• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
Racist fucking commercial.

The ad is "a tribute to the popularity of reggae music worldwide and I salute Jimmy Cliff for being a true Jamaican ambassador through his outstanding music. I urge persons all across the globe to do exactly what the commercial portrays, which is to tap into your inner Jamaican and get happy," McNeil said in a press release.

Neither is reggae legend Cliff, who lends his voice to the ad's version of The Partridge Family theme song Come On, Get Happy.

"I chose to record the song that's part of the Volkswagen Super Bowl campaign because it has a great message and it is something that people can apply to everyday life," Cliff wrote on his Facebook page. "I have traveled around the world many times, met all types of people and played in front of millions throughout my career. I have personally seen the positive effects of Reggae music and Jamaican culture. I am a proud Jamaican and stand by this campaign, I feel like people need to focus on peace and unity. Blessed Love!"

SEE ALSO: At adults-only Caribbean all-inclusives, butlers and booze await

Adam Stewart, Sandals Resorts' Jamaican CEO, who is white, weighed in on his Twitter feed, too: "Like happiness, Jamaican accents don't come in a color! @VW commercial's accent is almost as good as mine - the real ting #gethappy"

As for the actor who stars in the spot?

"People are entitled to their own opinion," Erik Nicolaisen told USA TODAY.

For a second opinion, he asked his brother-in-law, who is from Kingston, Jamaica. "He loves it."

They don't seem to think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom