• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course

Title: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

System: Vita

Price: Full

Concept: Port a port, do a lazy job, thus making it the worst version of the game yet, charge full price. Show a complete lack of understanding of what made NG and Black compelling. But who gives a fuck, WE SHIPPED AT LAUNCH YAYYYYYYY

Features:
--unstable 30 FPS - usually smooth, but goes unstable on harder difficulties with more enemies on screen and when there are explosions. Also, you will need some time to adjust if you've played the others extensively.

--Mixed bag of PS3 visuals and Xbox visuals - I recommend turning down the gamma a bit and bumping the contrast a bit to save your eyes. It also takes away the hazy look of the game.

--The worst bow controls you've ever seen -- both the analogs and gyro controls are options for aiming. You can shoot by tapping the screen or pressing a button. BUT YOU CAN'T TURN OFF GYRO AIMING AT ALL. It's super sensitive, so it pretty much craps on any hope of just using analogs-- when you move the analog, you move the Vita, thus you throw off your aim. Did nobody notice this? Was this game ported by robots? It's a huge disregard for the player. Have fun with the Comm Tower in Chapter 10. Or just fire up the Comm Tower trial with no enemies and see how it's still a huge pain in the butt-- then imagine that with enemies firing rockets at you and other enemies trying to kill you on the ground. That's just for starters, there are lots of moments where the bow is necessary or at least, the very best option (helicopters, tanks.) P.S. his auto aim is terrible if you choose to stay in third person view. It won't hit anything that isn't stationary.

--Broken scoring system -- the karma system was amazing in Black. At the time, it was a modern game with an old-school scoring system that was almost airtight. Each fight is timed and gives you a bonus if you beat the enemies quickly buuuuuuttttt-----

--"Enchancements" - oh, a new accessory added! New content! You get these automatically for beating chapters. They have an increase in defense/offense, with a negative impact on the other. One of them "Greatly Increases" attack and with a small decrease to health/defense. Combine it with Sun Armlet and voila! You've broken the game, if you have average blocking skills. All normal enemies go down in one or two hits, bosses in about 10 hits. Thus, you get the karma time bonus on every fight and all challenge is pretty much gone. Admittedly, MNM might still be a slight pain, but nowhere near a regular MNM run.

So, what do they do? Make it so you can't upload your karma score for using these cheap items? No. Instead they...

--Removed the leaderboards from the game completely.

--Even easier than before -- blue health orbs drop every 2nd or 3rd enemy, even on Hard. I was chaining UTs forever before i just got bored to tears and fed up with this port. Enemies seem to drop more yellow essence (money) too, so you can max out your money very quickly.

--PS3 tech problems still present - loading screens popping up during fights in Tairon, if you cross the magic invisible "loading line." Loading screens for treasure chests. These problems were not in the Xbox version.

On the plus side:
--It's portable Ninja Gaiden.
--It's still a big game with lots of unlockables and the combat is still smooth.
--You can lower your standards and enjoy it, but judged against the rest of the NG ports/remakes/etc, it's easily the worst.
--You can limit yourself to the original content (no enhancements) and play that way for "legit" score attack. Annoying though, since Itagaki made the game to be air tight on its own. And there are no leaderboards anyway.

Overall: Ninja Gaiden 1 was awesome, Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my top games of all time. Sigma was a back step, Sigma Plus is a further back step. But these are back steps from my favorite game of all time, so I'd call it merely a pretty good game, though the worst in the series of NG1 with a bunch of WTF decisions thrown in.

Screenshots:
XwIs8.png

Aeana

Once I heard it was 30 FPS, I had decided not to buy it, but I ended up getting it anyway. Honestly, I'm still glad I got it. It's really awesome to have Ninja Gaiden on the go.

Seik

Banned
I was still on the fence about buying it since I knew it was 30FPS only.

Now I'm pretty much convinced that I won't buy it...:/

Unless I find it for really cheap.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So the port really is that bad? :(

Also I kinda want to get Sigma even through I already have Black. Having NG1 in 720p+ would be nice, but then I'd lose the "EVIL DARK DRAGON BLADE... A LEGENDARY SWORD SAID TO BE CARVED OUT OF THE BONES OF THE DARK DRAGON..." intro. :(

pa22word

And this is why I wait on fan reception instead of listening to pro reviewers too lazy to actually go into any detail other than "oh uh erm it's NG....but on the go!". Thanks for saving me the money TC.

Aeana

So the port really is that bad? :(

Also I kinda want to get Sigma even through I already have Black. Having NG1 in 720p+ would be nice, but then I'd lose the "EVIL DARK DRAGON BLADE... A LEGENDARY SWORD SAID TO BE CARVED OUT OF THE BONES OF THE DARK DRAGON..." intro. :(

I don't really think it's a terrible port. It's the worst version of Ninja Gaiden, and the 30 FPS part really sucks, but it's not buggy, and I haven't really experienced any slowdown on normal. We'll see when I finish and start on a higher level. Either way, I'm glad to have bought it.

