• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Parch

Damn look at all these Leaf fans out of the woodwork, gatdamn.
Optimistic happy puppies are the perfect way to describe the Leafs and their fans for the last 50 years. Puppies are awkward, stupid, and pretty much useless, but even when they lose they're still loved by dog fans because they're so darn cute.

In the NHL playoffs you let the big dog eat, but the Leafs are like a corgi. They sure are adorable for trying so hard.
AROOOO

imBask

Banned
Optimistic happy puppies are the perfect way to describe the Leafs and their fans for the last 50 years. Puppies are awkward, stupid, and pretty much useless, but even when they lose they're still loved by dog fans because they're so darn cute.

In the NHL playoffs you let the big dog eat, but the Leafs are like a corgi. They sure are adorable for trying so hard.
AROOOO

and Oilers fans look like that old dog beaten by it's owner for 16 years, with a missing eye and half a tail, somehow suddenly adopted by papa Playoffs

Foggy

Puppies are awkward, stupid, and pretty much useless

giphy.gif

Who hurt you, Parch?

Montresor

It's crazy what the end of a series will do for my general temperament.

I don't hate Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Wilson, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Williams, or Holtby anymore. I hope they win the Cup now.

:(

I parked at the train station today on the way to work and saw a car with a Leaf flag on it. Man it still hurts even in the morning.

But it doesn't hurt as much as 2013's loss against the Bruins. I actually shed real tears at that travesty.

Today I'm sad but still kind of stoked to see the Leafs finally earn some respect around the league.

Parch

and Oilers fans look like that old dog beaten by it's owner for 16 years, with a missing eye and half a tail, somehow suddenly adopted by papa Playoffs
It's been only 10 years since the Oilers were in the Stanley Cup finals. Game seven, so very close to another Cup.
How about the Leafs? Were you even alive when the Leafs were last in the finals? Was your dad even alive? Maybe your grandfather?

Cactus

Banned
It's been only 10 years since the Oilers were in the Stanley Cup finals. Game seven, so very close to another Cup.
How about the Leafs? Were you even alive when the Leafs were last in the finals? Was your dad even alive? Maybe your grandfather?

imBask has been a Leafs fan since 1967

Parch

I'm cautiously optimistic for the Oilers in the 2nd round. I don't see the Ducks being a whole lot different from the Sharks. It will be Getzlaf or Kesler tasked with being the 2nd skin on McDavid for more hook and tackle tactics, but the Oilers just proved they can win a series without a lot of production from Connor. He can only get better in the 2nd round.

Oilers handled the Ducks in the regular season but I don't put a lot of faith in that record. Playoffs are a different game. It could be another defensive grind with the winning team capitalizing the most on the few chances they get. Call it a toss up. Survive this series healthy and I think the winner has a legit shot at making the Finals.

Sephzilla

So I'm admittedly a casual fan who's trying to get into a little more hockey, so my viewing experience is limited, but man that Caps/Leafs series was fun to watch

Yeah, Oilers won 4 of 5 against Anaheim in the regular season. Ducks have also never beaten the Oilers in a playoff series. Connor McDavid is a generational talent that won't be quiet for long, I don't think Anaheim has answers for him or the other players.

Sharks played better than Anaheim did in the first round and the Oilers beat them. Ducks could have lost if a few bounces didn't go their way or if Brian Elliott didn't give up the soft goals.

Talbot is better than Elliott and so on.

imBask

Banned
Galchenyuk is SOOOOOOOOOOO gone

"do you think the team used you in a position to get the best out of you?"
*dodges question once*
"... next question"

just happened

EDIT: wrong thread

Solo

Galchenyuk is SOOOOOOOOOOO gone

"do you think the team used you in a position to get the best out of you?"
*dodges question once*
"... next question"

just happened

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You were supposed to bring balance to the force

:_(

Sephzilla

where you from friend Seph? who would be your natural geographical pick for a team?

I'm from Wisconsin so I don't really have a geographical pick for a team, aside from the Milwaukee Admirals (who, by the way, have sick looking uniforms). I'm not rooting for any Chicago or Minnesota team. I'm casually jumping on the Caps bandwagon mostly because one of my cousins who's super into hockey has been a fan of theirs for almost a decade.

I'm from Wisconsin so I don't really have a geographical pick for a team, aside from the Milwaukee Admirals (who, by the way, have sick looking uniforms). I'm not rooting for any Chicago or Minnesota team. I'm casually jumping on the Caps bandwagon mostly because one of my cousins who's super into hockey has been a fan of theirs for almost a decade.

What about Detroit? Good history. Loyal fan base. Fellow Great Lake state. The peninsula is 'nice'. The only drawback is that they're going to be shit for 3-4 years.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah, Oilers won 4 of 5 against Anaheim in the regular season. Ducks have also never beaten the Oilers in a playoff series. Connor McDavid is a generational talent that won't be quiet for long, I don't think Anaheim has answers for him or the other players.

Sharks played better than Anaheim did in the first round and the Oilers beat them. Ducks could have lost if a few bounces didn't go their way or if Brian Elliott didn't give up the soft goals.

Talbot is better than Elliott and so on.

It's going to be very sad to have to lose to the Oilers, but I'm glad that we'll have two more chances to visit The Honda Center before the season ends next Wednesday. Horrible luck that our best chance to go all the way happened to coincide with the year the Oilers became unstoppable and got directly in our path. Best of luck against the Predators next round, Oiler fans.

