• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sigma is my preferred version of NG1 by a fair margin, the removal/streamlining of puzzles and improved bow controls does it for me. Honestly the minor loading problems and occasional tearing don't bother me in the slightest. What does, however, is the painfully slow save system on the ps3.
NG2/S2 is a different story, I really can't choose between them. There are tons of things I love/hate about both. S2 probably comes out slightly ahead though. :p

30fps for Plus hurts, but I do understand why they did it. The Vita just isn't as powerful as the PS3, not by a long shot. If they ported Black, it would be a different story...

kodt

Banned
I've never played NG, but didn't they make it a bit easier (enhancements, tap to shoot bow) because the game would be too difficult on a handheld otherwise? (smaller analogs, smaller screen, etc..)

I've thrown controllers but I'd rather not throw my Vita.

Don't tell me you're one of those people... that whine about lack of gore?

Hayashi's rebalance of Sigma 2 on higher difficulties far outweighs the bad, IMO. But Team Mission Mode was bullshit on the Master Ninja level (TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL EXPLOIT TO GOLD!), yeah.

no, i don't care about the gore. :\ it was the game design, just felt boring to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'll stipulate Sigma 2 sucks if you stipulate vanilla 2 also sucks.

NG2 is such a disastrous rush job. Most of Hayashi's ideas don't even work (online coop lagfest), but it's still better than some of NG2's boss abortions. People are like HAHA TEAM NINJA DOG but Itagaki's team ninja put out games with the fucking fish boss and the fucking worm boss and the two dragons boss.

Meier

I'm not a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden to be honest so I don't think I'll ever get this but I had to come in to give props on the thread title. Super clever.

NG2 is such a disastrous rush job. Most of Hayashi's ideas don't even work (online coop lagfest), but it's still better than some of NG2's boss abortions. People are like HAHA TEAM NINJA DOG but Itagaki's team ninja put out games with the fucking fish boss and the fucking worm boss and the two dragons boss.

Sure, I can agree with that. We all saw what went down, lots of turmoil around that game! The sexual harassment lawsuit, problems with Tecmo, then plopping it out and leaving right after.

i don't know if I'd say NG2 is worse, but I felt like it was further along the path of being the true NG2, if that makes sense. Where Sigma 2 was like "lets salvage this."

But I think I'm gonna give Sigma 2 another run through, maybe go for MNM

I'm not a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden to be honest so I don't think I'll ever get this but I had to come in to give props on the thread title. Super clever.

thanks mang :)

MCD

All these bosses have nothing on Izuna Dropping Genshin.

Way to break the game, Hayashi.

MjFrancis

Even Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden was originally shipped with a final boss that could be defeated with the sly strategy of pressing forward jump + Y ad infinitum. How that got past the play testers I can never fathom.

Even Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden was originally shipped with a final boss that could be defeated with the sly strategy of pressing forward jump + Y ad infinitum. How that got past the play testers I can never fathom.

it's gonna take him a lot of listens to the armageddon soundtrack to get back to normal if he ever plays this version.

MjFrancis

If it wasn't fixed in future iterations I would have supposed Itagaki did it on purpose to provide players with a well deserved break and a feeling of invincibility that was lacking in the previous chapters of the game.

TheExodu5

Banned

I spent very little time with NGS1 and NG2, so my opinion on that matter doesn't hold much weight, but there is one big thing that stood out in NG2 that I really hated: ranged and flying enemies. It felt like over half the enemies were either ranged or had to be killed with the bow. To me, Ninja Gaiden is a game that shines in it's deep and satisfying melee combat. NG2 just wasn't designed around the mechanic's strengths at all, or so it seemed.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^And that's one of the reasons why I never finished it. I loved NG1, played it to death but the second one felt like sections that didn't gel just put together to separate it from the first.

The testers probably never made it past the Horse Boss on stage 2! =D

Skilletor

So if I've never played the original, would this be a good port to pick up?