Yep, also glad I got it. I love playing it on the Vita, and frankly I don't feel I'm missing anything compared to playing the other versions. First game I bought for the Vita and one of the reasons I bought the handheld.

Skilletor

I'm currently in chapter 8. 30fps takes some getting used to. Each time I turn the game on, it's like...ugh. I adjust after playing for awhile. It is a rock solid 30fps most of the time.

The IQ on this game is ridiculous. It looks amazing. Easily one of the best looking games on Vita.

I couldn't recommend this over any other version of the game, though. Only get it if NG being portable is important. Otherwise go with any other version of NG. Especially black.

That being said, it being portable is a huge plus for me. It's still an amazing game with tons of unlockables, missions, and replay value. I bought this digitally and I know I'll be playing it for a long time to come.

KageMaru

30 fps for an 8-year-old port is really inexcusable. Especially when it ran in 60 fps back then.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I was fine with some graphical downgrades from the PS3 version, but I hoped the frame rate would have been locked down.

They should have just done a straight port of NGB instead of NGS, they might have been able to hit 60 then.

zroid

Banned
A shitty port of an HD remastered port of an augmented version of one of my favourite games of the last decade.

Lovely.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I bought it after being assured it's a sharp port and was not disappointed. Nope, I don't care about 30fps because: 1 - it's damn smooth, locked, and 2 - this is NOT an 8 year old game. It's a port of the PS3 version that had noticeably upgraded visuals. As far as I can tell, it's a nearly perfect port of a PS3 game. And it's very optimized. No extra loading or pauses, no breaks in polish and presentation.

I can accept that as a launch title. It's not like there's a lot of competition, but it is effectively the best action battle game on a portable system.

A shitty port of an HD remastered port of an augmented version of one of my favourite games of the last decade.

Lovely.

Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita.

I did my time and beat NGB with honors. Game plays fine.

I don't really think it's a terrible port. It's the worst version of Ninja Gaiden, and the 30 FPS part really sucks, but it's not buggy, and I haven't really experienced any slowdown on normal. We'll see when I finish and start on a higher level. Either way, I'm glad to have bought it.

You probably won't get much slowdown on normal, it's only when things get crazy.

But bugs?

fwiw, i found this on gamefaqs:

Bad news for me...chapter 11, I killed the helicopter and took out the radio tower which all was not as frustrating as I thought it would be on normal. On my way to the control room to leave and the door is locked... Hhmmm,, must need a key? I go back and check around. No key to be found. Checked out a walkthrough and one of the guards before the door I remember glitching off the screen had the key!! Reloaded save and enemies werent there. save before that was very end of chapter ten.. Not going through that mess again.

This is a notoriously confusing part where you randomly have to back track, then go back and fight the same enemies again to get a key....but he follows this up saying he kept trying that and the key won't pop up, so he's stuck.

Maybe it's because I'm not a "purist", but the game plays well, looks great, has loads of content and it's still one of the best action games available. It's well worth the asking price IMO.

30fps? Why? Marvel manged 60FPS, and so did rayman?

Easier than sigma?

Bad and ill thought out motion controls?

Sounds like team ninja dog strike again.

I was planning to get this when it came down in price but I'll give it a miss now. Thanks OP.

Skilletor

30fps?

Easier than sigma?

I was planning to get this when it came down in price but I'll give it a miss now. Thanks OP.

It's exactly the same as sigma as far as difficulty.

The motion controls can be turned off.

OP I'm almost certain I've turned off gyro aiming.

matmanx1

And yet the game is still very fun and sports some of the best image quality of the launch Vita titles. Most of the OP's complaints are only valid if you've played the original version and I haven't so I'm having a blast.

Regardless of the quality of the game, that's one of the worst and trolltastic OT's ever.

trolltastic? I'm recommending the game at a lower price point and added caveats to the problems. It's an 8 year old game though...the only thing left to talk about is the port job.

Kai Dracon

30fps? Why? Marvel manged 60FPS, and so did rayman?

Easier than sigma?

I will say, Marvel runs at 60fps with massively chopped down graphics - lower geometry, inferior textures, most animation in the backgrounds removed. I think that is partly because it's rushed though.

Sigma is nearly identical to the PS3 version. People seem to be forgetting the Vita is NOT as powerful as the PS3 outright. Squeezing the game without compromise of animation, detail, visual assets, and running locked at 30fps, is not a "shitty" job. Especially as a launch title.

In time, with more optimization, I think they might be able to port something like Sigma 2 at 60fps, just as it's looking like the Vita version of Street Fighter X Tekken won't have severely downgraded graphics and stage animation.

SmokyDave

I'm on the fence with this one. I wanted it, but 30FPS with occasional slowdowns means I'll probably wait for a sale on the PSN version.

If every other enemy drops blue essence after you beat them, then it's easier than sigma.

Blue essence is liquid gold once you have perfected your on-landing UT skills. To a seasoned NG player, that's like giving them a "I win" button.

