• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Owns You And Your Mothers!

IJoel

With the release of the Hurricane Pack #1, for me, Ninja Gaiden has become the undisputed BEST ACTION GAME ever of its class. The game feels like a complete new experience with this pack, and it's faster, tougher and EVIL.

Of course, this isn't for those sissies that can't stand playing a challenging game.

So far I've only completed Chapter 1 and half of Chapter 2 and here are the main modifications:

1. New Weapon: Lunar - Ryu waves that damned stick like a cheerleader on steroids. It's amazing how much fun a simple weapon can be.

2. "Faster" Combat Engine - There are a couple of new moves that you can perform, and the response time seems to be around the same, for controlling the game, but the main difference here is that you need to be significantly faster compared to the original NG, as enemies have more unblockable moves and will perform them if you sit somewhere blocking idly. It makes the player create openings, rather than waiting for them to show up. The enemies are also more aggressive.

3. Different Enemy Scenarios - Don't expect the same scenarios from the original NG to show up. This means that, for instance, instead of the brown pushover ninjas in Chapter 1, now you'll have the flip crazy white ninjas, and of course, there has to be a replacement for these ninjas, and the black-shuriken-throwing-sons-of-bitches do a fine job at this.

4. Controllable Camera - For all you bitches that complained about not having the controllable camera. It IS nice for exploring the environments and certainly quite useful at that, but you will be handed your ass back to you if you try using it during combat. The action is way too fast paced to be bothering with a manual camera.

5. Higher Item Prices and Less Free Potions - Hahaha... surprise surprise! You expected a nice refreshing healing potion to come out of that chest, right? DENIED! No potion and EVIL BATS TO BITE YOU! Somewhere in Japan, Itagaki is devilishly grinning.

The game is now truly hard. As I read someone mention, it used to be challenging, and now it's plain hard and if you can't master the controls, you won't even make it past the first few levels.

That said, the game feels like a complete new experience. The tweaks and additions, as well as the harder difficulty make it feel like a completely different and even more badass game than the original.

This thread shall not be complete without pics! Here, for your amusement!

ninja_screen002.jpg

ninja_screen011.jpg

ninja_screen004.jpg

And, of course, OUR GOD AND MASTER:

1063880841.jpg

I agree with everything you typed up, IJoel. I want to reiterate just how much more challenging the enemies have become....their AI patterns are far more vicious and you can get killed far more easily now if you tend to sit around and just block and counter. That said, the new intercept skill (works just like a 'Just Defense' from an SNK game) is your true friend. And yes, that Lunar staff fucking rocks! Cat bitches are annoying, too.

maskrider

I like the default NG but this update is Live only and that means it is not for me, and the new futuristic costume is ugly (even more ugly comparing to the extra one in the default game).

Controllable camera is a welcome addition but not for people who don't want to subscribe to Live.

Best download EVAR! Yep, it's truly hard and kicking my ass all over the place. And I love it! Babies who cried that the game was too hard originally should stay far away.

Troidal

Oh hell this game is tougher indeed.
Every battle I finish, I go back and head for the save point... :p

I'm at the end of stage 3 fighting Dynamo...I'll admit I'm no Master Ninja so I am not even sure how far I can make it in this new expansion pack.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
How is the very first boss? Is it as "WTF! Is he unbeatable?" as in the original version?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
high rankings seem much harder to come by as well. i'm still trying to get master ninja on the first chapter.

as mightyhedgehog mentions, the more aggressive ai seems to be the biggest difference. they'll nail you as you come down from air combos, pin you in corners, come at you en masse, and generally cut you no slack whatsoever. it seems like ryu's attacks have had their priorities lowered too - you have to find a good angle or wait for your enemy to launch a slow attack in order to interrupt their combos.

i think i'm going to play some more gradius and finish doom 3 before i really get into it, but i'm already impressed with the hurricane pack. even with my overwhelming pro-shmup bias, i think ninja gaiden might end up being GOTY.

gunstarhero

Man - your not kidding when you say this game is now truly hard - I'm getting my ninja dog ass handed to me on the very first level. I took a couple of months off after beating it, so my skills are a bit rough. The trick to surviving the onslaught is the intercept technique - hands down. I wish you could intercept projectiles - those black ninjas would be mine. Regardless, Intercept flat out kicks ass and is my favorite addition to the upgrade.

