• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Oh yay!!! I'm so excited that hockey is coming back!!! My dad says I'm really stupid for getting behind this "farce of a season" but I don't care what he says!!! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Free manics!

Don't you go insane saying "my dad" in every post?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is anyone else not as excited for the NHL being back?

Like sure I'm happy to see it back but I'm not that hyped for it. I'm sort of indifferent.
I'm just hoping the lot I park in at Queens Quay and Reese doesn't jack the price on game nights since I'm currently working afternoons.

A_8CIIGCcAE8Uqw.jpg:large

Fei

Oh man I just realized I get to watch the Sabres without Derek Roy on the team. Just keeps getting better.

Alucard

Banned
When the puck is dropped, should the players be cheered, booed, or met with silence? What will they actually be met with?

CREMSteve

When the puck is dropped, should the players be cheered, booed, or met with silence? What will they actually be met with?

They will be cheered, because everyone in the audience will have just paid 100 bucks per ticket to be there. The boobirds will be at home watching at home for free.

CCF23

Cheered.

Cheered.

If you want to protest the lockout, do it with your wallet, not by filling their pockets and then booing or staying silent. The people that buy back in (I'll be one of them), should do it wholeheartedly.

Sunday morning reading: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...e-the-tentative-highlights-of-their-new-deal/

• The CBA will run for 10 years through 2021-22, with an option to terminate the deal after eight years.

• Players receive defined benefit pension plan.

• Owners and players split revenue 50-50 each season, with the players receiving $300-million in deferred “make-whole payments” to ease the transition from previous system.

• A pro-rated salary cap of $70.2-million for the shortened 2012-13 season followed by a salary cap of $64.3-million in 2013-14. The salary floor will be set at $44-million for both years.

• Seven-year limit on free-agent contracts (eight-year limit when a team signs its own player to an extension).

• A maximum salary variance of 35% from year to year, with no more than a 50% total difference between any two seasons in the contract.

• Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration who is awarded at least $3.5-million.

• Each team will be given the option of two “amnesty buyouts” that can be used to terminate contracts prior to the 2013-14 season or 2014-15 season. The buyouts will cost two-thirds of the remaining amount on a deal – paid evenly over twice its remaining length – and will count against the players’ overall share in revenues, but not the individual team’s salary cap.

• Revenue sharing between teams increased to $200-million annually.

• Unrestricted free agency continues to open on July 1.

• The participation of NHLers in future Olympics has yet to be determined. The decision will be made outside of the CBA.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So another thing I'm curious about is whether all the people who guaranteed they would not be watching this season will actually do what they said.

The first week of ratings will be interesting to see.

Cactus

Banned
I'm so happy it's finally over...

Any official word on buyouts? I just woke up and these fuckers on tv aren't giving me any information. thanks bones/dopey

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Any official word on buyouts? I just woke up and these fuckers on tv aren't giving me any information.

2 compliance buyouts after this season

Then buyout works like before, I think

I still want to know if cap trading made it in, damnit

Razorskin

----- ------

Any official word on buyouts? I just woke up and these fuckers on tv aren't giving me any information.

Read the article Bones posted a few posts up, really good summary.

Do we have a GAF fantasy league?

The most important question of all

So another thing I'm curious about is whether all the people who guaranteed they would not be watching this season will actually do what they said.

The first week of ratings will be interesting to see.

CBC must be happy to have their ratings saved.

snack

This looks like it was a big win by Fehr, he really stuck it to Bettman. Bettman played hardball until the sponsors threatened to pull out, and then he was forced into desperation mode and caved in.

CREMSteve

This looks like it was a big win by Fehr, he really stuck it to Bettman. Bettman played hardball until the sponsors threatened to pull out, and then he was forced into desperation mode and caved in.

Not sure how you figure that. Every single item on the new CBA weighs in the owners' favour when compared to last year.

I do agree he did a good job in limiting the damage from the players' perspective.

E-DuB

I am actually shocked that both sides got their shit together and hammered out an agreement. It'll be interesting to see if there is any dickery during the ratification process that would slow up the works. Thank you for proving the doubters wrong.

That said, go 'Nucks, go Leafs, go Preds!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do any of you actually expect the NHL and PA to do anything to "appease" the fans?

They're discussing it on the Reporters right now and Cathal Kelly made a good point. If it were him he'd do nothing and wait and see what the reaction was before figuring it out.

Not sure how you figure that. Every single item on the new CBA weighs in the owners' favour when compared to last year.

I do agree he did a good job in limiting the damage from the players' perspective.

This. Not a "big win," but not a big loss either. They knew they were taking a pay cut going in.

So with the whole "make whole" payments being used to transition from the old cap does that mean old cap hits get readjusted for the new system? No right? Cuz... I'd really like to not lose G, but that's gonna be hard.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Do any of you actually expect the NHL and PA to do anything to "appease" the fans?

They're discussing it on the Reporters right now and Cathal Kelly made a good point. If it were him he'd do nothing and wait and see what the reaction was before figuring it out.
Probably not. It'd be nice if GameCenter were free for the regular season, but I doubt that'll happen. Business as usual, most likely.

Top Bottom