Holiday

Banned
Perhaps you could pick a team based on their mascot. Do you like animals, specifically cool reptiles? If so, you are welcome to come out of your shell and join me as a fan of the St. Louis Blue Turtles!

PillarEN

What about Detroit? Good history. Loyal fan base. Fellow Great Lake state. The peninsula is 'nice'. The only drawback is that they're going to be shit for 3-4 years.

But we got a new arena which will make us forget about the product on ice while we move on from the 80s into our new home that we will be ogling at in wonder.

Parch

It's going to be very sad to have to lose to the Oilers, but I'm glad that we'll have two more chances to visit The Honda Center before the season ends next Wednesday. Horrible luck that our best chance to go all the way happened to coincide with the year the Oilers became unstoppable and got directly in our path. Best of luck against the Predators next round, Oiler fans.
It's good that you've accepted your fate. You can be proud of that. Unfortunate that the Ducks can't just concede instead of avoiding the embarrassment so we'll have to go through the motions to complete the series. It doesn't have to be violent. The Ducks can just roll over and die to save face. It's for the best.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's good that you've accepted your fate. You can be proud of that. Unfortunate that the Ducks can't just concede instead of avoiding the embarrassment so we'll have to go through the motions to complete the series. It doesn't have to be violent. The Ducks can just roll over and die to save face. It's for the best.

All I ask is that you hold back and only win by a few goals in game 2 so that we can bid farewell to our troops with dignity.

Montresor

AROOOO

Calamari, SmackCrackleNPop, Heretic, and the rest of Ducks-gaf:

I'm on the Ducks bandwagon now.

Ducks in 7. Then Ducks over Predators. Then Ducks over Capitals.

I think the Oilers have a good chance against the Ducks. The Sharks didn't play that badly.

It'll probably come down to the health of the Ducks' defence and the Oilers' speed.

Jinaar

Snes vs loliers in the finals pls.

Would love to see what ratings would be across North America for a Canadian only Playoff Final. 100% viewership in Canada most likely. Probably best time for USA to launch a strike on Canada, we'll all be drunk and watching hockey. But we would all be armed with beer bottles and hockey sticks.... hmmm.

Montresor

The Ducks lineup is pretty damn good. Oilers have an incredible team too.

I could see that being a really really hard fought series. Going to 7 games.

Actually the entire second round looks to be filled with even matchups.

Futureman

I feel like the Rangers are the worst team remaining. Maybe it's because Pens took them out in 5 last year. Are they any different than 2016?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the Rangers are the worst team remaining. Maybe it's because Pens took them out in 5 last year. Are they any different than 2016?
Significantly different. The Rangers took a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and responded to getting thrashed by the Pens by completely overhauling their forward lines with the aim of becoming younger, faster, deeper, and more skilled. People rightly thought the Rangers' window might be closing after last year, but the offseason reboot may have kicked it right back open again for just about as long as Hank can keep it up, which quite honestly will probably be several more years.

That said, the defense is still a shambles. Since the forwards got a complete refresh last offseason, expect this year's overhaul to be focused on the D corps. That effort has already begun by signing Alexei Bereglazov (who is not eligible for these playoffs, so he's playing for Russia in the World Championship with Hank's anointed successor, Igor Shestyorkin).

I still think the Rangers get obliterated in a straight matchup with the Penguins, though. I think they can beat the Sens, they would have a pretty decent chance against the Caps, and they're capable of beating anybody in the West (I think Edmonton might be the scariest matchup for the Rangers out of the West, honestly).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Significantly different. The Rangers took a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and responded to getting thrashed by the Pens by completely overhauling their forward lines with the aim of becoming younger, faster, deeper, and more skilled. People rightly thought the Rangers' window might be closing after last year, but the offseason reboot may have kicked it right back open again for just about as long as Hank can keep it up, which quite honestly will probably be several more years.

That said, the defense is still a shambles. Since the forwards got a complete refresh last offseason, expect this year's overhaul to be focused on the D corps. That effort has already begun by signing Alexei Bereglazov (who is not eligible for these playoffs, so he's playing for Russia in the World Championship with Hank's anointed successor, Igor Shestyorkin).

I still think the Rangers get obliterated in a straight matchup with the Penguins, though. I think they can beat the Sens, they would have a pretty decent chance against the Caps, and they're capable of beating anybody in the West (I think Edmonton might be the scariest matchup for the Rangers out of the West, honestly).

That's what the Canucks tried to do after losing to Boston and we all know how that worked out

Rags in 6
Pens in 7

Ducks in 6
Blues in 6

Toronto might have been just what the Caps needed to get them fired up enough to stymie the Pens. Not having Letang and Murray didn't hurt them vs CBJ, but it's not hard to imagine it will against Washington.

Looks like Sully is screwing around with the lines, bumping Hornqvist up with Sid and sending Sheary down to the 3rd line. I don't know if I like breaking up that 1st line, but whatever, Horny is a great agitator and net front presence. Kunitz is skating again and will likely replace Wilson or Rowney.

Regardless, the winner of Caps/Pens will hoist the Cup. It's a shame this shitty format effectively has the SC Finals in the 2nd round.

Top Bottom