• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Aeana

Ni no Kuni also has some serious pacing problems — the titular White Witch isn't mentioned by name until 40-plus hours into the game — and they extend well beyond its plot.

I think some people might arrive at the same conclusion. The reason for the strange pacing is that the PS3 version's story is basically constructed on top of the original DS version's. It adds quite a lot and extends it. I think it's neat, though, but the effect is probably lessened if you aren't familiar with the DS one.

Hero

Played through the demo, graphics are superb and the music is great.

I didn't get the battle system too much, I felt like they didn't really explain anything to me. I got by both boss fights on my first try but it seemed like it was really grindy. Are all bosses like that?

madhtr

I think some people might arrive at the same conclusion. The reason for the strange pacing is that the PS3 version's story is basically constructed on top of the original DS version's. It adds quite a lot and extends it. I think it's neat, though, but the effect is probably lessened if you aren't familiar with the DS one.

Did the DS one focus on
Shaddar?

If any of you think I gave the game a 6.5 just to be different, you don't know me terribly well.

Glad to see a lot of people are enjoying it. I will be curious to see if others start seeing the flaws I did as they get deeper into the game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Firing it up. Going in blind. I hope I enjoy this as much as I think I will.

EDIT: Forced installation? Weak. Guess I'll go make a sandwich.

I'd really like to get my hands on the DS version at some point! Would be very interested in seeing how it connects exactly.

madhtr

If any of you think I gave the game a 6.5 just to be different, you don't know me terribly well.

Glad to see a lot of people are enjoying it. I will be curious to see if others start seeing the flaws I did as they get deeper into the game.

I haven't run into any of the battle issues, yet.... but I'm only 10 hours in, of course.

Wunder

I'd really like to get my hands on the DS version at some point! Would be very interested in seeing how it connects exactly.

Great review Phil, I think you hit the nail on the head with quite a lot of your points about combat. Only 10 hours in and just
picked up Esther
and I can already feel that I'll be struggling with the AI a lot. I wouldn't mind it so much if I could switch back and forth more easily and depend more on my micro managing, but having to throw back out a familiar every single time adds so much time wastage. Also agree about the puzzle solutions and side quests.

I haven't run into any of the battle issues, yet.... but I'm only 10 hours in, of course.

Started bugging me around 15 hours, ebbed and flowed from there. But like I said, glad folks are enjoying it and wouldn't want to take away from that. If you don't end up seeing the same problems I did, I don't mind. :)

madhtr

Started bugging me around 15 hours, ebbed and flowed from there. But like I said, glad folks are enjoying it and wouldn't want to take away from that. If you don't end up seeing the same problems I did, I don't mind. :)

I guess I have had problems where my second party member has decided they are fine battling without their familiars 90% of battles. Didn't really think about it until just now.

Edit: Dammit... I keep forgetting to edit when I have multiple responses so close together... Sigh

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So has anyone here who wasn't a fan of Level 5 RPGs like Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 2 played this game yet, and if so how is it? the game looks and sounds like my dream j-rpg, but I'm skeptical because of Level 5.:(

madhtr

Oh, there's also the art for the DS version that is pretty much him, lol.

Indeed that is. Well, makes sense how this game is focused, in that case.

So has anyone here who wasn't a fan of Level 5 RPGs like Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 2 played this game yet, and if so how is it? the game looks and sounds like my dream j-rpg, but I'm skeptical because of Level 5.:(

Did you like DQ8? It plays like that, only the story isn't as good, of course. I liked DC2, though, and RG until I got bored and stopped playing like 50 hours in.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I LOVE the battle system! I feel like I have a bunch of strategic options at my disposal every battle now with just 3 familiars. Can't wait til I have more!

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting lower scores. Personally, I was way more suspect of all the super high scores than either the 1UP or Polygon review (I haven't read the Game Informer review). I know people really want JRPGs to be relevant again, but I don't think scores in the average-to-good range are at all unreasonable for this game. Ni no Kuni is a beautiful game that reminds everyone of JRPGs they loved in the past, but will Ni no Kuni itself be remembered quite as fondly as a FFVI or Chrono Trigger? Time will tell, but I'm leaning towards probably not.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting lower scores. Personally, I was way more suspect of all the super high scores than either the 1UP or Polygon review (I haven't read the Game Informer review). I don't think scores in the average-to-good range are at all unreasonable for this game. Ni no Kuni is a beautiful game that reminds everyone of JRPGs they loved in the past, but will Ni no Kuni itself be remembered quite as fondly as a FFVI or Chrono Trigger? Time will tell, but I'm leaning towards probably not.

It doesn't have to even come close to Chrono Trigger or FFVI to be one of the best RPG's this gen. It's a sad state of affairs lately and anything that is playing by the genres rules and still being pretty good is something to be exited about these days.

It doesn't have to even come close to Chrono Trigger or FFVI to be one of the best RPG's this gen. It's a sad state of affairs lately and anything that is playing by the genres rules and still being pretty good is something to be exited about these days.

Right, that's why Ni no Kuni deserves the attention and deserves to be played. What it doesn't deserve is extra points on its score for simply being competent just because everyone else is floundering or super niche.

Right, that's why Ni no Kuni deserves the attention and deserves to be played. What it doesn't deserve is extra points on its score for simply being competent just because everyone else is floundering or super niche.

Yes, and for what it's worth, as a fan of the JRPG genre I'd be playing any game of that type that gets a 6-7 range on Polygon's scale. That's "good but not great" for us, which is still well within my realm of worth checking out.

Just checked my play time: 3:37

I just beat
Hickory Dock
and got the
wand from the cat king

How long until it really starts to pick up? I heard the first 5 hours of the game starts slow?

