• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I'm loving the combat. The defense/evade system is pretty good but can be twitchy at times and require some pretty good reflects. After awhile you kind of get use to canceling out of attack into defense. If you are fighting boss with strong attack you got to be careful with long casting attack though cause it doesn't seem like you can cancel out of those.
It gets pretty hectic though when you get your 2nd party member. My only gripe is that the AI controlled character aren't very good at blocking strong attacks. You can set several tactics for them but I wish there was afew more options like conserve mana etc.
If anyone has figured out what the blue colored damage text above enemy's head is let us know. I'm unsure if it was mentioned in any tutorial but I can't seem to find any info on it.
I've had the game for afew days and have already clocked 18 hours. This game just oozes charm. And wow that soundtrack.

I feel the exact same way about the battle system. Though if theirs one thing I have a hard time with, is fighting more then one enemy by yourself. It's not that big of a problem where I can't progress but it gets pretty difficulty by yourself. While I'm attacking one enemy I'm usually getting pummeled by the other enemy. I would use cutting loose to end them both but this game requires MP inside and outside battle so it's not very knowledgeable.

I can't comment on the partner since I'm not that far yet, but I'm guessing it's hectic telling from the demo.

zeopower6

My local EBGames had 30 pre-orders... is that a good sign for such a game? (for reference, the chick told me BLOPS2 got 300)

Some Best Buys and GameStops seem to have sold some people's preorders and no longer have copies for the people who preordered. Though neither store probably expected a demand so they stocked probably like 10 each.

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game. Really made me excited for this game. Hopefully Newegg gets this to me sooner rather than later, as I want to get into this as soon as I possibly can.

bounchfx

Is this really not on PSN yet? what time do games go up? My ps3 is a piece of shit and doesn't read discs so I gotta fill my 60gb harddrive with this. I wish ps3's weren't so expensive.

zeopower6

Why? I'd look into it myself but I'm afraid of spoilers.

Pf5OI2v.jpg

It's not spoiler-y really. If you save before/during that wand quest and reload(?), you end up with what is pictured above.

Verelios

Newegg just shipped it to me today. I can't believe how on top they've been with release date deliveries recently.

I love the game. I'll just get that out there. I'm about an hour and thirty minutes in and I adore Drippy and his VA, although Oliver is kind of a tool. He's just a kid so it fits, but really it's grating sometimes. Also, Oliver's voice actor sounds flat at times which is disengaging for me yet still not a deal breaker.

Combat is just getting warmed up however for the most part I'm liking what I see. Argh, there's just something about NiNoKuni that makes me giddy. It's the mixture of Studio Ghibli's animation and a certain nostalgia for old fairytale stories and traditional RPG's. It's just so good-- I was actually smiling to myself at the corny dialogue between Oliver and his friend and occasionally Oliver and Drippy.

Opie666

Banned
someone told me the game is like a pokemon game where you have to catch monster and can raise them and mix them together, is that true?

zeopower6

Question:

Then how do you know when you can save again?

No idea. I suppose as soon as you finish that wand quest and find that stick, you should be fine but to be safe I would progress a bit further after that point. This wasn't in the Japanese version, by the way.

I guess I didn't get the wand bug. Though I never turned my PS3 off for hours. Is that the only spot?

I think so. There are reports of freezing and Oliver slamming into walls or something but I think those are individual cases that involve PS3s and not glitches present in the game for everyone.

Derrick01

Banned
My local EBGames had 30 pre-orders... is that a good sign for such a game? (for reference, the chick told me BLOPS2 got 300)

I guess it depends on the size of your area. I live in a pretty small and rural area and I've had clerks there tell me that in order for them to have a midnight launch for a game they need 100 preorders. Most niche and smaller games they only stock what they get in preorders because they don't expect it to sell. That being said they told me (I'm pretty friendly with most of them) that they also got around 30 preorders for this which far surpassed their expectations (they said it's common for niche games like this to get around 10 preorders) and they're going to request more stock if interest keeps up in the next week.

Anecdotal evidence and everything but I wouldn't be surprised to see this chart on the NPD next month, even if it's 9 or 10th place.

edit: Also for further comparison each COD normally gets around 250-300 preorders at my store too. I remember when I went for MW2 there were over 300.

So once you get into
the alternate world and do your first tutorial battle, you don't have to worry about that glitch anymore correct?

zeopower6

I think most people would be fine with the Japanese dub but the English dub (especially Drippy) is really well done. I'm going to play through the game twice so I get to experience both tracks, uhuhu~

So once you get into
the alternate world and do your first tutorial battle, you don't have to worry about that glitch anymore correct?

Yes.

squall211

Is there an official soundtrack for the game that I can pick up somewhere? When I do searches on the internet all I can find is gamerips and the DS soundtrack.

zeopower6

Is there an official soundtrack for the game that I can pick up somewhere? When I do searches on the internet all I can find is gamerips and the DS soundtrack.

Only the DS version and gamerips exist. A PS3 OST was never released.

Um, what's the point of naming the Wizard's Companion?

Is there an option for that? I would imagine it places whatever name you put in the "This tome belongs to....." section in the first few pages.

Goli

I'm guessing the people that go for that, are the EU players that don't want to wait 12 days. lol

I'm from Latin America and I'm getting it from PSN since apparently the game will not hit retail stores here till Friday. Less than what people from Europe gotta wait, but still :D.
Also, this is my first full actually-sold-on-retail-too PS3 title I'm buying from PSN, so I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not but why do you have to download two items?

Esura

Banned
Is there an option for that? I would imagine it places whatever name you put in the "This tome belongs to....." section in the first few pages.

Yeah. I got the book and its asking me to put a name down. I was wondering if this was another way to name Oliver.

Top Bottom