• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Quick

Banned
Uh most players are judged on numbers alone right now anyawy (goals, assists, +/-, TOI, hits, # of blocked shots, etc)

They are all just numbers.

I guess.

But it just seems insulting (from his point of view) having someone judge him right there based on Corsi alone.

Samyy

I guess.

But it just seems insulting (from his point of view) having someone judge him right there based on Corsi alone.

But it tells us whether someone is generating more scoring chances then they are giving up, which is somewhat important in hockey?

If you're giving up more scoring chances then you generate then aren't you hurting your team?

zroid

Banned
I guess.

I agree, randos on twitter have no business trying to tell players what to do, whether it's fancystats or whatever else. Just let the coaches do their jobs.

(and if the coaches aren't doing their jobs, then complain about the coaching)

Quick

Banned
But it tells us whether someone is generating more scoring chances then they are giving up, which is somewhat important in hockey?

If you're giving up more scoring chances then you generate then aren't you hurting your team?

The numbers game is important, sure, but I don't think it tells a complete story when you're watching a player on the ice.

It's a simple thought process on my part, and stats are important to the game, but I don't think players should be judged solely on them. Insert intangibles joke here.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, randos on twitter have no business trying to tell players what to do, whether it's fancystats or whatever else. Just let the coaches do their jobs.

(and if the coaches aren't doing their jobs, then complain about the coaching)

Fuck the coaches.

Wait did you edit in that last line?

Samyy

The numbers game is important, sure, but I don't think it tells a complete story when you're watching a player on the ice.

It's a simple thought process on my part, and stats are important to the game, but I don't think players should be judged solely on them. Insert intangibles joke here.

But the guys that bring the "intangibles" on the leafs (Clarkson, Komarov, Winnik etc) are corsi monsters Quick! :p

Captain Intangible Jonathan Toews is also a corsi beast.
What people refer to as intangibles is something that should show up in corsi, if a guy plays hard like Komarov then he should be limiting chances against and pushing the puck down the ice.

Fair enough, I just thought Bobby Ryan was overreacting, that guy wasn't trying to talk shit based on corsi or anything, just trying to introduce a concept and he acted like a tool. Good for him.

Heretic

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raining%20Coins_zpsfe1oaphu.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ibfxU7jde4mc7X.gif

iqpRpgZCSpjeB.gif

ibeNp73bJHdiZ5.gif

SleepyFeistyLcont.gif

Perry still a good guy
W2FETbK.jpg

Quick

Banned
But the guys that bring the "intangibles" on the leafs (Clarkson, Komarov, Winnik etc) are corsi monsters Quick! :p

Captain Intangible Jonathan Toews is also a corsi beast.
What people refer to as intangibles is something that should show up in corsi, if a guy plays hard like Komarov then he should be limiting chances against and pushing the puck down the ice.

Fair enough, I just thought Bobby Ryan was overreacting, that guy wasn't trying to talk shit based on corsi or anything, just trying to introduce a concept and he acted like a tool. Good for him.

ivpgeMeI0XUHF.gif

You're okay, Sammy.

Bobby Ryan overreacted, probably joking. I see both sides to it.

Samyy

You're okay, Sammy.

Bobby Ryan overreacted, probably joking. I see both sides to it.

Looking back at the tweet it does kinda sound like he's joking, internet sucks for picking that stuff up though :p

Your pretty alright too Quick :)

Players definitely don't need to know about advanced stats really, unless it starts getting used in arbitrations or something.

Razorskin

----- ------
Haven't been following the season too closely. Are the Leafs doing okay after the first month?

RpBKevA.png

God damnit.

Boston has two more games played and are only a point ahead of the Leafs, there's still hope!

Can't wait for the late season collapse.

Apparently Vanek owed like one million dollars in that betting ring in New York that was reported in the off season.

Sounds like all of it was on football, but wow. Almost a million dollars? Damn.

Top Bottom