If you want to play the game on a handheld, yes. It's still a good game and worth playing. If it being portable doesn't matter to you, then pick up Sigma on PS3 (or NG: B on Xbox if that's possible).

i finished all NG's on master ninja

the 360 version on MNM was pretty over the top.

the FIRST checkpoint with the explody shuriken guys is harder then a lot of "hard" games in their entirety.

Seik

Banned
I was still on the fence about buying it since I knew it was 30FPS only.

Now I'm pretty much convinced that I won't buy it...:/

Unless I find it for really cheap.

I cracked.

Just bought it to someone here on GAF. I just want some Ninja Gaiden shit on my Vita! D:

Finally got Rachel last slutty costume.

d6uGj.jpg

9TgOe.jpg

Jigsaw

Banned
just started playing this and got my ass handed in the 4th mission of the tutorial set XD

damn,i forgot how hard this game was even on normal

but it looks and runs amazing,load times could be shorter though

ultim8p00

Banned
At what point are people going to realize that Hayashi is the worst possible thing to have happened to Ninja Gaiden?

Is there a NG game that he has not butchered?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Couldn't much of the game be easy moded with Dat Flying Swallow Slash?

The costume stats are an utter mindfuck.

On one of them it sez:
"Increase health gauge"
"Decrease defense"

Wouldn't these things just cancel each other out?

whitehawk

Banned
Wish I had of read this thread before I bought the game. Never playing Ninja Gaiden so I figured why not. Trading it in tomorrow before it loses trade in value.

Skilletor

Wish I had of read this thread before I bought the game. Never playing Ninja Gaiden so I figured why not. Trading it in tomorrow before it loses trade in value.

You should play it. It's a good game. Even on vita. You won't notice anything wrong with the game if you've never played it before.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

why would you do that? NGS is a great game.

people bitch about every version of NG in every NG thread ever. it's best just to ignore them until you've played enough of the games to make your own opinion.

Jigsaw

Banned
have you guys noticed they finally swapped the action button from [ ] to O? this means you no longer pass doors on accident while in the middle of a combo like in black or ps3 sigma :O

why would you do that? NGS is a great game.

people bitch about every version of NG in every NG thread ever. it's best just to ignore them until you've played enough of the games to make your own opinion.

:) ...

only vita game besides uncharted i've really liked, & contains a whole lotta very pretty content for $35...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heh, just started this and finished the 1st level. I've only beaten the vanilla version but I enjoyed playing through the first level (Vita) at least. Then I read the OP and it made me think twice.

I think if you havent played Ninja Gaiden before or haven't played it in forever like me, you'll still enjoy it

I bought it after being assured it's a sharp port and was not disappointed. Nope, I don't care about 30fps because: 1 - it's damn smooth, locked, and 2 - this is NOT an 8 year old game. It's a port of the PS3 version that had noticeably upgraded visuals. As far as I can tell, it's a nearly perfect port of a PS3 game. And it's very optimized. No extra loading or pauses, no breaks in polish and presentation.

I can accept that as a launch title. It's not like there's a lot of competition, but it is effectively the best action battle game on a portable system.

Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita.

I did my time and beat NGB with honors. Game plays fine.

Great post and I couldn't agree more. I just decided to download this since I'm itching for a portable action title after picking up the fantastic DMCHD Collection.

My jaw is still on the floor and I felt the need to pause the game to post this. I honestly feel a bit sorry for people that can't get past niggling details when something truly amazing is staring them in the face (like a great port of a current generation game on a handheld). I almost feel like posting a link to Louis CK's rant about amazing things right here.

Oh well, I gave up really caring about this stuff a long time ago. Good thing too...there was a time that I probably would have heeded delusional rants in threads like this and missed out on this gem!

My jaw is still on the floor and I felt the need to pause the game to post this. I honestly feel a bit sorry for people that can't get past niggling details when something truly amazing is staring them in the face (like a great port of a current generation game on a handheld). I almost feel like posting a link to Louis CK's rant about amazing things right here.

