• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces a "Revolution"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/06/09/nintendo.console.ap/index.html

Nintendo developing new home game console

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Nintendo Co., which dominates the portable video-game machine market, said Wednesday it is developing a new home game console code-named "Revolution" in an apparent attempt to catch up with rival Sony.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata refused to give details, saying he feared competitors will steal the plan, but said a prototype, which will be shown next year, will deliver "new ideas" for entertainment and won't be merely a more powerful version of its current Game Cube machine.

Iwata reiterated his view that Nintendo should not follow the strategy of Sony, which is working on a more powerful chip to drive its next-generation home game machine.

He said the gaming industry is reaching a dead end as its past formula for success -- dazzling consumers with more sophisticated imagery -- no longer works. Game sales have been declining for years in Japan, and growth has been slowing even in the more solid U.S. market, he said.

"What we need is not a next-generation machine but a next-generation way of playing games," Iwata told reporters at a Tokyo hotel. "We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis."

Global sales of the Nintendo Game Cube at 15 million lag Sony's PlayStation 2, which dominates the home console market with more than 71 million sold worldwide. U.S. software giant Microsoft Corp. had sold nearly 14 million of its Xbox worldwide as of the end of last year.

Nintendo, the Kyoto-based manufacturer behind the Super Mario and Pokemon games, is also facing competition from Sony in handheld game machines, a market it dominates with its Game Boy Advance.

Sony says it will start selling a portable version of its PlayStation machine later this year in Japan and overseas at a later date.

To counter that threat, Nintendo is planning a new portable game machine for later this year in the United States and Japan. The Nintendo DS, which stands for "dual screen," adds a new twist to its handheld GameBoy Advance by having two color liquid-crystal displays.

That allows players to see a close-up on one monitor and an overall map on the other in some games, or use one as a touch-panel to turn or move figures in other games, as well as relay scribbled messages to another player through a wireless connection.

"Double screens and touch panels are not new technologies," Iwata said. "The idea of using them for a game machine is new."

Takashi Oka, an analyst at UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. in Tokyo, said Nintendo will likely hold up against the threat from Sony's offerings because of its ability to come up with good game software. Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.

"Nintendo's power in creating game software is still going strong," Oka said. "I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo."

------

Has this been posted already?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The CNN story is new, but it doesn't say anything new. Just regugitates what hardcore gamers have known for a week or more.

Just like most mainstream press reporting on games, in fact.

Sumasshu

Takashi Oka, an analyst at UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. in Tokyo, said Nintendo will likely hold up against the threat from Sony's offerings because of its ability to come up with good game software. Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.
:laughing

GDJustin said:
The CNN story is new, but it doesn't say anything new. Just regugitates what hardcore gamers have known for a week or more.

Just like most mainstream press reporting on games, in fact.

Not to mention this has already been posted here today. So now it's triple old news.

impirius

OMG REVOLUTION ISN'T THE CODENAME THAT WAS JUST THOUGHT UP BY KIDDIE NINTENDORK FANBOY REGGIES

With that out of the way...

I'm digging Nintendo's focus on changing the way we play. I think they're overstating the "crisis", but they're right about bigger/better/faster alone not cutting it anymore. I just hope that the new philosophy doesn't involve a whole bunch of peripherals to buy.

GigaDrive

Banned
bomb bomb

Revolution PICTURE! (ekaf)

n5.jpg

cool huh? :p

Chrono

Banned
Didn't want to start a topic for this, some tidbits: (link)

- nintendo said the "revolution" will be revlealed at E3 2005. I hope that includes at least gameplay footage...

