• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is the greatest news I've ever woken up to, now get Gomez the fuck out of Montreal and get dat top 5 pick.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone know when trades and signings can start? We still gots an Ellerby for sale.

When it's ratified

Could be as early as tomorrow

Training camp is hopeful for Wednesday so when it starts, trades can start going through

Hopefully we see movement but its gonna be nutty for GMs as they get their teams in place

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For some reason I can see this season being a complete and utter mess.
Yup.

If the Bruins win the Cup, it'll be awesome and completely legitimate. If it's anyone else, it's tainted bullshit and I will hold it over them forever. So it's a win-win in that sense.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Yup.

If the Bruins win the Cup, it'll be awesome and completely legitimate. If it's anyone else, it's tainted bullshit and I will hold it over them forever. So it's a win-win in that sense.

I'm pretty sure that's going to be everyone's mindset when it comes to their team lol.

I'm happy, great news to get up to on a Sunday morning. Go leafs. Can someone post the details of the agreement?

And what is the playoff structure like? Is the realignment in effect?

If I have to see any other canadian team except the leafs lift the cup... No.

Edit: Also, any teams that will the cup this season is not legitimate unless the leafs won it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm happy, great news to get up to on a Sunday morning. Go leafs. Can someone post the details of the agreement?

• The CBA will run for 10 years through 2021-22, with an option to terminate the deal after eight years.

• Players receive defined benefit pension plan.

• Owners and players split revenue 50-50 each season, with the players receiving $300-million in deferred “make-whole payments” to ease the transition from previous system.

• A pro-rated salary cap of $70.2-million for the shortened 2012-13 season followed by a salary cap of $64.3-million in 2013-14. The salary floor will be set at $44-million for both years.

• Seven-year limit on free-agent contracts (eight-year limit when a team signs its own player to an extension).

• A maximum salary variance of 35% from year to year, with no more than a 50% total difference between any two seasons in the contract.

• Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration who is awarded at least $3.5-million.

• Each team will be given the option of two “amnesty buyouts” that can be used to terminate contracts prior to the 2013-14 season or 2014-15 season. The buyouts will cost two-thirds of the remaining amount on a deal – paid evenly over twice its remaining length – and will count against the players’ overall share in revenues, but not the individual team’s salary cap.

• Revenue sharing between teams increased to $200-million annually.

• Unrestricted free agency continues to open on July 1.

• The participation of NHLers in future Olympics has yet to be determined. The decision will be made outside of the CBA.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Amnesty buyouts not going into effect until next season is perfect, it keeps Gomez and Kaberle sinking the team for a good pick, and hopefully forces Bergevin to keep Gally in the minors to finish the season dominate. I've never been more pumped to watch my team lose.

Razorskin

----- ------

And what is the playoff structure like? Is the realignment in effect?

If I have to see any other canadian team except the leafs lift the cup... No.

Edit: Also, any teams that will the cup this season is not legitimate unless the leafs won it.

Bones posted a good summary

Sunday morning reading: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...e-the-tentative-highlights-of-their-new-deal/
• The CBA will run for 10 years through 2021-22, with an option to terminate the deal after eight years.

• Players receive defined benefit pension plan.

• Owners and players split revenue 50-50 each season, with the players receiving $300-million in deferred “make-whole payments” to ease the transition from previous system.

• A pro-rated salary cap of $70.2-million for the shortened 2012-13 season followed by a salary cap of $64.3-million in 2013-14. The salary floor will be set at $44-million for both years.

• Seven-year limit on free-agent contracts (eight-year limit when a team signs its own player to an extension).

• A maximum salary variance of 35% from year to year, with no more than a 50% total difference between any two seasons in the contract.

• Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration who is awarded at least $3.5-million.

• Each team will be given the option of two “amnesty buyouts” that can be used to terminate contracts prior to the 2013-14 season or 2014-15 season. The buyouts will cost two-thirds of the remaining amount on a deal – paid evenly over twice its remaining length – and will count against the players’ overall share in revenues, but not the individual team’s salary cap.

