• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2013

HYDE

Banned
Mega Man 5/6 need to come to Wii U before I buy any of them...also hurry up with Wario Land 3 for 3DS Nintendo.

It's sad they can't simultaneously add Mega Man 6 to Wii virtual console and Wii U along with 5 on Wii U.
Unify your crap company.

I can't wait for the successor to 3DS, and I hope for way better screen resolution, complete portable backwards compatibility and of course, a second analog. Please never ditch the perfect clamshell design though.

BNNlDd_CAAAr_jF.jpg:large

Game Gear's Crystal Warriors and Sonic 2 coming soon to VC I guess.

Why the hell is the 3DS VC suddenly getting 4 games a week? Not that I'm complaining, it just seems so...random.
It's all the GG backlog. I'm not complaining either. :3

With M2's 3D remakes though, I'm a little worried Sega may be getting out of VC entirely. In Japan GG hasn't seen a new release in over 3 months, and there's no indication of MS/MD hitting either 3DS or Wii U in the future. :/

BriBri

Regarding the Wii U's Virtual Console, how many of the following platforms can you either see or cannot see coming...

Mega Drive/Genesis
Master System
Nintendo 64
PC Engine/Turbo I forget the name
Game Cube
Neo Geo
Dreamcast
Saturn
Arcade
Commodore 64

Personally I only see N64 as a lock, Master System/Megadrive/Neo Geo/Arcade possibly, C64/PC Engine unlikely and Saturn/Dreamcast/GameCube as a no.

serplux

Regarding the Wii U's Virtual Console, how many of the following platforms can you either see or cannot see coming...

Mega Drive/Genesis
Master System
Nintendo 64
Game Cube
Neo Geo
Dreamcast
Saturn
Arcade
Commodore 64

Personally I only see N64 as a lock, Master System/Megadrive/Neo Geo/Arcade possibly, C64/PC Engine unlikely and Saturn/Dreamcast/GameCube as a no.

The bolded are what I'm sure will come. GC is a maybe, the rest I'm doubtful.

It's all the GG backlog. I'm not complaining either. :3

With M2's 3D remakes though, I'm a little worried Sega may be getting out of VC entirely. In Japan GG hasn't seen a new release in over 3 months, and there's no indication of MS/MD hitting either 3DS or Wii U in the future. :/

Japan hasn't got Shining Force yet, do they? They're still doing GG games at least.

Mega Drive/Genesis
Master System
Nintendo 64
Game Cube
Neo Geo
Dreamcast
Saturn
Arcade
Commodore 64

C64 wouldn't surprise me at some point

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shantae got delayed to July, sadly. Maybe they'll do a sale on the DSiWare game to celebrate the GBC game finally being released.

N64 and GBA are 100% confirmed already.

I think I can see Sega/M2 coming with SMS/Genesis eventually, though it does worry me nothing's been announced yet. I can see D4 bringing NeoGeo too, they're still plugging away at Wii VC even.

Sadly MSX never seemed to go anywhere, same with C64, so they're likely out and I'd bet it also closes the door on other "computer" platforms. VC Arcade is dead and buried (such a missed opportunity!) with previous supporters such as Capcom or Namco opting instead for regular eShop publishing (D&D Chronicles of Mystara, Pac-Man Museum). Konami murdering Hudson is the crime of the century, and has pretty obviously deep sixed any future Turbo support on eShop or PSN.

I still hold a slim hope that later platforms like Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube might come eventually, though if it happens it'll be just a handfull of releases (like N64), due to emulation complexity.

serplux

I still hold a slim hope that later platforms like Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube might come eventually, though if it happens it'll be just a handfull of releases (like N64), due to emulation complexity.

I do expect more N64 games this time around on the Wii U VC (closer to 40-ish).

I do expect more N64 games this time around on the Wii U VC (closer to 40-ish).
I hope so, it's not like NST is doing much else these days. The only real major 1st party efforts still missing are Pilotwings 64, Excitebike 64 and Donkey Kong 64, so hopefully this means delving into 3rd party stuff (Goemon, Mischief Makers, Star Wars, etc).