- the revolution will be able to connect to both TVs AND computer monitors... why would Nintendo include this option? most people play games on their TVs. Unless:

online games are gonna be a solid part of the Nintendo revolution and you can access the Nintendo servers for, say mario kart for example, through your pc using its own hardrives and net connection?

since it can hook up to PC monitors as well, one has to wonder if the Revolution will be able to multitask. would be pretty cool if you can do multiple things with the system since it's hooked up to more than one screen. maybe games will take advantage of that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think people are stretching it a little when talking about Revolution using your PC to connect to the internet, or for the hard-disk, or even for a second display, DS-style. I'm pretty sure it's just an alternative display option. Nintendo, and other Revolution developers, cannot bank on every user having a PC, and thus could not develop games that would make one mandatory. At very most, the functionality may extend to allowing output to two screens simultaneously to avoid splitting the screen (too much) in multiplayer - but even then you could still play with one screen, just with more players one the one screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cybamerc said:
That it can connect to a PC monitor just means it has DVI out.

Exactly. Though I do think it odd that they would just mention that spontaneously as if it were something significant. Did someone ask about that specifically, and is that why they said it? I'd love to hear the context.

fse

Mutilple screens for Revolution, or ... maybe... its something kin to DS's pictochat type thing... ?

ManaByte

Gold Member
He said the gaming industry is reaching a dead end as its past formula for success -- dazzling consumers with more sophisticated imagery -- no longer works. Game sales have been declining for years in Japan, and growth has been slowing even in the more solid U.S. market, he said.

"What we need is not a next-generation machine but a next-generation way of playing games," Iwata told reporters at a Tokyo hotel. "We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis."

Translation: By using the "Phantom" business model we can Revolutionize the industry with our wireless WiFi console that can download 8, 16, and 64-bit games over the internet for a very small fee! You may already own these classic games, but you'll be able to play them in a whole new way for a very small fee!

So what's this crisis in gaming again? 'cuz I have MORE FUCKING GREAT GAMES TO PLAY ON MY NON-NINTENDO CONSOLES AND PC THIS MONTH THAN I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD.

Oh yeah, the "crisis" is that Nintendo (and its supporters) can't deal with its decreasing market relevance, despite continuing to make money. See ya, Nintendo; don't let the door smack your decrepit ass on your way out, and don't trip over my PS2/Xbox controller cords while I PLAY ALL THESE GREAT GAMES either.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So what's this crisis in gaming again? 'cuz I have MORE FUCKING GREAT GAMES TO PLAY ON MY NON-NINTENDO CONSOLES AND PC THIS MONTH THAN I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD.

Oh yeah, the "crisis" is that Nintendo (and its supporters) can't deal with its decreasing market relevance, despite continuing to make money. See ya, Nintendo; don't let the door smack your decrepit ass on your way out, and don't trip over my PS2/Xbox controller cords while I PLAY ALL THESE GREAT GAMES either.

DrinkyCrow is teh bias, otherwise he would know that Nintendo, like Willy Wonka, only does things for YOUR benefit. Also, Nintendo is the only console company that realizes how much we hate better graphics. Frankly, anything north of ColecoVision is sinful. LET'S REGRESS! DEVOLUTION!

Drinky Crow said:

:lol Exactly.

stinkles said:
DrinkyCrow is teh bias, otherwise he would know that Nintendo, like Willy Wonka, only does things for YOUR benefit. Also, Nintendo is the only console company that realizes how much we hate better graphics. Frankly, anything north of ColecoVision is sinful. LET'S REGRESS! DEVOLUTION!

:lol

akascream

Banned
If there are so many great PS2 games, might aswell not bother with PS3. And extra capability beyond better graphics? What a rip off! ;)

SantaC

I am not sure about this english, but what does won't be merely mean? "Revolution" won't be more powerful than gamecube?

will deliver "new ideas" for entertainment and won't be merely a more powerful version of its current Game Cube machine.