Oh well, I gave up really caring about this stuff a long time ago. Good thing too...there was a time that I probably would have heeded delusional rants in threads like this and missed out on this gem!

so a game gets ported with a bunch of broken or missing things that were in all previous versions and people are supposed to love it unconditionally? Ooookay.

not only that, but you clearly care enough to misread negative comments as "don't buy this" when I've disclaimed that its still good, but a shit port, thus downgraded from god tier to "just pretty good."

Overall: Ninja Gaiden 1 was awesome, Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my top games of all time. Sigma was a back step, Sigma Plus is a further back step. But these are back steps from my favorite game of all time, so I'd call it merely a pretty good game, though the worst in the series of NG1 with a bunch of WTF decisions thrown in.

classic shit, missing/ignoring any nuance and throwing in "i don't care" coupled with a rant. just sayin'

AiTM

Banned
Just beat this game for the first time...I feel like Dark Souls drew heavily from this. The level design, the bosses, the swordplay. It just felt very similar. Such a great game.

I chose to play this on Vita because of the screen, and after playing the Sigma demo on PS3, the OLED screen adds alot to it. The framerate dipped one time and only for 2 seconds. Other than that it was very smooth the entire time. The only part that gave my trouble was where I had to use the bow to fight the helicopter and rocket guys. Other than that, it was a great experiences on the Vita.

Now Im gonna go finish NG3 and remind myself how bad things have gotten.

theBishop

Banned
Should I buy this, if I already have Sigma on PS3 and couldn't be bothered to finish it?

I like the idea of an action game on Vita, and those Xbox-era graphics hold up fairly well. But it just seems like a waste of money.

Does she have peanut butter on her boobs or something?

beehives!

Should I buy this, if I already have Sigma on PS3 and couldn't be bothered to finish it?

I like the idea of an action game on Vita, and those Xbox-era graphics hold up fairly well. But it just seems like a waste of money.

if you're gonna play through the modes + missions, this is pretty worth it, though $29 or less seems more fair for sloppy 5ths

so a game gets ported with a bunch of broken or missing things that were in all previous versions and people are supposed to love it unconditionally? Ooookay.

not only that, but you clearly care enough to misread negative comments as "don't buy this" when I've disclaimed that its still good, but a shit port, thus downgraded from god tier to "just pretty good."
'

I've said it before...fill your boots and keep fightin' the good fight. I'll be at the bar!

OmegaZero

So I finished my first playthrough and thought I'd post a few (unflattering) screenshots:

nmist.jpg

ivDAj.jpg

sGc3n.jpg

Also, an interesting glitch.
I was at the military base stage, near the hanger and encountered two machine gun towers.
Naturally, I shot them with arrows.

I shot the left guy in the head, but messed up when I was aiming at the right tower and hit the tower itself instead, knocking the guard and the turrent down somehow:

ZVF5T.jpg

After I killed the other enemies, the turrent-guard remained...standing still without attacking:

PTCcF.jpg

mEbGn.jpg

Even when I hit him, he wouldn't respond:

5hWfO.jpg

rdA8H.jpg

But yeah, first playthrough of my first Ninja Gaiden game done. On to Hard mode!

Revan

I bought it after being assured it's a sharp port and was not disappointed. Nope, I don't care about 30fps because: 1 - it's damn smooth, locked, and 2 - this is NOT an 8 year old game. It's a port of the PS3 version that had noticeably upgraded visuals. As far as I can tell, it's a nearly perfect port of a PS3 game. And it's very optimized. No extra loading or pauses, no breaks in polish and presentation.

I can accept that as a launch title. It's not like there's a lot of competition, but it is effectively the best action battle game on a portable system.

Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita.

I did my time and beat NGB with honors. Game plays fine.

"Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita." <--- Can someone explain to me what this means (the part that is italicized)? The clarity I get but what does IQ mean?

And I agree - NGS+ is pretty fuckin amazing on the Vita. No slowdowns, no framerate issues.....other then the incredibly annoying Bow controls it's almost a perfect port.

Top Bottom