I will say, Marvel runs at 60fps with massively chopped down graphics - lower geometry, inferior textures, most animation in the backgrounds removed. I think that is partly because it's rushed though.

Sigma is nearly identical to the PS3 version. People seem to be forgetting the Vita is NOT as powerful as the PS3 outright. Squeezing the game without compromise of animation, detail, visual assets, and running locked at 30fps, is not a "shitty" job. Especially as a launch title.

In time, with more optimization, I think they might be able to port something like Sigma 2 at 60fps, just as it's looking like the Vita version of Street Fighter X Tekken won't have severely downgraded graphics and stage animation.

I'm going to sound like a bit of a purist here but for me for action games and fighters 60FPS is vital. I'd much rather take mavels approach than sigmas.

At least with marvel it's a port of a year old game. People have been playing the base NG for 8 years now. While I'm sure there many who have never touched the series, most have played this before. 30FPS for whatever reason is an instant turnoff.

it's not locked at all, there's slowdown once you get to harder fights. 30fps was a time compromise. There's no way this game couldn't have been 60fps.

Skilletor

If every other enemy drops blue essence after you beat them, then it's easier than sigma.

Blue essence is liquid gold once you have perfected your on-landing UT skills. To a seasoned NG player, that's like giving them a "I win" button.

The same enemies drop blue essence as in ninja gaiden sigma. I haven't played it in awhile, but I remember thinking sigma easier than black because of this.

I could be wrong, but it seems the same.

it's much easier. The only control options are touch shooting or button shooting. You can't turn off the gyro aim at all. You can only turn off the touch-to-shoot control.

The same enemies drop blue essence as in ninja gaiden sigma. I haven't played it in awhile, but I remember thinking sigma easier than black because of this.

I could be wrong, but it seems the same.

no no no, blue orbs had a much lower drop rate in sigma. This is every few enemies and it doesn't matter if you're full health, they still come out all the time. I think it's a fixed drop rate.

Kai Dracon

it's not locked at all, there's slowdown once you get to harder fights. 30fps was a time compromise. There's no way this game couldn't have been 60fps.

Then I haven't gotten in a position to frame drop yet. I'm just speaking of experience so far.

Even so, I stand by the port being as polished as possible given that. There's a lot that could have been janky and shitty, including horrible loading everywhere (hello almost every other Vita launch title).

Didn't mention the motion controls since most of that can just be turned off outright.

Then I haven't gotten in a position to frame drop yet. I'm just speaking of experience so far.

Even so, I stand by the port being as polished as possible given that. There's a lot that could have been janky and shitty, including horrible loading everywhere (hello almost every other Vita launch title).

Didn't mention the motion controls since most of that can just be turned off outright.

no, none of the motion controls can be turned off. only touch shooting can be turned off.

lets get that out of the way because you guys keep saying that, but it's not true at all.

Drencrom

trolltastic? I'm recommending the game at a lower price point and added caveats to the problems. It's an 8 year old game though...the only thing left to talk about is the port job.

Good points, the tone of the OT is a little to harsh though.
Seems like a pretty bland port nonetheless.

zroid

Banned
Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita.

I'm not really one to make a stink about framerate unless it's actually visibly choppy (ie, much, much lower than 30fps).

But even if I had a Vita, there is no way I would be triple dipping here. Uninspired console ports on portables can bite me. I made a rare exception with Ocarina 3D just because I had never actually finished the game before and the visuals got a relatively huge overhaul.

another fun bullet point:

--Ryu's reverse wind jump now homes in on dead bodies - this is super annoying. In the others, if you kill a guy, he won't auto jump towards them after the last hit. In this one, you have to wait for the enemy to disappear or else you'll jump at his dead body on the ground. Supremely annoying when you're fighting 5 enemies at once.

another fun bullet point:

--Ryu's reverse wind jump now homes in on dead bodies - this is super annoying. In the others, if you kill a guy, he won't auto jump towards them after the last hit. In this one, you have to wait for the enemy to disappear or else you'll jump at his dead body on the ground. Supremely annoying when you're fighting 5 enemies at once.

This is a strange one. Why would hayashi change this? Seems more like all the stuff they added broke this part of the game and they didn't realise.

So what happens if you guillotine throw and it's an instant kill and you go to do it to the next guy?

This is a strange one. Why would hayashi change this? Seems more like all the stuff they added broke this part of the game.

So what happens if you guillotine throw and it's and instant kill and you go to do it to the next guyA?

you jump at the guy you just threw. you have to wait for the body to disappear. yeah, it breaks the flow of combat all the time and is a really, really weird change.

i wonder if it's a bug.

I wonder if this game will get patched/upgraded at all? that would be nice.

Grinchy

Banned
Not only is it a good thread title, but the info in the OT is both entertaining and informative. Bravo. And it's not 6 posts long with measurements of the game cart in millimeters, and a separate picture for every bit.

Top Bottom