• Unrestricted free agency continues to open on July 1.

• The participation of NHLers in future Olympics has yet to be determined. The decision will be made outside of the CBA.

edit: goddammit not again purg!

DopeyFish

We don't have all CBA details though

Unsure of cap trading... Still

It was in NHL proposal which got this process started and I'm sure the NHLPA wanted it too

We don't have all CBA details though

Unsure of cap trading... Still

It was in NHL proposal which got this process started and I'm sure the NHLPA wanted it too

Hey dopey, do you know what the playoff structure is this season? It doesn't say anywhere. Is the realignment in effect as well?

And the amnesty buyouts are awesome, lol.

Edit: Thank you purge and razorskin

DopeyFish

Hey dopey, do you know what the playoff structure is this season? It doesn't say anywhere. Is the realignment in effect as well?

And the amnesty buyouts are awesome, lol.

Should be normal playoffs this year

No guarantee for next season, though

Realignment is next season for sure

Should be normal playoffs this year

No guarantee for next season, though

Realignment is next season for sure

Yeah, I hope they don't go with what I've read about the new proposed playoff structure, I read about it somewhere and honestly, it is fucking terrible. I wish I could remember the link. It wasn't my cup of tea to say the least.

And can leaf fans stop asking for Luongo. That includes you dopey. We would have to likely give up our prospects and more for him. He's not worth it.

Is Kesler still not 100%?

Yeah. He still needs truck loads of donuts in his system. I presume he will be healthy by then.

Quick

Banned
And can leaf fans stop asking for Luongo. That includes you dopey. We would have to likely give up our prospects and more for him. He's not worth it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen any inkling from Leafs fans here that we want Luongo. Or, at least, said that seriously.

CREMSteve

Anyone else watching TSN see that Datsyuk goal? Hot damn that was dirty. I love that he always comes up with goals I have NEVER seen before.

DopeyFish

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen any inkling from Leafs fans here that we want Luongo. Or, at least, said that seriously.

I'll take him, for sure

Leafs are well positioned to take salary

Vancouver is in poor position to drop salary (as they are loaded and in win now mode)

I'm not sure, I think there are some leaf fans that actually want him. I definitely don't want to see him in a leafs uniforms whatsoever.

But if we have to give up very minimal to get him, I don't mind.

Curufinwe

I think all of these clauses are great. I always hated the really long contracts, especially the ones where the last few seasons were for peanuts e.g. Brad Richards.

I'll take him, for sure

Leafs are well positioned to take salary

Vancouver is in poor position to drop salary (as they are loaded and in win now mode)

Yeah, but do you really want to be stuck with his salary/cap hit? His track record isn't great. I'm not sure what makes leaf fans think he will be any different with the leafs. It's a risky signing and you know it. It won't payoff at the end. Then leaf fans will probably call for Luongo's head.

DopeyFish

Yeah, but do you really want to be stuck with his salary/cap hit? His track record isn't great. I'm not sure what makes leaf fans think he will be any different with the leafs. It's a risky signing and you know it. It won't payoff at the end. Then leaf fans will probably call for Luongo's head.

$5.3 million? Yes, pls

What is the latest news about PHX?

Sale is supposedly going to be announced soon

Quick

Banned

We've already torn down that golden Reimer statue, lol.

What is the latest news about PHX?

Still there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Realignment will be fine but I give playoff realignment 3 years before the fans revolt and the league changes it back.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have missed Mike Milbury so much.

CCF23

The fans in Toronto will love Luongo. Love him. At least for awhile because he'd almost assuredly get them into the playoffs. The Leafs expectations right now aren't Stanley Cup, they're playoffs.

Luongo remains a fantastic regular season goalie.

Marvie_3

Banned

Cactus

Banned
I still don't know why the Leafs aren't in Bernier's pants. He makes more sense for a developing leafs team and pool than Lou.
Like Reimer, Bernier is a huge question mark. Even if the scouts think he's more likely to be a #1 goalie someday, the Leafs need stability right now. A guy like Luongo (assuming the price is reasonable) would give the team exactly that.

Top Bottom