• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

zroid

Banned
LeBrun on 2017 WC:

The Toronto Maple Leafs are the front-runner to host next year's Winter Classic for their centennial season, although sources say it’s not a done deal at this point.

There is concern in some league circles that Toronto’s sports market could be saturated next year with the World Cup of Hockey in September, CFL Grey Cup in November and part of the world junior hockey championships in late December/early January all being held in Toronto.

So the internal debate at the league’s head office right now is whether Toronto should instead get a Stadium Series outdoor game later in the season to distance it from those events.

The Maple Leafs, like the NHL, are celebrating their 100-year anniversary next season, so either way sources say an outdoor game at BMO Field is likely. The question is whether it’s the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 or a Stadium Series game later in the season.

The New York Rangers are the front-runner to play the Leafs in the Winter Classic should Toronto get it, although there are a few other teams in the mix, sources said.

Should Toronto not get the Winter Classic, sources said a Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins matchup is possible for Jan. 1 either at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia or Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

Much of this is in flux but there’s a time pressure on the league to make a decision soon, sources said.

imBask

Banned
CXp_NKQU0AAEY--.jpg

oh someone posted it already, whatever, it's too good

yyzjohn

Banned
Man I hate outdoor games. The quality of the hockey is just so bad. If every game was played like that I'd never watch hockey anymore. They need to do away with this gimmick.

imBask

Banned
Man I hate outdoor games. The quality of the hockey is just so bad. If every game was played like that I'd never watch hockey anymore. They need to do away with this gimmick.

I think it's fine, but it lost it's "special" factor... having 3-4 outdoor games per year does that, they went full Ubisoft and burned everyone out

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It's no wonder nobody goes to the front of the net considering the NHL does nothing to protect them.

Cross-check, high stick, slash, tackle them by the neck, it's all fair game.

zroid

Banned
I think it's fine, but it lost it's "special" factor... having 3-4 outdoor games per year does that, they went full Ubisoft and burned everyone out

it's still fun for the fans and players I think, but NHL should let more different teams participate

really don't think we need to see the Hawks in another outdoor game. Habs vs Bruins is good.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
"We want to talk about your history Don"

Yeah don't talk about the game, just talk about how great Don Cherry and the Bruins are.

imBask

Banned
it's still fun for the fans and players I think, but NHL should let more different teams participate

really don't think we need to see the Hawks in another outdoor game. Habs vs Bruins is good.

I agree, but then again I wouldn't watch a Panthers vs Devils game even if it was outside and i'm a hockey fan, so I can't imagine how it would drive non-fans to watch this special thing

zroid

Banned
omg these retro Cherry clips lol

I agree, but then again I wouldn't watch a Panthers vs Devils game even if it was outside and i'm a hockey fan, so I can't imagine how it would drive non-fans to watch this special thing

Luckily I don't think we have to worry about a Panthers Devils outdoor game any time soon :lol

imBask

Banned
Gallagher might be my favorite player on this team just after Price, you don't know what you got till it's gone etc etc

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gallagher might be my favorite player on this team just after Price, you don't know what you got till it's gone etc etc

Yeah I think his absence just cemented how important he is to the team.

edit: Byron!

Top Bottom