I came close to buying it this morning (the JP version) but went for Kuma Tomo instead. Wish my finances could extend to both. The game looks ace in 3D.

But I've only heard rumours of it coming over but no confirmations that it was at E3.

The demo was in Japanese though right? It would be cool if more games kept coming over. I thought about importing it but it sounds like they really wanna release it here. I could see Atlus bringing it over like they did Code of Princess.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No Dungeons&Dragons? -_-
It's still in the process of being approved, so Nintendo might not have it ready until next week or so.

Is Tails Adventure worth the money?
Eeeeeh, it's okay. I played it on Sonic Adventure DX & Gems Collection. Honestly, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I thought it was one of the weaker Sonic spin-off titles.

steveovig

I can't fathom the idea that D&D didn't come this week. This is the kind of stuff Nintendo needs to work on. If your competition releases the same game one week and you release it a week later or more, that's a problem.

serplux

I can't fathom the idea that D&D didn't come this week. This is the kind of stuff Nintendo needs to work on. If your competition releases the same game one week and you release it a week later or more, that's a problem.

To be fair, they did release The Cave on the same day as PSN (Tuesday), even though that's not their normal update day. D&D seems to be a different story, for some reason.

Drago

And Wario Land 3. We need 8-bit Summer 2.

With Shantae being delayed by Nintendo to July, I imagine this is what's happening.

Wario Land 3, Kirby DL2, Shantae, Revenge of the Gator, Trip World, Revelations: The Demon Slayer, Mario Tennis GBC, maybe some excess Game Gear and NES titles; there's enough of a VC backlog to fill another 8-bit summer with. Not to mention, maybe some new games too.

serplux

With Shantae being delayed by Nintendo to July, I imagine this is what's happening.

Wario Land 3, Kirby DL2, Shantae, Revenge of the Gator, Trip World, maybe some excess Game Gear and NES titles; there's enough of a VC backlog to fill another 8-bit summer with.

Lol, we're a good 50 NES games behind Japan at this point. That does include Japanese exclusives, but still...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The most important pending Game Boy Virtual Console release is Game & Watch Gallery 3.
I played G&W2 & 3 so much as a kid (the original was....okay, but not much replay value), keep forgetting the 3rd game isn't on there yet. Wish they'd finally put it up.

Also wouldn't mind Wario Land 3 since I can't find my cartridge for it. Only have the 2nd one.

Now Nintendo needs to get around to releasing GBA games on Wii U....& announce it for 3DS. I want more than the 10 Ambassador games.

BriBri

The demo was in Japanese though right? It would be cool if more games kept coming over. I thought about importing it but it sounds like they really wanna release it here. I could see Atlus bringing it over like they did Code of Princess.
The demo? There is no demo for Sayonara Umihara Kawase - just an eShop video.

Kuma Tomo has a demo, and I just bought the full game. It is quite text heavy but the game is self-explanatory (cook, garden, shop, feed, teach swear words and bathe the bear)

The demo? There is no demo for Sayonara Umihara Kawase - just an eShop video.

Kuma Tomo has a demo, and I just bought the full game. It is quite text heavy but the game is self-explanatory (cook, garden, shop, feed, teach swear words and bathe the bear)

That sounds hilarious, "Teach swear words" xD

Is Tails Adventure worth the money?

It's a decent little sidescroller. Not exactly a Metroidvania, but has a good bit of backtracking to get to new areas using powerups you've gained in another area.

If I had to compare it to anything (at least as far as game structure goes), it's kind of like Wario Land 3 before Wario Land 3 was even a thing.

steveovig

I found some impressions from Nintendolife forums...

"I like it. The environments aren't terribly detailed, but the tank and bug models are exquisite-looking, and they really pop with the 3D maxed out. The gameplay is fairly simplistic. It's an arcade-style action game with a bunch of hidden items to find (mostly different types of tanks you can choose to control). Activating the linked content option gives you a sweet-looking gold tank that is fairly powerful at the beginning of the game. The story is nothing more than short snippets of the soldiers talking about how to survive.

