• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course

"Except it's not a shitty port. People should not be dicks about 60fps in this one. The game is polished sharply, with damn near the best IQ and clarity on the Vita." <--- Can someone explain to me what this means (the part that is italicized)? The clarity I get but what does IQ mean?

And I agree - NGS+ is pretty fuckin amazing on the Vita. No slowdowns, no framerate issues.....other then the incredibly annoying Bow controls it's almost a perfect port.

"IQ" = overall image quality. aliasing, resolution, gamma, color balance, contrast/brightness balance etc.

Good to see first timers enjoying the game!

but "no framerate issues" lol oy vey. thread backfire on me

Revan

"IQ" = overall image quality. aliasing, resolution, gamma, color balance, contrast/brightness balance etc.

Good to see first timers enjoying the game!

but "no framerate issues" lol oy vey. thread backfire on me

I haven't come across any framerate issues during my playthroughs...mind you I haven't hit MN yet so...

I'm not a first timer - I've never played the NG/NGB or NG2 but I do have Sigma and Sigma 2 for the PS3 and have played the hell out of them. The biggest complaint I have are the controls from the Dualshock 3 to the Vita - mostly the size of the Vita. I hadn't played either of the NGS games in a while, picked up NGS+ and struggled with the controls....after that I went back to NGS for the PS3 and FLEW through the game at light speed on MN (and found it much easier oddly enough then the Vita version - controls on a DS3 vs Vita and much tighter and fluid IMHO).

Thanks for the clarification on the IQ thing - I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads now and have wondered what the hell it meant lol.

EDIT: I hated.....HATED NG3 for the record. Not an NG game and nowhere near a standard vanilla action game. So much of it felt so very very wrong. NG3 should have been a handheld game lol - the streamlining of it makes much more sense for handheld device as opposed to a console game.

I'm not a first timer - I've never played the NG/NGB or NG2 but I do have Sigma and Sigma 2 for the PS3 and have played the hell out of them. The biggest complaint I have are the controls from the Dualshock 3 to the Vita - mostly the size of the Vita. I hadn't played either of the NGS games in a while, picked up NGS+ and struggled with the controls....after that I went back to NGS for the PS3 and FLEW through the game at light speed on MN (and found it much easier oddly enough then the Vita version - controls on a DS3 vs Vita and much tighter and fluid IMHO).

cool, i was talking to whoever was saying it was their first time

OmegaZero

cool, i was talking to whoever was saying it was their first time

Assuming that's me.
I honestly can't believe I skipped this series when it came out. I have yet to complete Hard mode, but if the higher difficulty modes change things up as much, then I will love this just as much as (if not more then) DMC3.

Now if only I could kill those Spider Clan Ninjas before the timer runs out. >_>

Assuming that's me.
I honestly can't believe I skipped this series when it came out. I have yet to complete Hard mode, but if the higher difficulty modes change things up as much, then I will love this just as much as (if not more then) DMC3.

Now if only I could kill those Spider Clan Ninjas before the timer runs out. >_>

That's what I like to see! people playing correctly! I was gonna point you to my ng1 thread, but I see you were the last one to post in it.

It's such a hard call to make between NG and DMC3. They both have perfect combat, but in different ways. Then it comes down to tiebreaker stuff like platforming, story, cutscenes, etc. which i barely even think about when playing these games.

OmegaZero

That's what I like to see! people playing correctly! I was gonna point you to my ng1 thread, but I see you were the last one to post in it.

It's such a hard call to make between NG and DMC3. They both have perfect combat, but in different ways. Then it comes down to tiebreaker stuff like platforming, story, cutscenes, etc. which i barely even think about when playing these games.

Yeah, displaying the karma score pretty much changed the way I played. In a good way, of course.

Also, about the more technical aspects of that combat FAQ by aaxe (like the in-depth discussions): I noticed it was for Ninja Gaiden Black, so will that stuff still apply to Sigma, or should I just focus on the more general things like "when to use this"?

Yeah, displaying the karma score pretty much changed the way I played. In a good way, of course.

Also, about the more technical aspects of that combat FAQ by aaxe (like the in-depth discussions): I noticed it was for Ninja Gaiden Black, so will that stuff still apply to Sigma, or should I just focus on the more general things like "when to use this"?

there are probably small differences and it doesn't include the sigma weapons, obviously, but those were tacked on anyway and jumping bow shot can make a lot of parts easier. I imagine 99% of it still works.

OmegaZero

Thought I'd post another glitch I found for this.
In Ninja Trials mode, on the first mission of Path of the Master Ninja, I decided to select the Kitetsu. Everything was going well and good until I tried the dashing square attack:
upWYc.jpg

...which surprised me, since it rendered me immobile and wide open. I cleared the area of enemies and tried again, same result (images aren't shown in direct chronological order, btw):
1LphM.jpg

C3IkH.jpg

I discovered that when you do the dashing attack, he immediately faces the opposite direction and does that pose.

