• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS - secret plug and colored NDS

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
Er, isn't that just an indicator light?
Well, I got the picture from IGN, and the accompanying text reads as follows:

The microphone, required for the Nintendo DS' promised voice recognition capabilities, hasn't changed positions. The microphone is essentially in the same exact location on both systems. But on the new design, it's more clearly marked and visible...not camouflaged by the shiny, black plastic border.
- http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/534/534141p1.html

So maybe the picture is of the indicator light, but from the way the paragraph is worded, the actual mic is on there somewhere.

Mama smurf: we're saying the secret could be a head-set with a microphone and headphone built in. It would explain having the port right next to the headphone jack, and beyond that, it would make a great deal of sense for a unit that might potentially be used as an internet phone (along with voice communication in many games.)

Oh, and if you look at the "mic" picture posted, it actually says "Mic" right next to the hole, so it's not an indicator light.

For the record, my bet is on head-set as well.

jarrod

Banned
JasoNsider said:
Oh, and if you look at the "mic" picture posted, it actually says "Mic" right next to the hole, so it's not an indicator light.
Er, couldn't it be an indicator for the mic? It doesn't look like a hole, and there's two similar marks on the other side of the DS....

nintendo-finalizes-the-ds-20040728064915452.jpg

MacGuffin

It's not like the GBA doesn't have speakers and Nintendo still tried to get us to buy head phones for the thing. It'll likely just be another add-on item, but the "secret" will be the fact that you can use the head phone to do different things, like perhaps talk trash or make a phone call....who know, I certainly don't....just an idea.

EDIT: The pic does look like Lights. The other ones would be the On/Off/Low Power light and the charging light as seen on the SP now.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
JasoNsider said:
Mama smurf: we're saying the secret could be a head-set with a microphone and headphone built in. It would explain having the port right next to the headphone jack, and beyond that, it would make a great deal of sense for a unit that might potentially be used as an internet phone (along with voice communication in many games.)

I know what you're saying, I just don't understand the need for it. The system already has a microphone, it already has a headphone port, what's the difference with a headset?

EDIT: If it is a microphone, worst secret ever Nintendo. That's even worst (far worst in fact) than the GC controllers big secret being the double click.

Jarrod, I personally think it says "mic" because it is the mic. Regardless, we're talking about the special port here. With everything we'se seen so far in terms of hardware architecture, the two ports could be related in some way, and a head set would probably make the most sense in that regard.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mama Smurf said:
I know what you're saying, I just don't understand the need for it. The system already has a microphone, it already has a headphone port, what the difference with a headset?
As I said before, for an application that requires constant use of the microphone, it makes a lot more sense than holding the DS up to your face to speak into it, especially if you're in a noisy environment.

MacGuffin

human5892 said:
As I said before, for an application that requires constant use of the microphone, it makes a lot more sense than holding the DS up to your face to speak into it, especially if you're in a noisy environment.

Exactly what I was saying!

Mama Smurf

Well I'd rather assumed Nintendo hasn't been stupid enough to build in a microphone you have to hold up to your face for it to register.

Mama Smurf said:
I know what you're saying, I just don't understand the need for it. The system already has a microphone, it already has a headphone port, what's the difference with a headset?

Well, there are small advantages. You could potentially speak softer and even talk in loud areas. You would have to put your face to the unit and talk if you were on a loud bus and wanted to talk to your buddy while playing Animal Crossing. Imagine how silly that would look. At least with a head-set you could just play your game in a normal, relaxed position and talk normally without having to raise your voice.

Mama Smurf

I guess it could be that then. It'd make more sense if that MIC. bit was just a light. Nintendo have already had to drop motion control because of cost, it would be strange for them to build in a microphone if it's just coming with an adapter anyway.

It's a crap secret though, we know it has a microphone Nintendo! Stop making us think it's something cool!

Jonnyram

The whole topic of "secret plug" comes from a Nintendo Dream article, which makes really sure to dissuade people from the mic idea by saying "Oh, it could be a mic... but there's already a mic on the machine, so that's not likely." The more favourable comparison is made with modern walkmans which have an extra plug for the remote control functionality. Before you start talking about MP3 control and stuff, Nintendo Dream is also quick to point out that it is unlikely to be related to music (since it's a game machine), but rather something to do with games... it sounds odd anyway.

I'm gonna throw in my vote for "microphone input." Makes sense that they'd let you use an external one on a headset.

Since it's a secret I'm guessing they'll show a headset when they do the big DS info avalanche.

I don't see why a headset would need it own input... A triple connection connector is very common, so I don't see the point of having an auxiliary port, unless the headset has some other functionality than sound output/input.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm thinking its for some unknown peripheral - not a headset jack.

My best guess is that its a plug for a DS-USB cable. This would come in handy if an NDS camera was ever made. With an NDS camera you could:

Take pictures
Draw on or edit them using the stylus
Send them to friends via the wireless technology used in Picto-chat.