There's a decent amount of customization options. Different types of shells to use, different paint colors for your tank, difficulty options, gameplay options (you can automate the tank's attack for when you get an enemy in your sights, or you can fire at enemies yourself, which I prefer), tons of different tanks to choose from, streetpass content, and local multi-player."

"You're given scores for each "mission." There's a decent amount of replay value between collectibles and mission grades. Also, a large number of missions. Of the Guild titles, arguably the only one that is comparable in length or value is Crimson Shroud."

Tails Adventures is pretty fun, I thought. One of my favorites from the Game Gear library, but then bear in mind that my Game Gear library was pretty much just Sonic games, barring Land of Illusion and Baku Baku Animal.

Tails Adventures is pretty fun, I thought. One of my favorites from the Game Gear library, but then bear in mind that my Game Gear library was pretty much just Sonic games, barring Land of Illusion and Baku Baku Animal.

Tails' Adventure isn't the greatest, but it is at least better than most all of Aspects' other GG games.

Cody_D165

Banned
Well GAF on a whim I decided to drop $5 on the Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog. My first Game Gear VC title.

And goddamn am I impressed. I haven't played the GG Sonics in years (or any Game Gear game actually), so this could just be me, but I swear I don't remember the games running this smooth.

Another thing: there's so many preference options for Game Gear titles! From screen stretching to blur effects... you can even change the border color from black to blue, yellow, or even to a red one (which was a Coca Cola edition system in Japan IIRC).

Why is there not this level of detail in the Game Boy releases?! Seriously the options impress me way more than the Nintendo VC games. This combined with the clear picture quality and smooth emulation definitely makes this the definitive way to play Game Gear stuff... I want to buy more. Probably will grab Mean Bean Machine now too.

Tails Adventure and the Shining Force game look good. What's the opinion on Sonic Blast, GAF? Any good? Kinda gives me a Donkey Kong Country vibe from the sprites.

MarkusRJR

Why do the NES 3DS VC games support X/A and B/A, but the Game Boy games don't? I bought Super Mario Land 2 off that assumption and it's nigh-unplayable with B/A.

Tails Adventure and the Shining Force game look good. What's the opinion on Sonic Blast, GAF? Any good? Kinda gives me a Donkey Kong County vibe from the sprites.

Sonic Blast is really, reeeaaally horrible. :( The game constantly struggles with massive slowdown, the level design is boring, the viewing area is way too cramped, hit detection is dodgy and... yeah, avoid!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well GAF on a whim I decided to drop $5 on the Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog. My first Game Gear VC title.

And goddamn am I impressed. I haven't played the GG Sonics in years (or any Game Gear game actually), so this could just be me, but I swear I don't remember the games running this smooth.

Another thing: there's so many preference options for Game Gear titles! From screen stretching to blur effects... you can even change the border color from black to blue, yellow, or even to a red one (which was a Coca Cola edition system in Japan IIRC).

Why is there not this level of detail in the Game Boy releases?! Seriously the options impress me way more than the Nintendo VC games. This combined with the clear picture quality and smooth emulation definitely makes this the definitive way to play Game Gear stuff... I want to buy more. Probably will grab Mean Bean Machine now too.

Tails Adventure and the Shining Force game look good. What's the opinion on Sonic Blast, GAF? Any good? Kinda gives me a Donkey Kong Country vibe from the sprites.

RE: the emulation question, the reason GG games have so many more features is because the GG emulation is handled by M2 a.k.a the best emulation devs in the business. They've even got link cable support working via local wireless, which is really impressive.

RE: Sonic, all the other 8-bit Sonic platformers (Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Blast) were made by a different dev so they've got a different feel, especially the later games which are trying a bit harder to mimic the console games. Blast is genuinely horrible, the others are at the very least playable. I don't think any of them are worth bothering with, really, but Triple Trouble is probably your best bet, I suppose.

Top Bottom