I've only got to play for a half hour - finally can get to the boss without using all my potions. First boss seems just as tough as the first time around - it's getting to him thats the tougher part.

The Lunar is awesome - weak (but it's only on Level 1), but get a ninja in a room's corner and it's bye bye ninja. In fact, this seems to be the easiest way for me to get past the black ninja attack right outside the boss' room. Corner and bitch slap.

I still have awhile to go till my skills are back on par - but like I said in a previous post - this just made an old game new again.

rastex

Banned
Drohne, how do you raise your ranking? I beat the first chapter with using no potions and a few ultimate attacks and still got Ninja Dog. I think I'm just gonna practise in the respawning room for awhile to bring my skills up and earn some gold... Hopefully that'll raise my ranking as well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the main thing is to beat enemy waves within the time limits, which gives you big karma bonuses. you'll notice that a timer comes up whenever enemies spawn....i think it's on by default in the hurricane pack, but if not you can turn it on by pressing the white button and then clicking the right stick. or something.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DaCocoBrova said:
Any modded XBOX owners know how to cop this update?

d/p
You have to be connected to Xbox Live to start a game with the new content, so I really doubt this will be cracked.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There's no offline way to play w/ these characters?!

I have a hard time believing that. The player model info I'm sure is cached somewhere off of the XBOX's C: in a TDATA folder...

There must be a way...

IJoel

DaCocoBrova said:
There's no offline way to play w/ these characters?!

I have a hard time believing that. The player model info I'm sure is cached somewhere off of the XBOX's C: in a TDATA folder...

There must be a way...

Connect to Xbox Live, download it, make it to a save point. Afterwards you can continue from that save point with no need to connect to Xbox Live.

Getting to the first point isn't necessarily trivial... well, at least the first 3 times. :p

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'll wait for some other brave soul to do that for me and just get on IRC and reap the rewards.

Ecrofirt

I'm pretty sure you can't really get Live updates if you don't have Live. The downloads are Xbox-specific, from what I understand, which means we're SOL.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not to break ranks with the praise, but I'm a bit dissapointed by the HP download for a few reasons:

Not fully integrating it into the game by forcing you to go on Live just to start a new game. Making it extra hard for the NG experts is great, and I don't protest the difficulty spike in theory, but... it would have been better IMHO if all the new stuff and features were just made standard parts of the game and you could start a new game with difficulty selection and so forth. They could have simply added "Hurricane" difficulty and there you'd have gotten the rearranged item placements, higher prices, and so forth that would make the game super hard and unforgiving. But still allowed everybody to play with the new weapon, costumes, and new enemies along with other tweaks and the camera.

And no, I'm not complaining due to lack of l33t skillz - I beat original NG and actually found it not all that hard. But I like to replay games for enjoyment as well as pain, and am glum that I can start a normal game with all the new stuff for the times when I just want to have fun, not bust my nuts.

IJoel

Kaijima said:
Not to break ranks with the praise, but I'm a bit dissapointed by the HP download for a few reasons:

Not fully integrating it into the game by forcing you to go on Live just to start a new game. Making it extra hard for the NG experts is great, and I don't protest the difficulty spike in theory, but... it would have been better IMHO if all the new stuff and features were just made standard parts of the game and you could start a new game with difficulty selection and so forth. They could have simply added "Hurricane" difficulty and there you'd have gotten the rearranged item placements, higher prices, and so forth that would make the game super hard and unforgiving. But still allowed everybody to play with the new weapon, costumes, and new enemies along with other tweaks and the camera.

And no, I'm not complaining due to lack of l33t skillz - I beat original NG and actually found it not all that hard. But I like to replay games for enjoyment as well as pain, and am glum that I can start a normal game with all the new stuff for the times when I just want to have fun, not bust my nuts.

I agree somewhat with your issue with the features being forced on Live initially as a chore. That said, I love that they upped the difficulty, and not because of 1337 skillz or anything like that, but because the game feels completely new. Had they just integrated the new weapons and enemies into the game, I frankly would've played the first couple of levels and stopped there. As it is now, I am as compelled to beat the game as I was initially when I first got the game, not only because of the challenge, but because the new gameplay mechanics make the game very different from the original.