The cable would allow you to transfer pictures from the DS to a PC. So basically the DS would become a digital camera. Just a guess.

Its either for that or for a cable that would allow you to use the DS as a controller for the Revolution. The wireless capabilities of the DS probably aren't fast enough for you to be able to control the gameplay on the Revolution using a stylus and what not. There is a lot of input involved and there might be some lag. An actual cable to connect the two systems would solve that issue.

It a connection for a external DS controller which will have an analog stick built into it, most games on the machine will be 2D so there is no need to have a analog on the machine just have it on the external controller which you can bring with you when you know you are going to need it. This external controller can be clipped onto the bottom of the machine so you can carry it and the DS at the one time while you play on the move!

I WIN :)

Mama Smurf said:
I guess it could be that then. It'd make more sense if that MIC. bit was just a light. Nintendo have already had to drop motion control because of cost, it would be strange for them to build in a microphone if it's just coming with an adapter anyway.

It's a crap secret though, we know it has a microphone Nintendo! Stop making us think it's something cool!

Well in a sense I guess it has to be a crap secret because of the way it's being treated. Since it's going to be some sort of accessory, they must not see it as too vital to the system. And we haven't heard anything leaked from developers about it (so either it's a feature they're not supporting, or it's not worth mentioning they're supporting it). So a microphone headset combo kind of fits the bill, since it only adds some convenience, and not functionality, it would be easy to fly under the radar.

Anyway, like others have said, it seems to be a good guess that whatever it is connected to the headphones somehow. Aside from a microphone, the only other thing I can think of would be something like one of those bio sensors that came with Tetris 64 in Japan and clipped on your ear.

AirBrian

JasoNsider said:
Jarrod, I personally think it says "mic" because it is the mic. Regardless, we're talking about the special port here. With everything we'se seen so far in terms of hardware architecture, the two ports could be related in some way, and a head set would probably make the most sense in that regard.
Just to add to Jason's post, according to Nintendo Power it is the mic. They said that the mic was located on the left below the base screen. That's the mic.

Shiggy

Yes, but the two pictures of the DS systems were made on the E3.

Is it really the Microfon? On the other side there seems to be lights:

nds_2slot.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Can a SS (sexual stimulation) port be far behind? Coupled with a touch screen - oh the possibilities!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Blackbird said:
for those who still don't believe the microphone theory:
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/cubeeurope/index.cgi?board=ds&action=display&num=1093256747
check out my post there (third from above). It looks like it'll be some connector for a headset...
Wow, nice find.

For those too lazy to look:
secrethole.jpg

24. Headphone / MIC. Connector (from the DS manual)

I suppose there's a chance that the "24" refers to the headphone jack doubling as a MIC input, but that seems pretty doubtful -- can an input/output even exist in the same jack?

Mama Smurf

Oh, cool, mystery solved I guess.

That would have been a pretty nice surprise if Nintendo had just shut up about it.

daMandus

Why did Nintendo make a manual for DS illustrated with pictures of the old design? I guess no one knows, but it's a bit strange,

Blackbird

human5892 said:
Wow, nice find.

hehe... no find at all. I'm of the same guys who came up with those test reports last time. And with those reports, there was the conceptual DS manual showing you the unit itself described. ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Alright Nintendo, enough already with the Secret Holes and other distractions. Just spill the beans. Price. Date. First-party games.

No more damned headset plug talk.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well my idea got shit on. And it was too un-nintendo ;). Though I was originally picturing the whole not so close to the headphone port etc.

M3wThr33

Banned
Is it too hard to imagine they'll sell special DS headsets with dual wires. One is a standard jack, but the mic is special and they plug in next to each other? That way you can use the headset to at least listen to other things like your CD player from Sony.

Are DS cards a bit like Smart Media? Games are coming on 128 meg cards, that'd be alright for an albums worth of songs or two, or some pictures. I was kinda hoping it would have been an accessory that could have taken advantage of that kind of storage... managing song lists, or warping pictures with a stylus would have been compelling stuff :(

A headset!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
New Nintendo Power mentions wireless gaming upto 16 players up to 30 feet ("and farther under optimized conditions") as well as WiFi compatability.

Here is the only color combo I want, btw. Non-Shiny black + gunmetal gray.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess that the port is (was) the mystery, but the DS being able to be used as an internet phone is the secret.

Blackbird

Society said:
Do you really think they would put a secret in the manual? :p

who ever said this hole would be the secret? ;)
afaik, it was said that the NDS still held a secret, which was soon to be revealed. Secondly, various sites went LOOKING at the NDS and came up with this hole...

I merely supplied you with some details on the hole ;)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, BTW I like the redesign a lot (hadn't seen it before this thread) though the shiny color insets around the screens were interesting because they were different.

Top Bottom