• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs |OT2| stay salty, my friends

Soup Bar

There's the Brett Hull No goal, the goal that was missed in the cup finals in 03, and then there's this. This is one of the worst calls ever made.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
LOL CBC.

"Let's listen first, he blows the whistle!"

-replay, no whistle to be heard-

"WELL I HEARD THE WHISTLE'

Don Cherry with the "I heard nothing and he didn't even raise his arms" truth bombs.

You can hear the whistle in the reply they just showed, it was blown.

Your ears are better than mine.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Saad hit him in the face with his stick after he was taken to the ice, and more importantly that was the primary thing the ref saw right in front of him.

That said, at the end of a Game 7, you would think that would normally be let go. It's not a "wrong" call to call it, though, just unusual, especially with the way the play was developing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is the first hockey game I've ever watched basically for more than 2 minutes. Fun stuff till the end, which was unbelievably stupid.

Fascinating to see that there are officials as bad as baseball umpires in other sports.

bardia

LOL CBC.

"Let's listen first, he blows the whistle!"

-replay, no whistle to be heard-

"WELL I HEARD THE WHISTLE'

Don Cherry with the "I heard nothing and he didn't even raise his arms" .

You can hear the whistle. Bad call though, Saad did nothing.

There's the Brett Hull No goal, the goal that was missed in the cup finals in 03, and then there's this. This is one of the worst calls ever made.

Even as a Sabres fan, this is a worse call than no goal. Certainly maybe not as catastrophic result, but it's just completely baffling intrusion of bad officiating instead of missed rule breaking at the worst possible time.

ShaneB

hailmar2.gif

TheFatOne

I disagree with the analysts at halftime. It was the right call, but generally refs won't call that in game 7 late in the third. You can say he shouldn't have called it, but it was the correct call.

calder

Yeah you definitely hear the whistle, Smelly just has bad hearing. ;/

But I think the big issue is why the fuck did Saad get a call at all. 2 minutes for getting blown up? Saying he sticked the guy while falling to the ice is bullshit. Walkom just fucked that call.

vilmer_

But I think the big issue is why the fuck did Saad get a call at all. 2 minutes for getting blown up? Saying he sticked the guy while falling to the ice is bullshit. Walkom just fucked that call.

In a lot of cases nowadays, there's a lot of 'verbal' misconduct and the second referee must have caught it. You can't just drive someone into the boards and call them a pussy anymore, sadly.

zedge

Yea its a bad call, but I don't think the ref knew that a goal was just about to be scored down the ice.. just awful timing.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If you guys all say you can hear it I'll believe you. That takes away the BS "intent to call" complaint, at least.

Still a bullshit penalty to call, especially because Saad didn't do much.

Even as a Sabres fan, this is a worse call than no goal. Certainly maybe not as catastrophic result, but it's just completely baffling intrusion of bad officiating instead of missed rule breaking at the worst possible time.

This call is indeed right up there, but nothing beats the Hull goal. There were goals called off in that playoffs where players had the tip of their toe nail in the crease.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree with the analysts at halftime. It was the right call, but generally refs won't call that in game 7 late in the third. You can say he shouldn't have called it, but it was the correct call.

Yeah, pretty much. It IS a penalty. But it's a very weird thing to call at this particular point in time.

In the middle of a game in November? Sure. In the final two minutes of Game 7 in the playoffs at the end of a physical series? I don't think so.

pringles

In situations like this, the team on the wrong end of a bad call usually get fired up and go on to win the game. Guessing the call won't matter in the end.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
That's the worst call I've ever seen. No hyperbole.
The refs needs to be accountable.

Anyway, I'll take Sharp and Franzen.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
They're shitting their pants at the HQ in Toronto right now. They need the Blackhawks to win this. Reparations will be made.

Top Bottom