• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

Yawnier

Banned
Tommen > Joffrey.

tumblr_nuj6111YZM1th7li3o5_500.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rough situation for the Isles, how do you even begin to get full value back in a situation like this?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Rough situation for the Isles, how do you even begin to get full value back in a situation like this?

You don't. Hamonic is a good young player on a terrific contract, so they'll get something of value back, but they're starting off from a very weak bargaining position, especially now that it's public.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If they tried to add more players and make it a bigger deal, they might be able to get more value than just trading Hamonic straight up.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
By making it public they could get a little bidding war going. Every Western Canadian team could use Hamonic.

I don't think they wanted to make it public. They would have been dealing from a position of strength if they were in contact with each of those teams secretly. Now those teams know Hamonic has a set number of destinations.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pavel Buchnevich had his first hat trick today over in the KHL. Adam Graves is over there watching him for the Rangers right now, and Chris Drury will be the next to go over and keep an eye on him.

Given how bad Severstal is otherwise (tied for last place in the Western Conference), it seems likely that they will miss the playoffs come February. There's a lot of talk that the Rangers are looking at Buchnevich as a late season add in that scenario.

Between the possibility of having Buchnevich in North America so soon and Jeff Gorton's recent comments about how the Rangers can't keep trading away their first round picks, I'm guessing we'll see a bit of a different strategy from the Rangers around the trade deadline this time around compared to the last few years.

EDIT: And just now saw that the NYR twitter account just posted gifs of all three of Buchnevich's goals. Clearly they're paying a lot of attention to him.

Samyy

By making it public they could get a little bidding war going. Every Western Canadian team could use Hamonic.

I think Minnesota, Toronto and Chicago are probably closer to his hometown than Vancouver, I doubt the options are limited to Western Canadian teams.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I think Minnesota, Toronto and Chicago are probably closer to his hometown than Vancouver, I doubt the options are limited to Western Canadian teams.

It's been pointed out that though places like Chicago might be closer to his home, there are direct flights from Vancouver to Winnipeg, which you're unlikely to find in most of the major American cities (and if they exist, they're less frequent.) Plus, domestic flights vs. international flights.

All that being said, Hamonic doesn't have an NTC, so he might have to settle for somewhere like Columbus if that's the best fit for the Islanders.

fallout

It's been pointed out that though places like Chicago might be closer to his home, there are direct flights from Vancouver to Winnipeg, which you're unlikely to find in most of the major American cities (and if they exist, they're less frequent.) Plus, domestic flights vs. international flights.
I've also seen some suggestions that relocation might be easier if it's a Canadian city. E.g., if he has an ailing family member, they could more easily (and happily) relocate to Vancouver than say, Chicago.

I feel weird speculating on this, but the real point is that we don't know all of his reasons, so what might not make sense to us might make perfect sense given circumstances we're not at all aware of.

zroid

Banned
LeBrun is reporting there will be a 5 day bye week in each team's schedule next season

all the breaks will occur between Jan 1 - Feb 28

edit: *throws holy water on zombie james*

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems to be the norm now in the north american sports.

NBA just last season had like a week off after the all-star game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well I enjoyed it http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-rangers-edmonton-oilers-toronto-maple-leafs/

Leafs ranked above Bolts
What a time to be alive
Now come home Stamkos
Reminds me of the day where every text message I sent was a haiku.

Hamonic for Daley pls
Some news for Marvie:

Kane is the first player this season to reach 30 points.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/667108348479856640
Yay

calder

Dongerson got the MVP yay

Last Blue Jays update until baseball season starts.

Good opportunity to watch that YouTube super cut of all the Jays homers set to that Johnny Cash song again. Also may watch Joey Bats go yard against the Rangers again, shit that was fun.

What a crazy eventful season.

Top Bottom