2NY7x.jpg

O9Lk7.jpg

Revan

Question for those who own the game - how the hell do you delete saved games? I can't for the life of my figure it out (there is nothing listed in the System settings and I can't seem to find a way to do it within the game proper).

In Ninja Trials mode, on the first mission of Path of the Master Ninja, I decided to select the Kitetsu. Everything was going well and good until I tried the dashing square attack:
upWYc.jpg

...which surprised me, since it rendered me immobile and wide open. I cleared the area of enemies and tried again, same result (images aren't shown in direct chronological order, btw):
http://i.imgur.com/1LphM.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/C3IkH.jpg[/IG]

I discovered that when you do the dashing attack, he immediately faces the opposite direction and does that pose.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2NY7x.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/O9Lk7.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

this happens every time?

lol, going into default 3D model pose like in that one glitchy basketball game. never saw a glitch like this in another version of the game. Except that one time when an ogre floated to the roof and stayed there.

and this the other day (Ryu shaking his head):

[url]http://minus.com/m8sSXJj4O/[/url]

OmegaZero

Question for those who own the game - how the hell do you delete saved games? I can't for the life of my figure it out (there is nothing listed in the System settings and I can't seem to find a way to do it within the game proper).

It looks like the only way to delete saved games is to delete the game bubble (which also deletes the game).
You can overwrite saves but I don't think you can delete them directly.

upWYc.jpg

1LphM.jpg

C3IkH.jpg

2NY7x.jpg

O9Lk7.jpg

LOL, is this NBA Live? Jesus Ryu?

A bit late to the party but thanks to PS plus I managed to finally play this game more. I only played up to 3 chapters on the original on xbox. I will say this that I question why this is one of the best action game ever. The battle mechanics and AI is very good but the game is plagued by some questionable design choices. Like the forced use of bow which is difficult to aim. At some missions you have to hit the enemy precise which is very difficult to do without first person aiming, and on the vita the controls are even worse. Also not to forget the clumsy camera and bad platforming. I don't see myself replaying this on a higher difficult due to that.
That helicopter boss was beyond terrible and fighting Alma was not as legendary as I hoped it for me due to the hype.
These bad design choices makes the game a chore which is a shame since the battle system is amazing. Does Ninja Gaiden 2 force you also to use the bow (with terrible controls and aiming) in order to continue the story?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mash R/RT/R2 = Camera solved.

Bows always been bad, but in NG2 outside of like one segment that's similar to NG1's tower/tank battle, you DO NOT have to manually fire it. You can simply jump/fire/jump/fire/jump/fire and generally kill people with it pretty well.

Mash R/RT/R2 = Camera solved.

Bows always been bad, but in NG2 outside of like one segment that's similar to NG1's tower/tank battle, you DO NOT have to manually fire it. You can simply jump/fire/jump/fire/jump/fire and generally kill people with it pretty well.

Well I don't mind using it on tanks and choppers it is just hitting guards on a far away tower (radio tower of chapter 10 with rockets being fired rather quickly) that is the biggest problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, that's a failure of the gyro/stick combined controls here. Stick isn't too bad in Sigma/Black for those segments.

storafötter;47374374 said:
Well I don't mind using it on tanks and choppers it is just hitting guards on a far away tower (radio tower of chapter 10 with rockets being fired rather quickly) that is the biggest problem.

I am stuck on the radio tower now on my MN run. Everything before that was a breeze, but I cant do that part for the life of me.

OmegaZero

In my opinion, the tower was made much easier by the touch controls in this game.
You tap on an enemy while aiming the bow and Ryu will shoot it.

Dereck

It takes some getting used too and the touch screen isn't as accurate as I would like
The accuracy of the touch screen is garbage, it works...sometimes. I have large hands and fingers, the best way for me to get past that part was to shoot all of the lights and just ignore the grenade guys. They're bigger targets so they aren't as hard to shoot.

Ninja Dom

Just got this on PS+ for the Vita. It's the only version of Ninja Gaiden 1 that I've not played. I played the OG one and Black on Xbox and Sigma on PS3.

It's a bit fiddly at first. But I got used to it pretty quickly. Started my Hard playthrough. We'll see how this goes.

Jimrpg

Downloaded the game from PS Plus, There's a ton of graphical issues with the game alone in the first chapter... things like missing graphical textures and random objects that obstruct your view but you can pass through, both outdoors and indoors... just feels like the game is alpha stage and unfinished graphically.

Otherwise game is fine, the 30fps is fine as well... i don't remember the 60fps of the original to be honest.

Cloudy

Banned
Got this via PS+ plus a while back and started playing it today on a whim. It's really fun.

PS: I remember the camera being horrific on the xbox version. Did they add controls?

Vita needs more ports like this

Top Bottom