Just checked my play time: 3:37

I just beat
Hickory Dock
and got the
wand from the cat king

How long until it really starts to pick up? I heard the first 5 hours of the game starts slow?

When you get out of that first area and into the
desert
things pick up a bit more and some more systems open up. You're very close to that.

bounchfx

3 hours in. Love it so far, though really story heavy up to this point, maybe 20 minutes of gameplay heh. It's GORGEOUS though. Can't wait to get more familiars and fight more.

1stStrike

Banned
The game bored me so much that I went and took a nap, came back and started playing another game. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow, but the game really holds your hand way too much. If I was 8 years old I might appreciate it more.

People in this thread are rating it high for old school nostalgia. The game is nothing special and definitely not 8/10 or higher material.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is one of those times when you can call the music 'glorious' without seeming like a hyperbole machine.

So where do I cash in my 'Griffy ticket'?

This is one of those times when you can call the music 'glorious' without seeming like a hyperbole machine.

So where do I cash in my 'Griffy ticket'?

I wish the overworld battles didn't use the battle theme and just let the overworld theme continue. The overworld theme has a long enough intro, and the battles are frequent enough that it feels slightly awkward.

The game bored me so much that I went and took a nap, came back and started playing another game. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow, but the game really holds your hand way too much. If I was 8 years old I might appreciate it more.

People in this thread are rating it high for old school nostalgia. The game is nothing special and definitely not 8/10 or higher material.

How many hours did you play?

madhtr

Wait, wait wait. You can counter!? Hooow? :/

You need to attack when the attack command flashes blue... apparently not so easy. I haven't even tried.

Edit: Also, different people are going to have different opinions of different games. Just because I hate Halo doesn't mean I don't expect someone to rate it a 9. People like what they like, and you really can't know what someone else is going to like. *shrugs*

The former WoW player in me would never allow myself to stand there and not attack on cooldown in hopes of countering, so as far as I'm concerned, there is no countering in this game!

The former WoW player in me would never allow myself to stand there and not attack on cooldown in hopes of countering, so as far as I'm concerned, there is no countering in this game!

HA, I had the exact same internal struggle for the exact same reason. Pays off to learn when is best to keep attacking and when to wait for a counter or wait to defend tho

1stStrike

Banned
How many hours did you play?

I'm about 2 1/2 hours in. My opinion may change once I've played more tomorrow, but right now it's been a pretty poor beginning. You spend more time having things explained to you than actually playing the game, the
death of Oliver's mother was poorly done with no emotion or tension to the scene
and I don't feel any kind of sense of urgency or connection to the game world.

It's a real shame because the game looks great, but I just want to fucking play the game and further the story, not sit there and have to read through poorly constructed English sentences with no voice overs (it's fine when they're voiced, but when you have to read this shit with no voice overs, it's a fucking pain).

This is pretty much, Tutorial: The Game so far.

Tiktaalik

My review of polygons Ni No Kuni review.

+website looks amazing
+starts strong
-after awhile it feels samey
-soulless writer seems to hate conventions of the genre

I kid of course

Whatever I don't agree with anything he said Yet. I am only 5-6 hours in though.

A pointlessly long game isn't something I value in my JRPGs and this review has made me quite cautious about picking up Ni No Kuni.

It's worth noting that, Chrono Trigger, a title many consider to be the best in the genre, is a mere 20-25 hours long.

EDIT: Damn I somehow skimmed over that "I kid of course." Doh >_____<

I'm about 2 1/2 hours in. My opinion may change once I've played more tomorrow, but right now it's been a pretty poor beginning. You spend more time having things explained to you than actually playing the game, the
death of Oliver's mother was poorly done with no emotion or tension to the scene
and I don't feel any kind of sense of urgency or connection to the game world.

It's a real shame because the game looks great, but I just want to fucking play the game and further the story, not sit there and have to read through poorly constructed English sentences with no voice overs (it's fine when they're voiced, but when you have to read this shit with no voice overs, it's a fucking pain).

This is pretty much, Tutorial: The Game so far.

Understandable. I think a lot of people were thinking the same, but I heard it should be picking up in 2-3 hours from where you're at. I really didn't understand how:
She goes to save Oliver, she does, then all of a sudden just collapses? Why? Is it because her soul mate Alicia was injured in her world?

Anyways don't quit! Play the game for at least 2-3 more hours :)

JollyWolf

Understandable. I think a lot of people were thinking the same, but I heard it should be picking up in 2-3 hours from where you're at. I really didn't understand:
She goes to save Oliver, she does, then all of a sudden just collapses? Why? Is it because her soul mate Alicia was injured in her world?

Don't quit! Play the game for at least 2-3 more hours :)

She collapses because she has a heart attack. She always had a weak heart, and swimming puts a lot of stress on the heart.

Jaroof

So I started this game today...
Played it for about 4 1/2 hours.
I'm loving it so far.
The characters are pretty charming.

She collapses because she has a heart attack. She always had a weak heart, and swimming puts a lot of stress on the heart.

Was it just the swimming, though? I thought it had to do with the fact that her son could've died right in front of her...

Does combat ever get more complicated? Seems really simplistic. Also is there any way to avoid getting hit? Feels like im doing something wrong when all i can do is stand there and get whacked because im standing there waiting to attack

I'm about 5 hours into the game and I'm loving it. It could use less tutorials on some seemingly self-explanatory things but.. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that I miss a good console JRPG but I really have yet to have a problem with the game. I thought I'd hate the voice acting but it grew on me, and I enjoy the characters, the story, the music. The gameplay is also quite good for me so far. I don't know, Kefka. I think a 6.5 sounds a little harsh even if the gameplay turns out frustratingly bad later on.

Top Bottom