HooDoo

It means the next Nintendo console will not only be more powerfull than the current ont but will add new things.

akascream

Banned
Whats the point when the PC platform is always ahead of consoles anyway. Sure, you want to upgrade, but why lose a bunch of money on hardware for technology that will be obsolete in 6 months.

explodet

akascream said:
Whats the point when the PC platform is always ahead of consoles anyway. Sure, you want to upgrade, but why lose a bunch of money on hardware for technology that will be obsolete in 6 months.
Yeah, that PS2 game I bought yesterday won't work on the obsolete PS2 I bought three years ago...

Wait, what?

MightyHedgehog said:
:lol Exactly.

:lol

known xbots going at it in a Nintendo thread is hilarious. If you'd play their games; Nintendo/Sony are the only cos with more than one *cough* 1st party that makes AAA games.

I say OLD NEWS

but

VIVA LA!!!

* and haters can lick tingles ass

tingle.jpg

explodet

I don't play games for the graphics.
And if you don't want your PC to become obsolete, you have to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade, which isn't exactly inexpensive.

But we're getting off topic, this is about that wonderful new console that everyone seems to be looking forward to.

*looks up*

Oh, wait.

Why do so many care about Iwata's comments, they don't affect the majority of the complainers. There is somewhat of a crisis in Japan, the U.S is different. But I think whoever translated his words made some mistakes, he just may be speaking about Nintendo specifically.

madara

Dang that wording makes it sound more on the gimmick Virtual Boy side then anything that real gamer would find refreshing..Please be wrong..this is about it for big N, then need to deliver.

Kon Tiki

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Sounds like it will be a mild upgrade from the GameCube technically. It's not their focus like it is Sony's or Microsoft's.
Since when has MS shifted focus from Windows to Xbox?

Gamecube is just as much as a 'side project' as xbox is.

Hey people laghed at the DS when it was announced and called it "Virtua Boy 2" . But I'm glad Nintendo's trying something different.
Anything's better than having 3 consoles that play ports of the same games.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
seismologist said:
Anything's better than having 3 consoles that play ports of the same games.
Amen to that.

And Drinky Crow, I'm surprised that you in particular can't see the beauty of this win-win situation for people like you and me: if Nintendo succeeds, the Revolution will offer interesting new gameplay possibilities; if it fails, we're one step closer to the ever-elusive yet always-enticing ONE CONSOLE DREAM.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Drinky Crow said:

so you're happy with all the games you can play, but that's not the point.
Game sales have been declining for years in Japan, and growth has been slowing even in the more solid U.S. market, he said.
Just because you're happy with the library of games you can play on non-Nintendo consoles doesn't change that fact.

Dragmire

Satoru Iwata's comments are not Americentric (new word). All he said about the US is that the growth is slowing, which it is. It was booming for a while during the N64 era, now it's not. It's an important fact considering that there are three major consoles now. Those two consoles in second and third are going to be more concerned about growth than Sony and their arse-dwelling zombie monkeys.

This old, dated thread does bring up a good point though. We haven't heard naught of Revolution for months. Alas, Nintendo's focus resides on Ds' launch. Until then.

Sysgen

Iwata reiterated his view that Nintendo should not follow the strategy of Sony, which is working on a more powerful chip to drive its next-generation home game machine. He said the gaming industry is reaching a dead end as its past formula for success -- dazzling consumers with more sophisticated imagery -- no longer works. Game sales have been declining for years in Japan, and growth has been slowing even in the more solid U.S. market, he said. "What we need is not a next-generation machine but a next-generation way of playing games," Iwata told reporters at a Tokyo hotel. "We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis."

Why is he blaming slow growth on consoles and graphics? Perhaps it's the games themselves, which to me seems more likely. Perhaps other factors like price points, piracy etc... To say that Nintendo should not follow the strategy of SONY seems silly. In the end, the truth is it's always about the games, but if your too far behind the competition graphically your're not likely to gain much market share. Looking at MS it's quite amazing what they pulled off given the paucity of decent titles through the 1st year of the Xbox. They were able to at least get a foothold becuase of the promise of great graphics, not some gimmick. His "gimmick" better be good.

Top Bottom