I can foresee, as IGN mentioned, Tecmo releasing a Ninja Gaiden Gold edition or something like that for the holidays with all the Hurricane Packs as a standalone game. However I don't think they'll lower the difficulty since Itagaki is somewhat adamant about it.

jedimike

Kaijima said:

The purpose of the download is for the tournament, not for some casual stroll back through the game with new costumes or whatever. It is for competition and competition only. So it's justifiable that the game is insanely difficult and available only on XBL.

About the camera...

For me, it works just like the old camera. Every time I move the right thumbstick it goes into 1st person mode. Something you DON'T want. Am I doing something wrong?

edit: thx Ijoel

IJoel

jedimike said:
The purpose of the download is for the tournament, not for some causal stroll back through the game with new costumes or whatever. It is for competition and competition only. So it's justifiable that the game is insanely difficult and available only on XBL.

About the camera...

For me, it works just like the old camera. Every time I move the right thumbstick it goes into 1st person mode. Something you DON'T want. Am I doing something wrong?

You have to click the right thumbstick in order to enable the new camera.

P90

I didn't like NG. But, I think Tecmo should be applauded for this update. More companies should give such updates to their products.

aerofx

Do you need to have beaten the game on regular before playing this hurricane pack? I don't even know if I still have my old savedata.

Kai Dracon

jedimike said:
The purpose of the download is for the tournament, not for some casual stroll back through the game with new costumes or whatever. It is for competition and competition only. So it's justifiable that the game is insanely difficult and available only on XBL.

About the camera...

edit: thx Ijoel

Actually, I believe it has been stated in various places - including on the major websites - that the HP was also created to correct what the producer felt were flaws with the game, like the camera. Also, the addition of a totally new and major weapon (plus Intercept, which changes the combat greatly) isn't bonus fluff. It's core additions to the game mechanics, or in other words, Ninja Gaiden 1.1. I simply feel it's a bit lame and disappointing that it comes off more as an XBL gimmick than an update to "fix" problems with the core game. If Id released an update to Doom 3 which added new weapons, new core engine features, and what not but was tied in to a special online service you had to pay extra money to Id to use to get the update - thus making the "generous" free update not free at all - you can betcha some people would say it was lame. Not to mention, in such an example, being unable to use the new updated features in a truly normal game of Doom 3, but only in one particular setting defined by Id on their special online service.

It's not a major beef anyway. It's just a bit lame to me and a slight dissapointment. No big deal.

Kai Dracon

aerofx said:
Do you need to have beaten the game on regular before playing this hurricane pack? I don't even know if I still have my old savedata.

To start an HP game you need to log on to XBL and select the new, #2 trial mission. Hold down white or black buttons to start with one of the new costumes. Once you reach the first save point in level 1, you can make a save file there and continue your HP game without connecting to XBL again. However if you can't connect to XBL in the future for any reason, you won't be able to start a new HP game even if the update is downloaded onto your hard drive. So you might want to set your initial HP save file into the end slot or something to use as a permanent launchpad for an HP-enhanced game.

IJoel

aerofx said:

I don't think so. I was able to download this both on my Xbox with the beaten Ninja Gaiden file, and on my Halo Xbox with no beaten file.

Alex

Did it make any fixes to the camera outside of manual control? I wanted to like Ninja Gaiden, but it frankly had by far the worst camera I've ever seen in a game, IMO at least.

I'm usually very, very quiet on camera systems when arugements come (I think I only really bitched about Kingdom Hearts actually when it comes to cameras this gen, but KH had no other redeeming qualities anyway, so who gives a fuck), but when I finally got time to play the game, I didn't even make it through the first level before shutting off the game in disgust.

I dunno, maybe I was too quick to judge it and shut it off, but man, I remember wanting to tear my hair out just at the first section of the first level.

I'll have to give it another chance someday.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Wondering exactly what you'd like to see fixed. Nothings been done to the camera aside from the manual ability (which is useless to me for the most part).

Alex said:
Did it make any fixes to the camera outside of manual control? I wanted to like Ninja Gaiden, but it frankly had by far the worst camera I've ever seen in a game, IMO at least.

You've obviously never played Otogi, then ;)

IJoel

I upgraded the Lunar to level 2 last night.

THE STICK IS LIFE! BLOOD AND GIBS FLEW EVERYWHERE!

Man, playing with the level 2 Lunar is just incredible. I can't recommend it enough. Get the hurricane pack and play with the Lunar stick.

Top Bottom