• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS pictochat universal????

samusx

Banned
I am wondering, is the built in Pictochat feature of the DS universal? Meaning if I have a Japanese DS and a North American DS can they understand each other, or is it coded to not work? I hope it is region free. It would be stupid if not.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I would assume the only thing barring them from working together would be standards for wireless..er..I forget the correct terminology, but if there was some standards difference between countries, that could be an issue.
Or am I confusing this with something else?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think this was somewhat covered in another thread when someone asked that if the DSes are region free, will people in europe with american games be able to play against american and vice versa. I think someone mentioned that there *may* be issues since some wireless standards aren't the same between japan/us/europe. But then nintendo may be using their own standard based on wifi that'll be the same across all territories...

maharg

idspispopd
gofreak said:
I think this was somewhat covered in another thread when someone asked that if the DSes are region free, will people in europe with american games be able to play against american and vice versa. I think someone mentioned that there *may* be issues since some wireless standards aren't the same between japan/us/europe. But then nintendo may be using their own standard based on wifi that'll be the same across all territories...

If they are different enough to cause problems, it's because the unlicensed bands of frequencies usable for wifi do not overlap. That's not something Nintendo can easily overcome.

But I don't think that's the case. I believe wifi is basically the same all over the world, give or take a few 'channels' that are not available in specific areas.

Memles

But is it INTEGRATED in the sense that it is in the system? It has to be.

Thus, wouldn't you be getting a Japanese PictoChat in Japan and an English one in all other areas? Or will they be offering language options for European countries? Should be interesting. Because there seemed to have been some form of typing mechanism for more standard chat functions, maybe it will have language options.

Top Bottom