft. Battle has first round talent, and should be able to help a weak line, granted if he stays out of trouble. And hell, he can't hurt. Too badly.

QB

Nick Foles is the man in charge now. After a breakout 2013, which had him throw 27 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions, to call his 2014 a regression is almost too light. He put up an underwhelming 13-10 touchdown to interception ratio, becoming a turnover machine, to where he was so steady and so solid at holding on to the ball before.

But he is the guy now. We traded away the old guy for this guy. He doesn't have to be good. Just be able to limit turnovers and move the offense. The talent of Nick Foles is there. He has shown it in the past. But he has to be better than what we have been peddling out there for the last decade.

The battle for second string might be better called the battle for a roster spot. Sean Mannion, Austin Davis, and Case Keenum are the competitors, and it ain't pretty. Mannion is the leader by far, so between Keenum and Davis, I feel Davis is going to win the reserve spot. It's rather lateral, because of what was seen between these two have been rather unspectacular at best.

RB

Tre Mason was a great change of pace last year after Zac Stacy got sent to the doghouse house in favor for Benny Cunningham (Why?). Drafting Todd Gurley might not have been the greatest of uses of our number 10 pick, but he is assuredly better than Benny Cunningham.

We are going to run the ball a lot. It's what Fisher likes to do. Unfortunately, we have no Eddie George or CJ2K. It also doesn't help that we still don't have a line for them to run the ball. But hey, Isiah Pead ain't on the team anymore. So it can't be too bad.

...Wait, Pead's still on the team? Wait, how the fuck is he still on the team? This fucking scrub has done jack shit in his career, yet he's on the team!? What the shit!?

Sigh...

WR

Kenny Britt is our best target. Kenny. Britt.

For some reason, our receiving core just seems to get worse and worse. The Greatest Show on Turf this isn't. This is like Dexter Season 6 on Turf. Ugh.

We seriously passed on Devante Parker for this garbage. Sigh...

O-Line

sabu.png
mjlol.png
pachah1.png
50KS8.png

umad.png

It's bad. Isaiah Battle, Rob Havenstein, and Jamon Brown are solid additions, but they are rookies. Greg Robinson had an unsteady rookie season. Jake Long has ACLs made out of toilet paper. Barret Jones is Barret Jones.

It's not going to get much better. I hope the turf is soft Nicholas.

trash.png

Defense

The D-line is still terrifying. Robert Quinn and Chris Long edge rushing, with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers stuffing the middle, is a nightmare, even for the best offensive lines...If the team is all on. The linebacking core is nothing special. Alec Ogletree is an athletic freak, who with Head Bounty Hunter Gregg Williams new scheme, should thrive. Akeem Akers is a solid pick up, who should be able to provide strong side support. James Laurinaitis is a solid Middle Linebacker.

The biggest question is the secondary.

If E.J. Gaines did not excel at his job last year, the Rams may be liable to claim that they had the worst secondary in league history. Janoris Jenkins is a complete and utter disappointment. He's far too eager to get burnt. Trumaine Johnson has been far superior to him. Lamarcus Joyner has done nothing but be horrible in his spot.

T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod have been good safeties, for what that's worth. Nothing spectacular.

Special Teams

Greg Zuerlin's inconsistent boot needs to shape up. Johnny Hekker will handle the punts. For what was the best K-P for a brief period in 2012, has become relatively mediocre.

Tavon Austin will provide his only worth to the team as a Special Teamer. Yay for first round busts.

Outlook

zZhMWT3.png

For real though, the team is slowly, ever so slowly, getting better. With a weaker bottom of the NFC and a fresh start for a talented QB, the Rams could very well find themselves in the playoffs this year. But, as we have all seen in this past, it's going to need to take a consistent effort. No more giving games away. This team has talent, but they sure don't look it half the time.

The playoffs might be a pipe dream, but certainly 8-8 is believable, right? Just don't lose to the 49ers this year. That would be tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom